U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 05:22 PM

9,602 posts, read 20,539,991 times

Advertisements

There are some good people on the West End, but it is really a terrible place to live. There are abandoned buildings everywhere and crime is comparable to South Chicago or West Philly in some of the worse areas of WE.

I volunteered a couple of times at the Portland Museum and there were typically 3-4 broad daylight drug pick ups at the corner of 24th and Lytle per HOUR. I even saw prostitutes soliciting serveral times on Bank Street as well. I wish that areas like Portland or Russell could be saved and repopulated, but that will never happen until police and residents start taking preventative steps instead of just making chalk marks on the sidewalk, which is the current status quo.

VABoy, I would highly recommend Original Highlands for you since it offers affordable apartments near bus lines down Barrett and Baxter in a safe and quiet environment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 07:01 PM

102 posts, read 289,172 times
It just depends where at in the west end.

The southwest end around Valley Station and Pleasure Ridge Park (PRP) is completely safe. The NORTHwest end, areas like Portland, is where you want to stay away from.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:59 AM

16 posts, read 40,799 times
You folks are great! Westend is out. If I wanted to live in an area like that I might as well stay in Vegas.Thanks for all the great replys.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:10 AM

149 posts, read 455,511 times
I have family in the Ville and in the New Berg area is nice. Also around Bardstown Rd, Hikes Point...general areas in the 40218 zip. Shively is decent as well.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:48 PM

Does anyone know of any place cheap to stay in (maybe a weekly motel) for about a week while I check things out after getting there? I'd rather get something permanent to start with but realize that may not happen. If anyone knows of any phone numbers concerning rentals I could call before I got there, that would be great! I am looking for a studio or efficiency, something reasonable. Once again, thanks for everyone's help.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:53 PM

14 posts, read 43,373 times
When I first came to Louisville about 2 years ago I stayed at the Best Western on Dixie just south of the expressway. The place was pretty rough and on my first night there I found drugs in the bottom of the nightstand. Just a heads up.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:39 AM

Smile Thanks for the heads up

Knowing where not to stay is a big help. I don't need trouble or to be in a drug infested place. If anyone knows of a decent and reasonable priced place please let me know.Maybe someone on the forum has a nice and reasonable priced place for rent,if so please e- mail me personaly to avoid breaking any forum rules. I hope I didn't break any rules by asking that question. Thanks everyone and have a nice day.[ 3-days to go]

Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 AM

5,321 posts, read 10,611,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia countryboy View Post
Does anyone know of any place cheap to stay in (maybe a weekly motel) for about a week while I check things out after getting there? I'd rather get something permanent to start with but realize that may not happen. If anyone knows of any phone numbers concerning rentals I could call before I got there, that would be great! I am looking for a studio or efficiency, something reasonable. Once again, thanks for everyone's help.
I stayed at the Suburban Extended Stay on Taylorsville. It's a bit out of the city and near all the big box stuff, but the prices were right (I think 31.99 per night on a weekly rate, otherwise 40 a night) and it has a kitchenette, it's safe, clean, and I never felt unsafe.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 AM

5,321 posts, read 10,611,193 times
By the way, why does the city, police, etc have a problem with cleaning out W Louisville? Lots of cities have cleaned up their bad areas. What sort of challenges does Louisville have that prevents it from doing so? Just curious

Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 AM

9,602 posts, read 20,539,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
By the way, why does the city, police, etc have a problem with cleaning out W Louisville? Lots of cities have cleaned up their bad areas. What sort of challenges does Louisville have that prevents it from doing so? Just curious
The general vibe you get from city officials and most citizens is that the West End and much of the South End is past the point of no return, so why not leave it as is to keep the problems from spreading to the East End and Downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area