Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:27 AM

2 posts, read 33,930 times

Advertisements

I have a Boxer puppy and I am considering having her ears cropped, but I'm not familiar with any vets around here (recently moved to Louisville.) Does anyone have any suggestions? I am willing to go up to 50 mile out of Louisville for a good veterinarian. It will be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 08:40 AM

27 posts, read 131,422 times
Default Cruel

Why on earth would you want to put your dear animal through that, can you imagine how painful that would be. As a european and rescuer it not only is illegal in England but considered cruel.
Please let you Boxer be as he was made to be.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:07 AM

850 posts, read 3,157,940 times
There is a wonderfel Vet in the Highlands area - on Bardstown Road. I cannot remember the name - but if you are traveling north on B-town road - after you pass Kroger on the left - and I think also past 'earxtacy' (music shop) you will find it on the left.

Oh - wait 0- it's called Fairliegh Vet. center. This vet goes out of her way to take care of animals - the only one a very dear frined of mine will use.

As far as the cropping goes - while I myself do not approve - it is your choice - it is painful and healing is tough - but if you really want it done - that is the ONLY veteranarian I would recommed.

They are in the yellow pages. If you have trouble finding them - pm me and I will do more in depth digging.

Kimmiey

Old 02-18-2007, 07:55 PM

202 posts, read 833,610 times
I think Cropping should be outlawed everywhere. It's mutilation for cosmetic purposes only. So sad that people still do that.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 33,930 times
margoa78: Ear cropping is not as painful and terrible as everyone makes it out to be. The ear flaps have no bone unlike a dog's tail and dew claws and a cat's claws (a declawed cat has had the first joint of its fingers cut off. Talk about painful) and those surgeries are very frequently performed. I, personally, don't agree with declawing [and debarking for that matter] but it happens all the time; and though I wish I could change the owner's mind I know I cannot. They believe what they want to believe and they will have it done. What I can hope for is that the surgery is performed by a licenced vet that knows what he/she is doing so it will be as calm and comfortable as it can be for the dog or cat.

Anyway, with that said, thank you for the recommendation kimmieyky, I will definitely look into it.

aween: Ear cropping was not and is not solely performed for cosmetic purposes. The Boxer was always cropped because the breed was used to hunt, fight and kill wild boar for their owners. The owners would remove the ear to keep it from being ripped off by a boar which I would imagine would be more painful than a steady hand. The Great Dane was cropped for that reason, too. The Doberman Pinscher on the other hand was cropped and docked because their abnormally long tails and ears could be used as handles by the criminal. Again, I think the dog would be in more pain if the ears are yanks and pulled at and the tail was dislocated.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:47 PM

27 posts, read 131,422 times
Sorry to disagree but Yes ear cropping is as painful and terrible as we make out. I hope they outlaw this cruel procedure in this country also. Why do you think you have trouble finding a vet that will do it.
I also dont agree with declawing or debarking either, that is also not done in other countries and many vets here now wont do that either.

Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die,

Margaret
Shih Tzu Rescue. S. California

Old 03-09-2007, 04:28 PM

136 posts, read 568,951 times
Ear cropping was not and is not solely performed for cosmetic purposes. The Boxer was always cropped because the breed was used to hunt, fight and kill wild boar for their owners. The owners would remove the ear to keep it from being ripped off by a boar which I would imagine would be more painful than a steady hand

Is this how you plan to use the dog? If not PLEASE consider leaving her ears natural. Just because you can find a vet to do it (with difficulty) doesn't mean you should. I heard of a vet who was willing to cut off the healthy tail of a cat because the owner wanted a cat that looked like a Manx...

-Steve

Old 03-09-2007, 04:33 PM

from http://www.vet4petz.com/articles/cosmetic_surgery.htm

Cropping Your Dog's Ears
Ear cropping is done on a select group of dogs for cosmetic purposes only. Boxers, Great Danes, Doberman Pincers, Miniature Pincers, Schnauzers, Bouviers des Flandres, and American Pit Bull Terriers, are among the more common breeds in which ear cropping is performed.

Usually recommended to be done around the age of 10-14 weeks old, the procedure requires full anesthesia. The ears are then cut in a way that instead of flopping down to the side of the head, they stand erect on the head to a point.

In most breeds however, the ears require a period of bandaging and support splinting in order to get them to stand. This is essential for the ears to ultimately stand, and if not done sufficiently, the ears may not stand erect. The longer the ear length is, the more time required for splinting is necessary.

Although breeders can perform this procedure, it is best left to a licensed veterinarian, who has appropriate anesthetics. Puppies who undergo this procedure expect at least a few weeks of painful, sensitive ears. Unfortunately, the splinting of the ears is necessary especially during the early stages of healing, which adds to their discomfort. Unless you're planning to show your dog in conformation classes, ear cropping is un-necessary, and therefore becomes personal preference.

Be sure and understand all that is involved not only with the surgery, but afterwards during the splinting procedures. Know what to expect, and when to seek help during this time from your veterinarian, to avoid ears that ultimately won't stand.

The Association of Veterinary Medicine (AVMA), has recently made a statement regarding cosmetic ear cropping and tail docking in the dog. Essentially, and ultimately the AVMA would like to see this type of cosmetic procedure discontinued for cosmetic purposes only.

-Steve

Old 03-09-2007, 04:50 PM

Also see a thread here:

http://boxerboxerboxer.tribe.net/thr...0-e556932ecf8a

And look at the photos in http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.p...r=asc&&start=0 that is NOT a happy dog.

-Steve

Old 04-02-2007, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 16,541 times
I'm not going to get into the crop/no crop debate, but I'll tell you about our vet. My family has had boxers for over 30 years and has always taken our dogs to Shively Animal Clinic on Dixie Hwy. They've developed sort of a "cult" following over the years and the wait can be extremely long for general visits (especially if you want to see a particular doctor). You might want to drive by sometime and have a quick chat with the staff to help you decide if they're right for your boxer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area