Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 10:11 PM

19 posts, read 70,762 times

Advertisements

I've been to the furniture stores and antique malls and haven't found what I'm looking for. A nice big painting of a horse race or a beautiful horse portrait for over the fireplace mantel. For a place that prides itself on the derby I thought it would be easier to find equine paintings! Any ideas? Where are the art galleries, not framing shops... tried that nothing there either.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 11:06 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
Riodosa. New Mexico. Horse country, artsy community, expensive, but worth every penny. The New Mexico state magazine has many adveritisers who fit your need. Good mag too.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:39 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
I think there is an equine gallery place on US 60 just south of I-64 in Woodford County

Old 10-27-2008, 06:18 PM

965 posts, read 4,499,736 times
Have you seen this artist's website already?

Jaime Corum - Equine Art

Also, in Georgetown, KY (not sure how far you'd be willing to travel), there is:

Canvas Collection (http://www.finearteditions.net/canvas.htm - broken link)

In Lexington, KY, there is this gallery:

Horse Art Gallery - A Division of Collectors Gallery

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:41 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native_newyorker View Post
I've been to the furniture stores and antique malls and haven't found what I'm looking for. A nice big painting of a horse race or a beautiful horse portrait for over the fireplace mantel. For a place that prides itself on the derby I thought it would be easier to find equine paintings! Any ideas? Where are the art galleries, not framing shops... tried that nothing there either.

Thanks!
I thought a New yawker would be more city savvy

try calling some of these and touring these districts:

First Friday Trolley Hop

F.A.T. Friday Hop (http://www.fatfridayhop.org/map.html - broken link)

Indeed you could probably order it from one of those artists online, but what fun is that? Go tour the galleries in Louisville. You will be surprised what cool stuff you find. Beware many of the shops may look closed sometimes. I would call ahead to many of them or else visit on a gallery hop.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 PM

19 posts, read 70,762 times
Thank you all who have contributed to this thread. STX12499, the trolley hop sounds like a fun way to check out the galleries. Also, remember I'm from upstate New York, therefore I'm called a New Yorker, not a New Yawker, which is used to describe the "city folk" down yonder. LOL

Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by native_newyorker View Post
Thank you all who have contributed to this thread. STX12499, the trolley hop sounds like a fun way to check out the galleries. Also, remember I'm from upstate New York, therefore I'm called a New Yorker, not a New Yawker, which is used to describe the "city folk" down yonder. LOL
Ah, I keep forgetting that! You are from the hinterlands and we're the city folk here in the ville happy hunting. Also, the gallery hop is a blast, especially on a warm day.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,159,984 times
I could be speaking out of my a** but I'd try the Kentucky Derby Museum gift shop--well assuming they still have one, and that the museum is still open! I haven't been there in years.

The last time I went they had beautiful stuff--not necessarily racing themed, lots of prints and paintings reflecting the horse farms in the Lexington area.

Good luck!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
I could be speaking out of my a** but I'd try the Kentucky Derby Museum gift shop--well assuming they still have one, and that the museum is still open! I haven't been there in years.

The last time I went they had beautiful stuff--not necessarily racing themed, lots of prints and paintings reflecting the horse farms in the Lexington area.

Good luck!

They are still alive and well, and the site for many events from weddings to soirees to dance parties. Not sure if they would have what the OP wants, but worth a call....

THE KENTUCKY DERBY MUSEUM

Old 09-13-2009, 02:09 PM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 283,721 times
Heya native_newyorker,
I think it's cool that you want to place the racing industry in your living room. We native Kentuckians thank you...;-)
You might want to give Aaron McIntyre a ring. (502) 609-1368. He's a young, up-and-coming local artist, with lean toward the thoroughbred. He's very talented, and a dream to work with. I think he may have a painting or two on hand that would suit you. If not, he'll custom for you, if you can wait. He's getting pretty busy.
If he doesn't suit you, you might try Jim Cantrell. He's a well known local artist in Bardstown. He's done several track-themed oils, and his stuff is held in very high esteem by some.
If none of this suits you, post back. I have a friend that teaches art on the backside of the Downs. I'm sure for the most part, the stuff they do is throw-away, but ya just never know. The next George Stubbs may be working on the backside...
Hope the Bluegrass of Kentucky is suiting you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area