Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:45 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
Funny, as probably the oldest dude here, I can pretty much guess the ages of folks by their entries. I'm sure people look at mine and have no idea what I'm talking about!
It's not that I'm all that young as to not remember ice box pies. I think it's a regional thing because I've not heard of them before, and I'm not from KY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 04:40 PM

631 posts, read 1,885,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
It's not that I'm all that young as to not remember ice box pies. I think it's a regional thing because I've not heard of them before, and I'm not from KY.

Gotta agree with you on that one. I too think ice-box pies are a regional item. My hubby and in-laws had never heard of them before (they are northerners) but boy they sure like them now. I get request for the lemon ice-box pie every summer picnic we have.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:48 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
That's okay though. I love learning about/trying regional dishes. That's half the fun! I didn't know what a frito pie was either until I moved to Texas!

Old 08-27-2008, 06:42 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
They had frito pies at the fair, I wish I would have gotten one.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:52 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
Burger Queen became Druthers.

From Queeny Bee to "I'd ruther eat at Druthers".

The Cape Codder at Hikes Point was pretty popular with us when we moved to Louisville. I never liked fish, but I liked their deep-fried shellfish (& the cole slaw was pretty, good, true that!).

Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
If you want a great cookbook for Kentucky and esp old Louisville recipes, Miriam Flexners "From Kentucky Kitchens".

There's a good recipe for Benedictine there, and beer cheese.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 PM

205 posts, read 587,510 times
Default trying to recover previously burnt brain cells to recall..

There was a hangout called Donna's by Shawnee high..

King's Table

Dairy Maid on Bank St.

Little Giant Food Stores

Taylor Drugs and SupeRx, Neff's Pharmacy on Portand and a pharmacy at 34th and Market with a long German-sounding name like Danehauer or Danehoff

Consolidated

Convenient

Ayr-Way

Cliff Hagan's Ribeye

King's Record Shop

House of Seven Gables across from Fountaine Ferrry

Band Geeks like me will recall Durlauf's(sp?) and Shackelton's

Hill Bros. Two pairs of shoes, $5.00 (sing the jingle "Man Alive... Two for Five... Head for the Hills")

Kurtz Liquors at 41st & Bank sold Icees out the window at the rear of the store Seems like I remember an automat around fourth street

Is Blue Boar still open?

Levy Bros Third and Main, or maybe Market... for Boy Scout gear

Never went threre, but my older brothers had tales of Beggar's banquet.

I'm blanking out on the name of the big store on 7th Street in Shively ... Arlens?

Old 08-28-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Burger Queen became Druthers.

From Queeny Bee to "I'd ruther eat at Druthers".

The Cape Codder at Hikes Point was pretty popular with us when we moved to Louisville. I never liked fish, but I liked their deep-fried shellfish (& the cole slaw was pretty, good, true that!).
I do beleive there is a Druthers in Camblesville

Old 08-28-2008, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickp View Post
There was a hangout called Donna's by Shawnee high..

King's Table

Dairy Maid on Bank St.

Little Giant Food Stores

Taylor Drugs and SupeRx, Neff's Pharmacy on Portand and a pharmacy at 34th and Market with a long German-sounding name like Danehauer or Danehoff

Consolidated

Convenient

Ayr-Way

Cliff Hagan's Ribeye

King's Record Shop

House of Seven Gables across from Fountaine Ferrry

Band Geeks like me will recall Durlauf's(sp?) and Shackelton's

Hill Bros. Two pairs of shoes, $5.00 (sing the jingle "Man Alive... Two for Five... Head for the Hills")

Kurtz Liquors at 41st & Bank sold Icees out the window at the rear of the store Seems like I remember an automat around fourth street

Is Blue Boar still open?

Levy Bros Third and Main, or maybe Market... for Boy Scout gear

Never went threre, but my older brothers had tales of Beggar's banquet.

I'm blanking out on the name of the big store on 7th Street in Shively ... Arlens?
Blue Boar left several years ago, I don't remember the 7th street store. I do remember Taylor drugs though. I also remember Levy's though my grandpa always called it Jacob Levy's I also remember Convenient, I think they all became Dairy Mart didn't they? I loved the commercials they had with Ernest

Old 08-28-2008, 01:26 PM

209 posts, read 738,960 times
Ah, Blue Boar - fried chicken, buttered lima beans,cloverleaf bun, a huge wedge of iceberg lettuce slathered with thousand island dressing - my standard order. The flagship Blue Boar was on 4th Street, on the block between Broadway and Chestnut. Back when I was a kid that was theatre row: The Kentucky, Ohio, Loew's, Rialto, Mary Anderson. Next to the Blue Boar was Readmore, a big bookstore where I spent hours and grew my love for literature - a love that informed my career as a teacher. Also on the block (according to my aging 10-year-old eyes): Taylor Drugs, Will Sales, DeBro Frocks, Shakleton's Music...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area