U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:43 AM

120 posts, read 118,300 times

Advertisements

And to add to my post from earlier, I should have mentioned that I paid around $250 to register my new car for the first time with FL. It was based off the purchase price. Im more concerned with that usage fee because I saw a "6% percentage on the price of the car" statement on the DMV site. That really confused me. I will check back later today after I talk to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 07:24 AM

10,543 posts, read 4,141,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc74 View Post
And to add to my post from earlier, I should have mentioned that I paid around $250 to register my new car for the first time with FL. It was based off the purchase price. Im more concerned with that usage fee because I saw a "6% percentage on the price of the car" statement on the DMV site. That really confused me. I will check back later today after I talk to them.
The State of CA is also bouncing around the thought of a usage fee. My understanding of how that will work is that in addition to your yearly car registration, you will be charge a certain amount per mile that you drive. The more you drive, the more your usage fee will be.
I hope that won't happen, but given how spend happy the CA legislature is, I won't be shocked if that happens at some point. Leave it to CA to suck every penny they can out of you especially when it comes to your car. People here are very dependent on cars to do almost everything from going to work with long commutes to going grocery shopping. I'm holding my breath on that one.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:31 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,315,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The State of CA is also bouncing around the thought of a usage fee. My understanding of how that will work is that in addition to your yearly car registration, you will be charge a certain amount per mile that you drive. The more you drive, the more your usage fee will be.
I hope that won't happen, but given how spend happy the CA legislature is, I won't be shocked if that happens at some point. Leave it to CA to suck every penny they can out of you especially when it comes to your car. People here are very dependent on cars to do almost everything from going to work with long commutes to going grocery shopping. I'm holding my breath on that one.
That would work out well for me because I only put about 1200 miles a year on a car, but Im still against it.
"They" make a society that revolves around the car--people need it to survive--and then put a crazy prohibitive cost on it? Just not right. Easy extort, they hold people hostage, just like inspections

Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 AM

421 posts, read 309,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I paid more than 6% sales tax on the car (8.25% sales tax in Tx).
I know it's been 8 years since this post, but this is incorrect. Auto tax in Texas is only the state portion (6.25)... no city/county add on that brings it up to the common 8.25% general 'sales tax'.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:09 AM

120 posts, read 118,300 times
Hello, it's been awhile since I've been in the forums but if you don't mind, I'd like to raise this specific thread once again. Hopefully it will help someone moving to the beautiful state of Kentucky. First of all, my daughter and I finally made the move! It's been a bit of a whirlwind and at one point I thought we were moving out west with my job. However, Kentucky was always the plan and in our hearts. We moved to Covington about a month ago - I originally thought we would move to or near Bowling Green but the job potential brought us further north. So here we are! A side note: this is a little lengthy and I apologize but I want to provide real time experience to others. Some may go through something different but this is what happened to me in Kenton County Kentucky.

I have very recently been through the whole car registration and drivers license process. You probably don't remember this but we moved from Florida. Once we made the move, the first thing I checked on was car insurance:

I was with Geico for probably 15 years and never had a problem. I have a newer financed car and my 18 year old daughter drives it part time as we car pool for now. I expect to pay more because of this. I was hit with a major bombshell when I called Geico and told them that I moved and needed a new policy for Kentucky. Holy cow! My premium doubled! I was not expecting that at all and I can't afford it!! So while I was panic strickened, I called Progressive and they were about the same price. I called KY Farm Bureau and they were even more expensive plus a membership fee! After a lot of prayer, stressing for a few days and research, I found an agent in Lexington with Liberty Mutual. The premium is slightly cheaper than the one I had in Florida with Geico and the policy is for 12 months instead of six. I can live with that. So I took it of course and added renters insurance. The monthly payment is still cheaper than it was before I moved. Thank you baby Jesus! If you need an insurance agent in KY, I will hook you up!

Drivers License: this was the easiest and cheapest. My daughter and I both had to provide mail showing the new KY address, social security cards, FL drivers license and pay the fee which was minimal. I believe it was $7 for my daughter and $18 for mine. They took a piece of my mail that had been forwarded from FL as a valid form. Simple. This was a very nice and cheap process compared to the crazy DMV mess in Florida.

Transfer of the Car Registration: this got a little hairy and I almost had a melt down but it ended well. So Florida files car titles electronically and KY uses good ole paper. That's not a big deal but waiting for FL to convert a title to paper and mail to KY takes 3 solid weeks. So after I waited for that, the office in KY told me to bring "proof of insurance, drivers license and proof of tax paid when I bought the car". Not a big deal, I bought it in 2015 and I have all the paperwork from the dealership. I get to the office, they pull my title and tell me that I need an inspection. I was blindsided and FL doesn't do this so I didn't know what to expect. They sent me a few doors over (same building) to the Sheriff. I paid $5 for him to walk out, check the mileage and the VIN and that was literally it. I go back to the office and the lady becomes very snippy and tells me the dealership didn't notarize something and I will have to get that done to save money. What!? After going around and around for about 10 minutes, she realizes that I just moved to KY and I don't need the notarized whatever. She was thinking that I lived in KY and bought a car in FL. Huh?! Moving on, she told me that I get a discount because I had proof of the taxes I paid. It came to $42 for the registration and a sticker for 2017 and 2018, plus their filing fee of $26 so I paid $68 total. She didn't mention the yearly tax but said the stickers are normally $21 which is cheaper than Florida.

I don't know where that 6% fee comes into play but I think I somehow avoided it. My advice for anyone moving to KY:

#1 Call the different offices ahead of time to make sure you are prepared and have all the paperwork ready before you go. If they think you are missing something, they tend to become instantly rude and have no problem telling you to come back another time without offering any real help. It was interesting how nice things became after the lady realized her mistake though.
#2 The DMV and Clerk of Court are in 2 different buildings in Kenton County. The confusing part is you have to go to the Clerk of Court for the drivers license where there are court hearings and those old cops standing by the metal detector are not friendly. The DMV is a block away for the car registration. Confusing! They should be in the same building. The web site is not super clear.
#3 You may have to shop for car insurance. Nobody could tell me why insurance is so much higher in KY compared to Florida (which surprised the heck out of me) but it definitely is so plan for it. My first and only complaint about KY so far - I wish they would take some of that insurance money and apply it to road repairs. My poor tires! Heads up to any newcomers - the roads are rough! No joke.
#4 If you are thinking about moving to KY, do the research but ultimately just do it. This move has been a blessing to my daughter and I. And yes, you will find a job. We found plenty!

Good luck! We're happy to be here finally! But boy do I have questions for a different thread! ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area