U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Visiting Louisville: housing, downtown, real estate, hotels, golf course.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 AM

54 posts, read 210,197 times

Advertisements

Being a snob is ok. A lot of times, it's just having good taste. I feel like you would fit in well around the Highlands. To me, the Highlands is, for a lack of better words, "real". No one there (seems to) care about who you are or what you do. If you are a chill person open to others, people in this area will accept you. You should hang out for a night at Cumberland Brews or spend a morning at Days Coffee (often referred to as "Gays", not derogatorily, just because it seems to be a common hang out for the gay community) where you will truly see creative class individuals that reside in the area.

I do have to warn you, Louisville can be a bit provincial. Many non-natives find the question "where did you go to high school" question a bit annoying. However, that doesn't mean they don't like outsiders. It's just that Louisville has, for a long time, been a place mostly occupied by people who grew up here. I don't think anyone takes offense to saying "I didn't grow up here". My wife is not from Louisville, and has had no trouble assimilating at work. (I'm not mentioning any social assimilation because she mostly hangs with my friends). However, the people I hang out with are from all over. Boston, Cincinnati, Philly, and of course, Louisville.

I also just want to let you know I'm not trying to "sell" Louisville, but I just want to make sure stereotypes don't drive any assumptions. A lot of times, it's hard to get past a preconceived notion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 11:10 AM

87 posts, read 182,660 times
Default Reply to Emanrasu

Thank you very much for your insight. I am very nervous about this possible (probable?) move, and any reassurance is appreciated.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:20 AM

Default Reply to Emanrasu

Thank you very much for your insight. I am very nervous about this possible (probable?) move, and any reassurance is appreciated.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:05 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
enofile, Louisville is a much cooler city than Milwaukee, and you have only scratched the bottom of the surface of what it has to offer. I am not sure when you were here, but part of the problem of you judging the city on a recent Saturday is that over 300,000 people recently lost power due to the hurricane we had. Much of the city was in the dark so of course it was dead. On a warm summer, fall, or spring day, Louisville is much more vibrant than Milwaukee. The park system is larger and nicer, and like Milwaukee, there are great festivals, especially in the spring (kentucky derby festival).

I am a Chicago native and we used to go to Milwaukee each summer for Summer Fest. I can assure you that Louisville has a much stronger restuarant scene. You really need to join the forums at LouisvilleHotBytes.com and ask them what the "go to" places are. You have eaten at Varanese and Proof, both of which are excellent options. The Oakroom at the Seelbach Hilton is the only five star restaurant between Chicago and Atlanta. The arts are huge in Louisville, and many new venues and events promote them including:

First Friday Trolley Hop

F.A.T. Friday Hop (http://fatfridayhop.org/about.html - broken link)

St. James Court Art Show

Actors Theatre of Louisville - Humana Festival of New American Plays (http://www.actorstheatre.org/humana.htm - broken link)

There is way too much to post here, but here are some more helpful sites:

Broken Sidewalk - Louisville From The Ground Up

Consuming Louisville

Home | LEO Weekly

Metromix | Your Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide

Backseat Sandbar

Here is a walkable area with a bar district that you completely missed, along with my favorite bar there:

Brendan's Restaurant & Pub - Brendan's Temporary Main - Brendan's Louisville

There are also many wonderful boutiques in that area. Here is my favorite:

CLODHOPPERS

There are dozens of others of this level all over this area, and the Highlands, Crescent Hill, and Clifton. There is no Saks here, but Von Maur is nice and this local boutique has a nice upscale collection:

Welcome to Rodes

After shopping at Rodes, try this restaurant:

mojitos louisville - Google Maps

The location is generic, but the food is not!

Louisville is growing faster than Milwaukee, is warmer, is getting more transplants, more jobs, and for all practical purposes, is similar in size to Milwaukee. I think that if you were to move here, you would fall in love with it, but it is also close to several different cities like STL, Chicago, Indy, Nashville, Cincy, Lexington, etc for day trips out of town. There is lots lots more but hope this has helped! Also, check out our Louisville development thread to see some of the major projects planned for downtown, which I agree, needs a little work, but it is fastly up and coming!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:01 PM

Dear STX 1249,
Thank you so much for your advice, and we are moving to Louisville. I am still very nervous since I will have to retire from my position in Milwaukee and have the task of finding something to do in Louisville. All your suggestions seem great. My wife will be moving down first, and I will forward your suggestions to her. I will be following her to Louisville some time this winter. Thanks again.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:54 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,834,490 times
Hello all!

I am just curious on the fact.... why does everyone in Louisville bash Cincinnati so much? I find both cities to be expriencing downtown booms, and lots of new and exciting projects. Sometimes I wonder if people in Louisville are jealous of Cincy.??? Only due to the fact that I never hear people in Cincinnati bash Louisville, but in this forum, Cincy gets bashed a lot.

I was just excepted to a firm here in Cleveland, and will be traveling across the country for new projects and urban developments. I will be going to Cincinnati on Sunday for the new construction of the Cincinnati Riverfront Park http://www.crpark.org/ that will be under construction and be on pace with the new Banks http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...gory=newsbanks as well. I plan on going to Louisville for a day, then back to Cincy. Any ideas for places to visit in L'ville?

Also, really curious on my original question. Louisville and Cincinnati...

Last edited by Traveler87; 09-25-2008 at 06:05 PM..

Old 09-25-2008, 06:46 PM

153 posts, read 476,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Hello all!

I am just curious on the fact.... why does everyone in Louisville bash Cincinnati so much? I find both cities to be expriencing downtown booms, and lots of new and exciting projects. Sometimes I wonder if people in Louisville are jealous of Cincy.??? Only due to the fact that I never hear people in Cincinnati bash Louisville, but in this forum, Cincy gets bashed a lot.

I was just excepted to a firm here in Cleveland, and will be traveling across the country for new projects and urban developments. I will be going to Cincinnati on Sunday for the new construction of the Cincinnati Riverfront Park Cincinnati Riverfront Park - Let's Change the Landscape! that will be under construction and be on pace with the new Banks Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati newsbanks | Cincinnati.Com as well. I plan on going to Louisville for a day, then back to Cincy. Any ideas for places to visit in L'ville?

I love Cincy when compared with Nashville or Indy, however, I've always felt like the greater Cincy area took advantage of Lville. I still love Cincy.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Hello all!

I was just excepted to a firm here in Cleveland, and will be traveling across the country for new projects and urban developments. I will be going to Cincinnati on Sunday for the new construction of the Cincinnati Riverfront Park Cincinnati Riverfront Park - Let's Change the Landscape! that will be under construction and be on pace with the new Banks Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati newsbanks | Cincinnati.Com as well. I plan on going to Louisville for a day, then back to Cincy. Any ideas for places to visit in L'ville?

I've also lived in Cincy and I will tell you why: crime, sprawl, less growth, and too conservative. Cincy is a great city though! It has the infrastructure to be one of the nation's best, and the architecture in places like Over the Rhine is good enough to make an urbanite like myself weak in the knees. But overall, the city's racial tension, overt conservatism, (Hamilton was the only major US couty to vote Republican last election) and general lack of moxy and a new growth spirit make it less desirable (why is a place like OTR left to rot?). For what it is worth, I feel the same about Cleveland. Part of it is the poor economy in Ohio. Now, I prefer Cincy aesthetically to Nashville, but Nashville is a much more happening town, even though it is considerably smaller (still more in line with Louisville's size). Cincy does have pro sports and slightly better shooping options, but the urban saavy and hipness of Louisville far outweigh those factors IMO. Louisville is also cheaper and much more navigable, with friendlier folks on top of it all. Honestly, most people in either city don't think twice about the other unless it is for sporting events or using each other's airports (I'd say Ohio people use Louisville for its low fares as much as Louisville use CVG for its more direct flights and international fares).

Old 09-26-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enofile View Post
Dear STX 1249,
Thank you so much for your advice, and we are moving to Louisville. I am still very nervous since I will have to retire from my position in Milwaukee and have the task of finding something to do in Louisville. All your suggestions seem great. My wife will be moving down first, and I will forward your suggestions to her. I will be following her to Louisville some time this winter. Thanks again.
Please don't be nervous at all. If you liked Milwaukee, you will love Louisville. Louisville is kind of a funk soul brother twist, and it is much more temperate and friendly. It is also much safer and more desirable for families to live in the city. Honestly, Louisville ha sa poor national perception because of its lack of pro sports and location in KY. However, when people relocate, they do not want to leave. Many large companies like Humana have a difficult time gettibg people here, but once they are here, they don't want to leave, especially the young families.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:02 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,218,431 times
Quote:
I am just curious on the fact.... why does everyone in Louisville bash Cincinnati so much?
I think this comes from the natural rivalry of two close cities. And for years, Cincinnati kind of looked down on Louisville and let us know it. So there has been a fairly intense rivalry in sports, for conventions, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area