U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-16-2010, 12:16 PM
 
124 posts, read 208,899 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I completely disagree. Louisville is an infinitely more hip city than the Ham, and has nothing of the same old south, good old boy feel that has stagnated Birmingham. Also, Louisville does not have nearly the black population or crime. Louisville is also a decent clip larger in metro area. The southern city most similar to Louisville is clearly Memphis. Still, Louisville has lots in common with larger Midwest river cities, especially Saint Louis and Cincinnati. The east end of Louisville is nearly identical to the north suburbs of Indianapolis, where I have lived.
What you know about The Ham? lol!

Still pretty cool.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2010, 04:29 PM
 
6,305 posts, read 13,211,473 times
Reputation: 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingfromAL View Post
What you know about The Ham? lol!

Still pretty cool.
If Birmingham would merge, it would actually become more like Louisville, but it has too much of a declining inner city population where people are all about living outside the city. I think its school district is around 27k students now and almost exclusively poor inner city african americam. Louisville was going this route until merger. Also, Bham does not have the urban vitality of Louisville's walkable hoods, and its downtown is a bit behind Louisville's, altough improving nicely. I stayed in a rented condo in the City Federal for several months while working there so I know the city well. The locals were too obsessed with moving east, to Vestavia, Hoover, and beyond 459. Still, the city had a unique vibe, soul, and a sense of southern history, which I dig, but it is probably 20 years behind louisville with regards to being progressive and urban.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 01:47 AM
 
124 posts, read 208,899 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
If Birmingham would merge, it would actually become more like Louisville, but it has too much of a declining inner city population where people are all about living outside the city. I think its school district is around 27k students now and almost exclusively poor inner city african americam. Louisville was going this route until merger. Also, Bham does not have the urban vitality of Louisville's walkable hoods, and its downtown is a bit behind Louisville's, altough improving nicely. I stayed in a rented condo in the City Federal for several months while working there so I know the city well. The locals were too obsessed with moving east, to Vestavia, Hoover, and beyond 459. Still, the city had a unique vibe, soul, and a sense of southern history, which I dig, but it is probably 20 years behind louisville with regards to being progressive and urban.
Birmingham has INCREDIBLE potential it is just that our city officials...don't even get me started. City Federal is a pretty good building. Downtown is indeed on its way.

I LOVE my city and if there are any parts of Louisville that are reflective of my city (or vice versa), then Louisville is alright with me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 01:12 AM
 
4 posts, read 3,512 times
Reputation: 18
As a lifelong Louisville native I must say that The Ville is definitely more North than South. Its actually considered the "Gateway to the North" and that makes perfect sense. I've been all over the South, lived in FL for 3 years and have grandparents in ATL who I visit on the regular and it is pretty easy to see that there is almost NOTHING about Louisville that matches up. Here's some things about the South --- People are friendly, Christianity is the dominant religion, it has Spanish moss, swamps, palm trees, warm beaches, coconuts, pecans, red clay(see GA, AL), and warm weather persists about 9 months out of the year(sometimes even more. When I lived in Jax it got cold for like 3 weeks and that was it...). Louisville, although populated with many pro-Confederate wannabes, does not really have any of the aforementioned. Alot of people here are arrogant and classless. Sorry if that offends someone but I call it how it is. KY was actually a Union(Northern) state in the Civil War although it had slavery and did not take part in combat. Those of you talking about the Mason-Dixon Line, all that really is is a line that divides Pennsylvania from Delaware. And aside from all that, its really hard to classify a city as Southern that gets snow flurries and single-digit temperatures every year. It's actually coming a blizzard right now as im typing this lol. But anyway, believe what u want I guess, and those of you that say its the South, have fun pretending. ...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2014, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 8,921,655 times
Reputation: 3303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvin08 View Post
As a lifelong Louisville native I must say that The Ville is definitely more North than South. Its actually considered the "Gateway to the North" and that makes perfect sense. I've been all over the South, lived in FL for 3 years and have grandparents in ATL who I visit on the regular and it is pretty easy to see that there is almost NOTHING about Louisville that matches up. Here's some things about the South --- People are friendly, Christianity is the dominant religion, it has Spanish moss, swamps, palm trees, warm beaches, coconuts, pecans, red clay(see GA, AL), and warm weather persists about 9 months out of the year(sometimes even more. When I lived in Jax it got cold for like 3 weeks and that was it...). Louisville, although populated with many pro-Confederate wannabes, does not really have any of the aforementioned. Alot of people here are arrogant and classless. Sorry if that offends someone but I call it how it is. KY was actually a Union(Northern) state in the Civil War although it had slavery and did not take part in combat. Those of you talking about the Mason-Dixon Line, all that really is is a line that divides Pennsylvania from Delaware. And aside from all that, its really hard to classify a city as Southern that gets snow flurries and single-digit temperatures every year. It's actually coming a blizzard right now as im typing this lol. But anyway, believe what u want I guess, and those of you that say its the South, have fun pretending. ...
+1
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 04:00 AM
 
31 posts, read 33,811 times
Reputation: 72
This is a ongoing battle here lol, I have lived in Louisville for two years now but grew up in the midwest (Columbus, OH. Indianapolis, IN) I move around alot because of work, I would say to me midwestern people say Louisville feels south to were southern people say it feels midwesteren. Fact: Kentucky is a southern state, it sits in the upland regin of the southern US, however IN, OH, IL states that borrder KY to the north are midwestern states. So saying that Louisville is a midwestern city would be like saying Tijuana is in the United States. Just the same as Tijuana has that Mexican American border town vibe, Louisville has the Southern Midwestern border town vibe, but all in all it its a sothern city... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky

Kentucky was a Dual Government state during the Civil War, It had both many Confederate and Union armed forces, KY was undecided up until the end were it did declair itself Union...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentuck...ican_Civil_War

Last edited by pinciotti.rocky; 02-07-2014 at 04:15 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 AM
 
6 posts, read 8,082 times
Reputation: 15
Nope............no "ongoing battle." Get over the Civil War divides! Tijuana? Really?

Pure and simple, LouKy is Northern / Midwestern. There is No Southern about it. Hillbilly YES, but no Southern.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
4,307 posts, read 3,371,606 times
Reputation: 3029
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinciotti.rocky View Post
This is a ongoing battle here lol, I have lived in Louisville for two years now but grew up in the midwest (Columbus, OH. Indianapolis, IN) I move around alot because of work, I would say to me midwestern people say Louisville feels south to were southern people say it feels midwesteren. Fact: Kentucky is a southern state, it sits in the upland regin of the southern US, however IN, OH, IL states that borrder KY to the north are midwestern states. So saying that Louisville is a midwestern city would be like saying Tijuana is in the United States. Just the same as Tijuana has that Mexican American border town vibe, Louisville has the Southern Midwestern border town vibe, but all in all it its a sothern city... Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kentucky was a Dual Government state during the Civil War, It had both many Confederate and Union armed forces, KY was undecided up until the end were it did declair itself Union...
Kentucky in the American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Tijuana analogy was inaccurate, although I kind of understand your point. Being a Nashville native and spending a considerable amount of time with family in Cincinnati, Louisville on first impressions definitely felt more like the Midwest than the South. The accents were definitely not what you would hear in Nashville fairly neutral (but not nasally), and the people were very reserved and family oriented, very common traits of the Midwest. The look of the city was industrial/rust belt although the riverfront area was very nice, and definitely has potential. As others have said before, Kentucky is a southern state, however, Louisville and Northern Kentucky, especially, resembles very little of the rest of the state.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2014, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 8,921,655 times
Reputation: 3303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
The Tijuana analogy was inaccurate, although I kind of understand your point. Being a Nashville native and spending a considerable amount of time with family in Cincinnati, Louisville on first impressions definitely felt more like the Midwest than the South. The accents were definitely not what you would hear in Nashville fairly neutral (but not nasally), and the people were very reserved and family oriented, very common traits of the Midwest. The look of the city was industrial/rust belt although the riverfront area was very nice, and definitely has potential. As others have said before, Kentucky is a southern state, however, Louisville and Northern Kentucky, especially, resembles very little of the rest of the state.
Agreed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2014, 01:21 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
11,806 posts, read 9,746,333 times
Reputation: 10829
Visiting here now, and it does remind me of Cincinnati in that Northern/Southern dichotomy which is not quite resolved, however there is a more Bohemian vibe to certain parts of the city you don't find in Cincy. It's also funny I stopped at a gas station in an isolated area off I-71, halfway between Cincy & Louisville where the people had the prototypical KY drawl (of which we're accustomed in many parts of SW Ohio), yet an hour further down the freeway, I haven't heard it yet. I get the feeling Louisville is an oasis of sorts to liberal/eclectic types in what is otherwise a conservative, evangelical state.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top