U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:34 PM

81 posts, read 175,582 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I appreciate it. Yes the jury is still out and that's the way it will probably always be, but I think the voucher system is an interesting concept that could definitely improve public schools through free-market style competition, even though it has potential problems... for one, schools may become selective. I guess I just don't think it is healthy for children to be forced to compete to get into schools their parents want them to attend. And many parents start the game when their kids are just two or three, fighting to get them into certain pre-schools. Competitive pre-school?! I hope we both agree this is just a little... INSANE. Yet many people do it, and they don't stop until their kid gets into Ivy League, burns out, or turns on them. It disgusts me because most aren't doing it for the kid, they're doing it to in some twisted way glorify themselves, and I guess you can see why I distance myself (and in the future my kids) from such a system. Furthermore, I just so happen to believe that one of the most important skills a child can acquire is the ability to lead a self-directed life, not dictated in every way by some overbearing parent. A child can never develop the emotional maturity to take responsibility for their own life until you give them a little slack. They need to learn to do the right thing because they believe it is the right thing, not because doing otherwise would lead to punishment. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, putting them in public school in a way forces them to confront reality. It says, "I'm not going to pay somebody to cram knowledge down your throat. You can make it here, but your future is entirely up to you." At least that's how I felt (by high school at least, haha). And I will leave it at that because I am done with my philosophical ramblings and I don't want to hijack your thread anymore than I already have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,250 times
Default just wow... misinformation

"If you don't have $7-9,000 per year per child, you will not have the choice of a private/parochial school. I don't know who is getting in, or how they are, but the slots to get into Male, Manual, Y-Pass, etc, are terribly rare. A newcomer without "pull" will find very tough going when trying to get their child into one of the best JCPS schools."

wow, tomocox, that is not even true. Manual is a terrific school, as are Atherton and Ballard. Pretty much all the good schools in Louisville require an application, not an "invitation" as you put it. But these schools are also consistently performing the highest in the state. Manual has been ranked one of the top public schools in the country, actually. And all students going to middle schools in Louisville are given the opportunity to apply. The most qualified candidates are chosen every year, with those who aren't admitted given the opportunity instead to attend one of louisville's other stellar public high schools. you don't need "pull" at all to get into a public school. you just need good grades and hard work. (in fact, apart from st. xavier, trinity and sacred heart, the private schools can't really compete with manual high school, and those schools can hardly keep up academically.)

and "y-pass" (YPAS) is a school for the performing arts (Youth Performing Arts School) so students are admitted based on their auditions for music, theater, and dance programs. (all of which are of a higher caliber than anything you can get in oldham county.)

Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,476,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineum67 View Post
"If you don't have $7-9,000 per year per child, you will not have the choice of a private/parochial school. I don't know who is getting in, or how they are, but the slots to get into Male, Manual, Y-Pass, etc, are terribly rare. A newcomer without "pull" will find very tough going when trying to get their child into one of the best JCPS schools."

wow, tomocox, that is not even true. Manual is a terrific school, as are Atherton and Ballard. Pretty much all the good schools in Louisville require an application, not an "invitation" as you put it. But these schools are also consistently performing the highest in the state. Manual has been ranked one of the top public schools in the country, actually. And all students going to middle schools in Louisville are given the opportunity to apply. The most qualified candidates are chosen every year, with those who aren't admitted given the opportunity instead to attend one of louisville's other stellar public high schools. you don't need "pull" at all to get into a public school. you just need good grades and hard work. (in fact, apart from st. xavier, trinity and sacred heart, the private schools can't really compete with manual high school, and those schools can hardly keep up academically.)

and "y-pass" (YPAS) is a school for the performing arts (Youth Performing Arts School) so students are admitted based on their auditions for music, theater, and dance programs. (all of which are of a higher caliber than anything you can get in oldham county.)
I appreciate your challenge to my posts; however Pollyana does seem to reside in Jefferson County. I simply suggest that you reread your own post. While you are correct, three of Kentucky's best scoring high schools are located in Jefferson County, so are the absolute bottom 5 with the rest mediocre at best. You took the poster schools and sang the JCPS adminstration's song.

Now, if JCPS was truly interested in the welfare of "all" the children of Jefferson County, why wouldn't all the county's schools follow the models of the best in the county? Those schools are the ones which operate with traditionally based curiculum.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 8,250 times
DuPont Manual is far from a traditional high school. How do you explain its success? And as previously discussed in this post, actually, a huge reason for schools that are performing poorly is the lack of funding provided by the state, which makes it extremely difficult for schools in the inner city to provide a quality and varied education to its students, including instruction in the arts. Jonathon Kozol discussed these issues in his book Shame of the Nation, in which Jefferson County was actually commended for having incredibly integrated schools due to its innovative program, something that is causing huge problems in urban schools across the country. This would lead the reader to believe that the only thing standing between students at urban Louisville schools and academic success is proper funding from their schools. Maybe instead of begrudging the county the stimulus money it's receiving, you should be applauding the state for recognizing this educational discrepancy as a problem and attempting to fix it. (I will not even go into the issues I have with judging schools based solely on standardized test scores.)

Old 04-30-2011, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,386 times
I would be concerned as a parent to have a child in a JCPS school because when you get right down to it they just don''t care.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,386 times
i would agree, I work for JCPS and am ashamed to admit it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area