U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 AM

209 posts, read 633,687 times

Advertisements

I saw on another forum a brief statement that Museum Plaza would begin construction this coming January and City Center in June. No info source was cited. Can anyone here confirm this? MP will accelerate both the need for and the likelihood of a focused art community. The Wilson-Brown power may assist, may run counter to a 'crowdsourced' creative activism, but even if it runs counter to it, it will help it.

As for CC, I am militantly ambivalent about it. Cordish brings in nothing but boring entertainment and retail Walmarts, but just the presence of that activity should help the places that will no doubt be the real arts centers: NuLu, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM

6,312 posts, read 13,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
I saw on another forum a brief statement that Museum Plaza would begin construction this coming January and City Center in June. No info source was cited. Can anyone here confirm this? MP will accelerate both the need for and the likelihood of a focused art community. The Wilson-Brown power may assist, may run counter to a 'crowdsourced' creative activism, but even if it runs counter to it, it will help it.

As for CC, I am militantly ambivalent about it. Cordish brings in nothing but boring entertainment and retail Walmarts, but just the presence of that activity should help the places that will no doubt be the real arts centers: NuLu, etc.
No, there is no confirmation for the start of either. Apparently, the utility work that has closed river road, and a new flood wall around seventh street are under construction now, which is I guess "site prep" for MP. The city has a final deal for Center City with Cordish, but I have heard that construction may not even begin until 2010. I think we will know more about both after the fall elections, and after the holiday season.

Here is an excellent almost scary source of info:

Broken Sidewalk - Louisville From The Ground Up

Old 09-10-2008, 08:02 AM

Thanks, stx... I was a bit suspicious. Broken Sidewalk (yes, what a fantastically informed development blog!) notes that the electrical tower work for MP has, in fact, begun. But the critical issue (besides financing) is whether research has found a new way to deal with the 'drilling and shaking' problem that stopped the dig.

Meanwhile, down in NuLu, this is going on: very encouraging for the kind of creative atmosphere I have been touting. This past weekend I went on the AIA tour of residences that included condos in Byck's and Fleur-de-Lis. The Byck's location is in the 'wig store' block of 4th (something Tom Waits joked about in his Palace concert last year) - and probably won't be very desirable till City Center is finished. FdeL, though, will have an impact immediately: great design and location. Its street-level retail (no doubt in part a restaurant with some al fresco dining) will add to the mixing and talking stuff we need. Legacy Lofts will do the same. It's too bad the block with Primo and Market on Market is crashing too soon (Primo closes at the end of the month, MoM very soon, and Boston's Florist - a great one btw - moved down to mid-NuLu). Only Matthew at Derby City Espresso is doing okay. If it weren't for the madness of our Bush-induced financial crisis, we would be thriving and really growing.

Meantime, what we have to do - and we do it on this forum - is get people to come here - new people, adventurous people: As Richard Florida says in Who's Your City? (which is discussed in this thread), in order to grow, attract, change, thrive, a city needs bohemians, gays, immigrants, a vital racial and ethnic mix... creatives.

We're making it more and more welcome...

Old 09-21-2008, 04:15 PM

14 posts, read 43,362 times
Speaking of art, I recently attended a showing of short films by local filmmakers that was presented Louisville Film Society. The show was nicely presented on the rooftop of the parking garage next to 21C downtown. The outdoor city atmosphere was a great setting and it was a "bring your own blanket or chair" sort of thing, which was cool.

I do have to say though that I was a little disappointed in the quality of the work that was shown. I guess I just set my expectations a little too high, and was assuming that a city of this size with such a strong focus on the arts would have a stronger and more cohesive film scene.

I do applaud the Louisville Film Society and their efforts, but I think we need a group or a scene in this city that's more focused on film and video production on a broader level.

Last edited by 30_year_nap; 09-21-2008 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: typo! :P

Old 09-22-2008, 03:18 PM

I'm sorry I missed this event, if only to show my support. LFS is fighting the good fight getting film to catch up to the other arts here (especially music). It is unfortunate none of the local colleges has a film studies program (as far as I know). There is the potential out there, but without some true formal training going on, it will be hard. It would be great if Stu Pollard or Gil Holland or Will Oldham or someone else with clout and knowledge of cinema arts got something going.

There is a fair amount of film-related stuff going on at the Idea Festival. I'll be at Idea Kentucky on Wednesday and hope to get filmmaking on the agenda. I have an All Access Pass to IF, too, and hope to make some connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or