U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 13,355 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving from South Carolina to Louisville, and ironically my biggest hesitation is winter. I am originally from Wisconsin, so I still have not been able to get those frigid nightmares out of my mind. What is Louisville like in the winter? Lots of snow? Lots of gray days? I know weather may be a silly thought for some, but I HATED Wisconsin winters, mainly due to that they seemed to last forever! Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 PM

72 posts, read 203,601 times
By most standards they are pretty mild. We typically don't have a long string of days where temps are in the teens. Snow is usually a "dusting" We get about 3 snow storms a year that will put out over 3 inches. Everything else is just panic snow. We do get more than our fair share of ice though. The roads usually are just warm enough to melt falling snow and then it refreezes as the night time temp falls. By 9am most of it is water again. Spring gets here quick and winter usually gets here late, so I really can't complain too much!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:00 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,081,168 times
I would agree with previous poster. I grew up in western Kentucky and lived there until college. I still have many relatives in Oldham county (Ballardsville area) and I followed the weather closely, especially winter weather as I loved the snow.

But the Louisville area does get quite a bit of cold rains in the winter....35 to 45 with clouds and rain quite often....then changing over to snow at the end of the storm. Just enough snow for a dusting on the roads but as the previous poster said it will dip below freezing at night very often and the wet stuff freezes so the "black ice" they call it can cause lots of accidents as what was wet is now icy. During the day is usually warm enough so that roads turn wet.

Now every few years there can be a pretty big storm with 6+ inches of snow (usually in January or early Feb) but it will warm up pretty quick and melt a lot of it. Snow seldom lasts on the ground for any long stretch. In a nutshell I view winters in that area as overall pretty mild....but you do have enough cold and snow for the kids to have fun in and close schools, but it warms up pretty quickly to melt it off. Usually you will see the first snowfall sometime in mid or late December (white Christmas can occur but are pretty rare) and by late February spring is coming fast. So your winter is 2-3 months long.

Now I hated living in western Kentucky in the winter as it snowed less there than in Louisville. For that reason I am now living in the icebox of the lower 48 in northwest Minnesota where Wisconsin winters are considered mild. And I have made weather forecasting a career.

Dan

Old 10-16-2008, 11:55 PM

666 posts, read 2,202,643 times
the above posters pretty much summed it up, our winters arent as mild as south carolina's, im sure, but they also are nothing compared to wisconsin or any other state up north. Its not unusual to have days in the 50s and this past winter we had 6 days in January that were in the 70's, which is pretty unusual, So 50s and 60s are fairly common, but so are temperatures that only reach in the low 20s, but they generally only stick around for a day or so. None of the monthly average high temperatures during winter are below freezing. When it snows/rains/sleets/ices here during the winter, storms generally move in and out pretty quickly and there are quite a few sunny days. And with the snow, it doesnt snow too often, and you can tell because if there is snow in the forecast, the grocery will be out of milk and bread because everyone feels the need to stock up in case its "the snowstorm of the century" and we might get snowed in for days.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:08 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,551,450 times
I agree with those above. We don't usually have a bad winter but I have seen some solid black wooly worms this year all ready... it may be bad this time!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:23 AM

926 posts, read 2,400,036 times
I work for Humana which is headquartered in Louisville so I have been down there for all seasons and I agree with everyone, they are pretty mild but they are good on snow removal. Just watch out for those earthquakes! lol (it happened over the summer, very mild and very unnexpected)

Old 10-17-2008, 07:29 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,551,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
I work for Humana which is headquartered in Louisville so I have been down there for all seasons and I agree with everyone, they are pretty mild but they are good on snow removal. Just watch out for those earthquakes! lol (it happened over the summer, very mild and very unnexpected)
That earthquake was just plumb WEIRD! LOL I have been through two tremors, the last one and the one back in the 80's.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:46 AM

926 posts, read 2,400,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
That earthquake was just plumb WEIRD! LOL I have been through two tremors, the last one and the one back in the 80's.
lol I had JUST left Evansville, IN (where is originated!) so I was glad to be back in Cincinnati but I remember waking up at 4:30 am to my wine bottles ontop of the refridgerator clinking (classy, I know right lol) and my first thought was- is someone trying to rob me of my wines? lol Then my bed starts to tremble and Im like....is this an earthquake? no, it cant be, Cincinnati doesnt have earthquakes, its just a heavy truck driving down the highway near me (mind you, its 4:30am and I was awoken to this, my thought process isnt that logical so early in the morning lol) so when the bed stops rumbling I go back to sleep not thinking anything of it, I was satisfied with my truck theory lol and then in the morning I turn on the news to see them talking about it and I have a gazillion text messages and emails asking if I felt it. The weird thing is, some people felt it and some didnt! lol very bizarre lol

Old 10-18-2008, 07:10 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,476,629 times
Typical gossip column. The OP asked about winter weather and the gossip got to earthquakes. Too Funny.

Anyway, the best way to describe Louisville area winters, is simply ...... ugh.. not so simple. A person moving to Louisville needs to come prepared. We can have anything from a mild seldom below 20 degree nighttime average to a blizzardly 22 inches of snow followed by days of never getting the daytime high out of the single digits.

Odds are in favor of two months of roller coaster weather. A week of super mild followed by a weak of chilly wet blah. Then six weeks of relatively cold days and nights where ice might form on shallow ponds and lakes. March, however can be wonderful or nasty with a mix of sunshine or gloomy deluges of rain.

Just enjoy knowing that in Kentucky, the story is "don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes"

Old 10-19-2008, 02:59 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,877,631 times
Quote:
I have been to both Cinci and St Louis and I don't see the similarities much but maybe that is just me.
This is how I remember winter weather. Actually Elvis Presely even sang about it: "Cold Kentucky Rain".

One bad winter thing is the occasional freezing rain thing, which can mess things up. Otherwise, I agree with the other posters on what I recall of KY weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or