U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 03:29 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,963,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
For older cars, you also need to get a smog check
How old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 12:32 PM

10,553 posts, read 4,149,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
How old?
I'm not positive. It may be for cars older than 5 years old which means I'll have to have mine smogged this year. That means time and money to go smog it and getting a smog certificate. I won't know until October when my registration is due.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:16 PM

20 posts, read 12,226 times
Are you talking about for California? Cause KY does not have a required smog test for cars anymore. VET ended years ago.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:17 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,318,023 times
Quote:
In CA I paid this year $178 for annual registration. The fee does go down with each year as the car depreciates. For older cars, you also need to get a smog check done on it which is more $$$. My car is a 2011 kia so the fees in Kentucky aren't bad but that's true of almost every tax and fee imaginable compared to CA.
Pa is like that as are a lot of Northereastern states. A total scam. Two inspections that the garage has carte blanche to charge whatever they want b'cause your car is hostage. Incredibly expensive.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
Are you talking about for California? Cause KY does not have a required smog test for cars anymore. VET ended years ago.
Yes, I am talking about CA. Kentucky will hopefully be much easier and somewhat less expensive.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Pa is like that as are a lot of Northereastern states. A total scam. Two inspections that the garage has carte blanche to charge whatever they want b'cause your car is hostage. Incredibly expensive.
Exactly. Unless you are a mechanic, you have to trust what they tell you and if your car doesn't pass for whatever reason, you could spend a lot more making repairs and the smogging it again until it passes. You could be out a lot of money making needless repairs just to get your car registered.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:20 AM

9,599 posts, read 20,512,817 times
If they did inspections in Kentucky or Indiana traffic would greatly improve as 1/3 the vehicles around here wouldn't pass.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:50 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,963,223 times
Quote:
Exactly. Unless you are a mechanic, you have to trust what they tell you and if your car doesn't pass for whatever reason, you could spend a lot more making repairs and the smogging it again until it passes. You could be out a lot of money making needless repairs just to get your car registered.
It seems obvious to me that you should never pay a mechanic to fix problems he finds. Find a mechanic who is good at inspections and diagnosis, then go to a mechanic who is good at fixing those problems. Using the same mechanic for both gives them a clear conflict of interest, which can be very costly.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:25 AM

120 posts, read 118,514 times
Thank you for the discussion. This makes me feel a little better. The KY DMV website is a little confusing. I'm going to give them a call today or tomorrow and I'll let you know what they tell me. My registration renewal for my new car here in FL was around $58 and we don't have that inspection stuff. When I was a kid I remember going thru the inspection with my mom but they ended that in the 80's here.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
It seems obvious to me that you should never pay a mechanic to fix problems he finds. Find a mechanic who is good at inspections and diagnosis, then go to a mechanic who is good at fixing those problems. Using the same mechanic for both gives them a clear conflict of interest, which can be very costly.
In order for your car to be "smogged", it has to be certified by a state authorized smog station. These are specific mechanic shops that are certified by the state that have the equipment to do this work. These same places that do the smog test are also the ones that will usually make needed repairs or tweaks to your exhaust system in order for your car to pass.
If you take your car someone else after it fails, that mechanic wouldn't be able to diagnose why your car didn't pass the smog inspection or retest it to see if the repairs he made solved the problem.
In other words, you can take your car elsewhere if your car fails the inspection but then you still have to take it back to the original shop or another shop that does these inspections and they are the ones will retest it and certify it if it passes.
The mechanic you chose to take your car to for the repairs is pretty much doing it blindly since he doesn't have the capability to know what needs to be repaired and retest it. The testing is done by sticking a tube in the exhaust pipe and hooking it up to a special computer that reads exactly what exhausts your car is spewing out and in what quantity.
I hope some of this makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area