Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:00 AM

58 posts, read 112,714 times

Advertisements

[quote=poophead;15169815]Excellent post!!!

However, I have some questions and comments:

- KY does take a bad rap, perhaps deservedly so, but its not quite right to judge a city by the state. Why should you? You could live in Louisville and be in 6-8 contiguous states in 4 hrs or much less if you hated the state so much.

I agree completely. But we're not talking common sense or logisitics here. the view "is what it is".

An educated person would realize that Louisville is a major US city that has a great medical school/physicians, #28 ranked graduate business school program, center for glass art/arts in genera, a fortune 100 companyl. I mean the scientists who came up with the first HPV vaccine (Gardasil) live in Louisville! They might win this city a Nobel Prize someday!
So perhaps someone might dismiss Louisville, as they hear "Kentucky" but they shouldn't.

You bet they shouldn't but see paragraph one.

- I can see the singles scene being a bit of a disappointment. It is not the most wealthy, progressive, or educated city, but you can definitely find a comfortable clique and that can definitely define a singles scene. Plenty of wine tastings, art galleries, coffee shops, bars (4th st/btown rd/german town) etc. to meet singles. And the bars are open until 4 AM!

In some pockets sure. But it doesn't even come close to most other cities.

- Absolutely agree with your assessment of the sports scene! Its a mess STL, ATL, CINCI, INDY, NASH all have pro teams leaving LVILLE with a craptastic basketball rivalry (*ducking in cover)...ok maybe not craptastic...fun, but just overplayed and overhyped.

And because of the "KY" stigma I don't think ther will ever be a Pro Football or Basketball team in KY ever.

- "I'll stick with the mainstream" Your location says you are from south jordan, UT. Is that mainstream? Am I not privy to something?

LOL. You are too polite. I live in the Salt Lake City, Utah area. Its not LA or Las Vegas but it has a completely different demographic than Kentucky. The West has it's issues also. But Utah is an oasis compared to most other western states. (In my opinion)

And in regards to the differences between the two. I'll refer you to this revealing study from the Daily Beast. America's Smartest Cities—From First to Worst - The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-10-04/americas-smartest-cities---from-first-to-worst/ - broken link)

-Overall, excellent summary of Louisville!! (with some sweeping generalities) I can't wait to move out of Louisville as I can't bear the winters, but I think it is a great city to raise kids/live a nice midwestern/southern lifestyle----

Agree on the sweeping (I lived in KY for a couple sweeping decades so my generalizations are qualified) and I agree on the good place to raise kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
This statement is completely inaccurate. Downtown is pretty vibrant at most times.
I guess the key word here is what "vibrant" means to you and me. I would strongly suggest you visit other cities over weekends such as Boston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Seattle and Baltimore's inner harbor area. They are completely different worlds downtown. Most these cities have prosporing condo developments, downtown shopping malls (with lots of shoppers) and connecting light rail or better to the airport etc, and also very walkable dining options closely linked together downtown as well. Louisville however, Other than certain pockets like 4SL, O Malley's corner, and a handful of bar areas is mostly dead after 5PM nightly. Especially on Friday. I have had travelers from other locations fly in to Louisville on a Sunday in preparation for a Monday meeting. Each described a Sunday early afternoon downtown as a deserted "ghost town".

Vibrant? Sorry I completely disagree. Anemic would be the better term.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:48 AM

And with that post I am moving on my posts only to my new home. I wish all of you the upmost happiness regardless of where you call home.

Former Louisville resident of over 15 years. Chase.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 PM

146 posts, read 398,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_1970 View Post
I guess the key word here is what "vibrant" means to you and me. I would strongly suggest you visit other cities over weekends such as Boston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Seattle and Baltimore's inner harbor area. They are completely different worlds downtown. Most these cities have prosporing condo developments, downtown shopping malls (with lots of shoppers) and connecting light rail or better to the airport etc, and also very walkable dining options closely linked together downtown as well. Louisville however, Other than certain pockets like 4SL, O Malley's corner, and a handful of bar areas is mostly dead after 5PM nightly. Especially on Friday. I have had travelers from other locations fly in to Louisville on a Sunday in preparation for a Monday meeting. Each described a Sunday early afternoon downtown as a deserted "ghost town".

It seems to be pretty vibrant whenever I go there.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:46 PM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_1970 View Post

Every city you named is much larger than Louisville. Louisville is vibrant for its size. That said, I disagree about Cleveland. Louisville is much more vibrant and happening than Cleveand IMO. Louisville has a hip factor that Cleveland lacks. Ask the thousands of Cleveand natives living in Louisville (at last check, besides Lexington, Cleveland supplied more positive influx of its residents into Louisville than any city).

Also, you clearly don't know much about Louisville lately. Omalley's has been closed for a year or more. There is a whole new arena district which is growing in vibrancy, and main and market streets have gotten very nice in parts. There is still tons of work to do, but for a mid major city, Louisville has a nice, vibrant downtown on par with its peer cities.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:19 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,082,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Every city you named is much larger than Louisville. Louisville is vibrant for its size. That said, I disagree about Cleveland. Louisville is much more vibrant and happening than Cleveand IMO. Louisville has a hip factor that Cleveland lacks. Ask the thousands of Cleveand natives living in Louisville (at last check, besides Lexington, Cleveland supplied more positive influx of its residents into Louisville than any city).

Also, you clearly don't know much about Louisville lately. Omalley's has been closed for a year or more. There is a whole new arena district which is growing in vibrancy, and main and market streets have gotten very nice in parts. There is still tons of work to do, but for a mid major city, Louisville has a nice, vibrant downtown on par with its peer cities.
Cleveland is coming back, you'd be surprised at the downtown area these days!

Also, Pittsburgh is barely larger than Lexington :S

Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 PM

59 posts, read 209,117 times
I must agree with Chase, downtown Louisville is not the vibrant place as stated by stx. It is a dump with potential. Yes, the new arena is going in and hopefully this city will wise up and modernize whiskey row and other areas which will make downtown look new and vibrant instead of ghetto. I don’t know what is so new on Main or Market other than the new BBC going in on Main and Third (which I am happy about.) Again, this city has great potential , but almost certain the do gooders will stymie any real modernization in an attempt to preserve buildings which I and many other could care one red cent about. Oh by the way, I walk these streets everyday Monday through Friday as a downtown employee and just do not see vibrant as the appropriate definition. It is in transition from ghetto to wait and see.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,775,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post

Pittsburgh Metro: 2,354,957
Louisville Metro: 1,258,577
Lexington Metro: 470,849

Slight difference.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:51 PM

728 posts, read 1,669,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post

Your kidding,right? I've been to both, and Lexington would be a suburb of Pitt. If Lexington never merged with Fayette Co, the city would be as small or smaller than Evansville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area