U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:39 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,327,831 times

Advertisements

I don't get the obsession with the Highlands... What's the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:47 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I don't get the obsession with the Highlands... What's the big deal?
It's only the most active, eclectic, and vibrant neighborhood between Chicago and Atlanta. That's why. The only nearby cities with one neighborhood so large, so dense, so eclectic, so historic on a great park, and so walkable are Columbus and Saint Louis. While Cincy, Nashville, and Indy have some nice little urban nabes, you would have to combine several hoods in each city to equal the Highlands.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:56 PM

23,001 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
It's only the most active, eclectic, and vibrant neighborhood between Chicago and Atlanta. That's why. The only nearby cities with one neighborhood so large, so dense, so eclectic, so historic on a great park, and so walkable are Columbus and Saint Louis. While Cincy, Nashville, and Indy have some nice little urban nabes, you would have to combine several hoods in each city to equal the Highlands.
Easy there!! You'll have some Northwest Washington DC residents coming with pitch forks with that statement.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,327,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
It reminds me of downtown Royal Oak, MI or Athens, OH

But then again, those are more white, so they don't count, I guess.

When I walk the Highlands I find it very overpriced and overrated.

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not the end-all be-all of neighborhoods.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:56 AM

58 posts, read 94,270 times
I grew up and graduated from High School there. I left after High School and returned after 10 years in the hopes it had "grown" in stature and sophistication. I should have trusted my instincts.

Pros:
1. Louisville is a good place for families and to raise kids. Although there are better school systems in other states in my opinion.
2. Louisville has relatively low crime.
3. The cost of living is reasonable.

Cons:
1. Sadly Louisville is the only large city (sorry Lexington is not a large city) in a state that provides a demographic it will never escape. Or stigma. I travel extensively. When I strike up a conversation in airports and the "where are from?" question eventually comes out the word Louisville is quickly washed over with the follow up word: Kentucky. Once they hear word two theres no going back. Other than the KY Derby which over decades has become less and less significant to the rest of the country except for eccentrics, gamblers and local executives and their hat wearing wives on Oaks Day, there's really nothing that puts Louisville on the map for the rest of the country. Sorry.
Many people from the state's rural areas come to Louisville for work or after divorces etc. Louisville is a blue collar city that will always be heavily influenced by the state it is in.

2. No pro sports
Unlike Cincinnati (which is close in size to Louisville) I don't think KY will never get a pro team in any major sport. Pro Sport activities can help transform an after 5pm and weekdays only downtown into a more vibrant lively downtown. But that being said college sports are way overrated in KY and the rivalry between U of K and U of L fans is worse than a Ford vs Chevy argument in a Walmart.
3. Single (dating) life after 30: Is awful. Its riddled with baggage and issues mostly caused by paragraph one. There are "local" websites that have flourished as a direct result on "The Ville's" dysfunctional single's scene.

Many would argue that Louisville's "out of main stream" view is an advantage. I'll stick with the main stream.

For transplants Louisville definitely can be a welcome change from other cities. Its a pleasant city to live in for many reasons. But for those of you that have lived all your lives in Kentucky I cannot encourage you more to try and look past your county, city or state. There's truly some incredible places to live if you are willing to push past your comfort zone.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 PM

452 posts, read 705,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_1970 View Post
I grew up and graduated from High School there. I left after High School and returned after 10 years in the hopes it had "grown" in stature and sophistication. I should have trusted my instincts.

Pros:
1. Louisville is a good place for families and to raise kids. Although there are better school systems in other states in my opinion.

Cons:
1. Sadly Louisville is the only large city (sorry Lexington is not a large city) in a state that provides a demographic it will never escape. Or stigma. I travel extensively. When I strike up a conversation in airports and the "where are from?" question eventually comes out the word Louisville is quickly washed over with the follow up word: Kentucky. Once they hear word two theres no going back. Other than the KY Derby which over decades has become less and less significant to the rest of the country except for eccentrics, gamblers and local executives and their hat wearing wives on Oaks Day, there's really nothing that puts Louisville on the map for the rest of the country. Sorry.
Many people from the state's rural areas come to Louisville for work or after divorces etc. Louisville is a blue collar city that will always be heavily influenced by the state it is in.

2. No pro sports
Unlike Cincinnati (which is close in size to Louisville) I don't think KY will never get a pro team in any major sport. Pro Sport activities can help transform an after 5pm and weekdays only downtown into a more vibrant lively downtown. But that being said college sports are way overrated in KY and the rivalry between U of K and U of L fans is worse than a Ford vs Chevy argument in a Walmart.
3. Single (dating) life after 30: Is awful. Its riddled with baggage and issues mostly caused by paragraph one. There are "local" websites that have flourished as a direct result on "The Ville's" dysfunctional single's scene.

Many would argue that Louisville's "out of main stream" view is an advantage. I'll stick with the main stream.

For transplants Louisville definitely can be a welcome change from other cities. Its a pleasant city to live in for many reasons. But for those of you that have lived all your lives in Kentucky I cannot encourage you more to try and look past your county, city or state. There's truly some incredible places to live if you are willing to push past your comfort zone.
Excellent post!!!

However, I have some questions and comments:

- KY does take a bad rap, perhaps deservedly so, but its not quite right to judge a city by the state. Why should you? You could live in Louisville and be in 6-8 contiguous states in 4 hrs or much less if you hated the state so much.
An educated person would realize that Louisville is a major US city that has a great medical school/physicians, #28 ranked graduate business school program, center for glass art/arts in genera, a fortune 100 companyl. I mean the scientists who came up with the first HPV vaccine (Gardasil) live in Louisville! They might win this city a Nobel Prize someday!
So perhaps someone might dismiss Louisville, as they hear "Kentucky" but they shouldn't.

- I can see the singles scene being a bit of a disappointment. It is not the most wealthy, progressive, or educated city, but you can definitely find a comfortable clique and that can definitely define a singles scene. Plenty of wine tastings, art galleries, coffee shops, bars (4th st/btown rd/german town) etc. to meet singles. And the bars are open until 4 AM!

- Absolutely agree with your assessment of the sports scene! Its a mess STL, ATL, CINCI, INDY, NASH all have pro teams leaving LVILLE with a craptastic basketball rivalry (*ducking in cover)...ok maybe not craptastic...fun, but just overplayed and overhyped.

- "I'll stick with the mainstream" Your location says you are from south jordan, UT. Is that mainstream? Am I not privy to something?

Overall, excellent summary of Louisville!! (with some sweeping generalities) I can't wait to move out of Louisville as I can't bear the winters, but I think it is a great city to raise kids/live a nice midwestern/southern lifestyle----I'm sure I will miss some of the great things Louisville offers.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:16 AM

17 posts, read 38,390 times
Downtown looks comptely desserted on the weekends during daylight hours with the exception of KY Derby and concerts. Racial separation looks obvious. The one Pro I love is the restaurants are awesome. Some of the best Greek, Korean, and Indian food I've tasted are located in Louisville.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Easy there!! You'll have some Northwest Washington DC residents coming with pitch forks with that statement.
That statement doesn't include DC obviously which is part of the NE megalopolis! I am saying for the lower Midwest (outside Chicago and Atlanta), and for much of the Southeast (New Orleans would be one of the only southern towns with an area so vibrant, and Texas is not really the south), the Highlands of Louisville is a special, often unrecognized place. And to those who simply drove Bardstown road a couple times when visiting town, you really have no idea what I am talking about.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner72 View Post
Downtown looks comptely desserted on the weekends during daylight hours with the exception of KY Derby and concerts. Racial separation looks obvious. The one Pro I love is the restaurants are awesome. Some of the best Greek, Korean, and Indian food I've tasted are located in Louisville.
This statement is completely inaccurate. Downtown is pretty vibrant at most times. And while Louisville is a top foodie city, there are very few true Greek restaurants.

The comment regarding separtion of races is true of every major city. Whites live here, blacks there, and Hispanics somewhere else. Look at any census data map broken down by race, and you will see this fact. Everyone else mixes in. If anything, I see more interacial couples in Louisville than some other places I have seen.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_1970 View Post

Pros:

Cons:

2. No pro sports

...says the guy from Utah. You make some good points. It sounds like you never clicked with people in your hometown, but there are people from much larger cities who feel the same way. I have met people from DC, a top ten city, who feel the same about their hometown as you do about yours. You probably could not see outside the box in Louisville or did not find a good friend base.

That said, what do you think people think of when they think about Utah? I can personally vouch that Salt Lake is a great town, has a great, vibrant downtown, great transit, clean, and low crime, and is suprisingly urban. But with the exception of shopping downtown and transit, you could say the same about Louisville. Both towns are similar in size but in states that are known for conservative religion and often stereotyped nationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area