Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:18 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Birmingham AL is very religious AND very industrial. I've always thought it's the most similar to Louisville of any city I've ever been too
I completely disagree. Louisville is an infinitely more hip city than the Ham, and has nothing of the same old south, good old boy feel that has stagnated Birmingham. Also, Louisville does not have nearly the black population or crime. Louisville is also a decent clip larger in metro area. The southern city most similar to Louisville is clearly Memphis. Still, Louisville has lots in common with larger Midwest river cities, especially Saint Louis and Cincinnati. The east end of Louisville is nearly identical to the north suburbs of Indianapolis, where I have lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:17 PM

257 posts, read 881,391 times
i agree that louisville is definitely most similar to memphis. they are about head to head in EVERYTHING! i think a comparison of louisville and memphis would be really awesome! anybody wanna start that?!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:49 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,185,884 times
I've never been to Louisville, let alone Kentucky. One of the few states I haven't been in. Generally speaking I would consider Kentucky to be in the South. However, only culturally. As it all lies north of 37 degrees N. Oklahoma, where I live, lies south of 37 N. I notice more of the western culture compared with the southern though, at least in Oklahoma City.

Louisville and N. Kentucky such as areas around Cincinnati are probably as close to Midwest as Kentucky gets, but generally still Southern. Again not speaking based on personal experience, but more so from sources on the internet, not the most reliable I'm sure.

One thing certainly not southern about Louisville, it does snow at least some...

Old 10-18-2008, 06:15 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,709 times
Default My opinion

I am from Louisville and to me it's the most "southern" northern town. Confused? Me, too. Louisville, as someone stated earlier, is a complete mix of everything so much so if we had another civil war Louisville wouldn't know which side to take, North or South. Probably a poor example but its the only one I could think of at the time. I can confidently say Louisville is a safe place to raise a family with christian values. Go!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:06 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I am from Louisville and to me it's the most "southern" northern town. Confused? Me, too. Louisville, as someone stated earlier, is a complete mix of everything so much so if we had another civil war Louisville wouldn't know which side to take, North or South. Probably a poor example but its the only one I could think of at the time. I can confidently say Louisville is a safe place to raise a family with christian values. Go!
I think Louisville would be split if the war was to happen again but who knows

Old 10-18-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
i agree that louisville is definitely most similar to memphis. they are about head to head in EVERYTHING! i think a comparison of louisville and memphis would be really awesome! anybody wanna start that?!
I love that too!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I completely disagree. Louisville is an infinitely more hip city than the Ham, and has nothing of the same old south, good old boy feel that has stagnated Birmingham. Also, Louisville does not have nearly the black population or crime. Louisville is also a decent clip larger in metro area. The southern city most similar to Louisville is clearly Memphis. Still, Louisville has lots in common with larger Midwest river cities, especially Saint Louis and Cincinnati. The east end of Louisville is nearly identical to the north suburbs of Indianapolis, where I have lived.
I have been to both Cinci and St Louis and I don't see the similarities much but maybe that is just me.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Birmingham AL is very religious AND very industrial. I've always thought it's the most similar to Louisville of any city I've ever been too
That's what I mean. People keep saying how "liberal" parts of Louisville are but I bet that there are less of those than conservative/religioius areas.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:54 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,539 times
Quote:
I have been to both Cinci and St Louis and I don't see the similarities much but maybe that is just me.
Can't say about St Louis. I agree with you about Cincinnati. Suburbia is pretty much the same everywhere, but the Cinci and Louisville are actually quite different in the older parts of town.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Can't say about St Louis. I agree with you about Cincinnati. Suburbia is pretty much the same everywhere, but the Cinci and Louisville are actually quite different in the older parts of town.
Thank you. Cinci just feels so, "crammed" to me and Louisville is more "small town-ish"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area