U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 06:32 AM

4,521 posts, read 4,980,830 times

Advertisements

FYI about Jefferson Memorial Forest , one of our areas “Crown Jewels”. This includes the Horine and Yost sections as well. We are very fortunate to have this so close for our use. Usage is one of main thrust for the new master plan. How and when these improvements will be built is another matter but at least it is going in the right direction. KYMBA attends these meetings and mountain biking is being addressed as well. It would make for some world class riding if done right.

PLEASE GO TO THE “SAVETHETRAILS” LINK BELOW AND VOTE FOR THE FOREST IN THE NATIONAL COMPETITION TO HELP THE PARK RECEIVE A $5000 GRANT.
Use your computer to improve the Forest ’s trailsnow through Oct. 31
With a few clicks of your mouse, you can help the Louisville Metro Parks Foundation receive money for trail improvements at Jefferson Memorial Forest ! Go to www.memorialforest.com/savethetrailscompetition.htm now through Oct. 31 for instructions on how to show your support for trail improvement efforts at the Forest in an online voting contest. If the project receives enough votes to finish in the top 10, a $5,000 trail improvement grant from the National Trails Fund will be awarded to the Forest ! This will allow Metro Parks to build 2.5 miles of new trails, with a goal of improving connectivity within the Forest , and connecting to the Louisville Loop path.

Forest Master Plan presentation – Oct. 22, 6 p.m.
On Wednesday, October 22, at 6 p.m., citizens are invited to Fairdale High School ( 1001 Fairdale Rd ) to become among the first to see Jefferson Memorial Forest ’s new master plan, which will set a vision for continued growth, expanded facilities for education and recreation, and new nature programs to better serve the public and draw more visitors. The plan will also outline ways to connect the Forest to the Louisville Loop, a paved 100-mile path for pedestrians and cyclists that’s part of the Mayor’s City of Parks initiative. This plan was developed with significant input from the Forest ’s users and neighbors. If you can not attend the October 22 meeting will be able to review the master plan online at www.memorialforest.com within a few days of the meeting.

The Jefferson Memorial Forest master planning effort was managed by Metro Parks, with consulting services provided by Jones & Jones Architects and Landscape Architects, LLC. The Louisville Metro Parks Foundation is providing $200,000 for the project, with an additional $80,000 from Louisville Metro Government and $20,000 from the Louisville Metro Council -- $9,000 from Vicki Welch (D-13), $5,000 from Rick Blackwell (D-12), $2,000 each from Kelly Downard (R-16) and Madonna Flood (D-24), and $1,000 each from Bob Henderson (D-14) and Dan Johnson (D-21). More information: www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroParks/News/memorialforestplanning10_22.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 03:08 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,880,559 times
I'm a big fan of the forest and am glad to see it as developed (in amenities) as its become. I was probably one of the first people to have hiked both the Mitch McConell and Siltstone Trails, shortly after they opened.

How many folks here have been to the forest, either hiked the trails or been to the day-use areas like Tom Wallace?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,567,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
I'm a big fan of the forest and am glad to see it as developed (in amenities) as its become. I was probably one of the first people to have hiked both the Mitch McConell and Siltstone Trails, shortly after they opened.

How many folks here have been to the forest, either hiked the trails or been to the day-use areas like Tom Wallace?
I have! I have been to Tom Wallace many many times to fish and have hiked a couple of times.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:53 PM

Default Which parks...?

Tom Wallace is probably the best one but Horine is a close second. Scott's gap and Yost can hold their own too.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:06 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,880,559 times
Ive been to Horine when it was still a scout camp. You can really get lost there...it was pretty rugged from what I recall.

Last time back I took a spin through Scotts Gap and notice they have a better parking area now.

Also, Tom Wallace is one of my favorite spots in Louisville.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:07 AM

Default Updated plan for Jefferson Memorial Forest

Based on the October 22nd public meeting, the updated plans for the Jefferson Memorial Forest were announced. This link provides an overview to all the projected changes for the Jefferson Forest. Lots of mt biking trails to be added off Stone st/Gene Snyder. (** .PDF link/file is 10megs in size **)

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/NR/rdonl...MasterPlan.pdf

Park link: LouisvilleKy.gov - Jefferson Memorial Forest - default

Old 11-08-2008, 08:00 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,567,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Based on the October 22nd public meeting, the updated plans for the Jefferson Memorial Forest were announced. This link provides an overview to all the projected changes for the Jefferson Forest. Lots of mt biking trails to be added off Stone st/Gene Snyder. (** .PDF link/file is 10megs in size **)

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/NR/rdonl...MasterPlan.pdf

Park link: LouisvilleKy.gov - Jefferson Memorial Forest - default
Wonderful!!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:37 PM

508 posts, read 1,276,976 times
Cool. I still haven't made it to JMF. Still haven't been to nearly all the spots I should see since moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area