U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2008, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Ohio
826 posts, read 1,443,020 times
Reputation: 238

Advertisements

Cleveland is dead. People are moving out of the city everyday. I don't know if you understand that but people are leaving this city. Not moving in, they're moving east,west,south - anywhere but here. We have lost population very bad all over NEO. Look at the "Thinking about leaving Ohio" thread, all those people leaving for - jobs, weather, crime, etc. That's fine if Cleveland wants to invest all this money into development but people are still leaving LOL.

Businesses are closing down all over and moving to other states. Foreclosed homes are EVERYWHERE. Cleveland has lost population while Louisville has been gaining. I'm sorry, but Cleveland is the "mistake on the lake". There is too much crime here especially on the east side. Downtown Louisville is clean. KY gets it, OH doesn't. And this is coming from someone in Cleveland, OH. I wouldn't doubt if the high unemployment rates are coming from EKY mainly, too.

Forbes recently listed Cleveland a "fastest, dying city".

I know you've been to Lexington which is sort of like Akron. Lexington defines a good "small town". Akron does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
666 posts, read 2,203,282 times
Reputation: 274
NE Ohio is the armpit of America, sorry but I had to say it. Cleveland and the surrounding areas are just so depressing to me, and they do not have a lot of character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2008, 10:01 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Texas, Finally!
5,321 posts, read 10,583,466 times
Reputation: 2395
I have a hard time believing such sweeping generalizations, such as that the whole state of Ohio sucks or that the three C's are dead. I could say the same for Michigan. Get on that forum and see the people moving out of the state. Florida, California...on and on. WA state has the highest small business failure rate in the nation. Kentucky is wonderful but it has its own problems. No place is paradise and you'll find plenty problems in your new place. Just perhaps different problems or the same ones that aren't as evident. So...do your research wisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2008, 10:12 PM
 
6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times
Reputation: 2789
Traveler,

I beg to differ. Louisville is growing substantially faster than cleveland, has lower crime rates, lower unemployment, and arguably a much better and more active nightlife for young singles. In fact, Louisville is a big receiever of domestic in migration from Cleveland.

http://ksdc.louisville.edu/kpr/migra..._migration.pdf

This trend is from the late 90's and continues today even stronger (hit control plus F and search for Ohio in that study). Anecdotally, I am AMAZED at the number of Ohio plates I see here, and I notice more since I moved from Chicago a few years back.

Please review your stats with regards to downtown development. This isn't a city versus city thread, but Louisville has over a billion in construction in the downtown areas and several billion more planned. Including a 8,000 employeee life science park, a world class skyscraper, center city district, and more. Louisville easily has as many high rise proposals as Cleveland. We will see how many get off the ground though in both cities!

Finally, I agree with cobolt in that you cannot make sweeping generalizations. Cleveland has some nice parts and some more upscale shopping and pro sports. But as far as warmth, economy, growth, nightlife, and perhaps even restuarants, its losing to Louisville big time, even though it is half Cleveland's size metro wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 AM
 
414 posts, read 1,127,955 times
Reputation: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Traveler,

I beg to differ. Louisville is growing substantially faster than cleveland, has lower crime rates, lower unemployment, and arguably a much better and more active nightlife for young singles. In fact, Louisville is a big receiever of domestic in migration from Cleveland.

http://ksdc.louisville.edu/kpr/migra..._migration.pdf

This trend is from the late 90's and continues today even stronger (hit control plus F and search for Ohio in that study). Anecdotally, I am AMAZED at the number of Ohio plates I see here, and I notice more since I moved from Chicago a few years back.

Please review your stats with regards to downtown development. This isn't a city versus city thread, but Louisville has over a billion in construction in the downtown areas and several billion more planned. Including a 8,000 employeee life science park, a world class skyscraper, center city district, and more. Louisville easily has as many high rise proposals as Cleveland. We will see how many get off the ground though in both cities!

Finally, I agree with cobolt in that you cannot make sweeping generalizations. Cleveland has some nice parts and some more upscale shopping and pro sports. But as far as warmth, economy, growth, nightlife, and perhaps even restuarants, its losing to Louisville big time, even though it is half Cleveland's size metro wise.
STX, Traveler doesn't know his A$$ from a whole in the ground. I'm not even going to begin to act as though I know anything about Louisville. I'm simply here because it could be a possible relocation spot for me.

My point about Traveler is that he likes to make sweeping generalizations on cities outside of the state of Ohio, yet his true experience in them is a few days stay or what he has read in a book.

I've seen him do the exact same thing on other forums, one which included my former home (Cincinnati) and now my current home (Charlotte), and his generalizations and statements were borderline asinine. He knows things by a study or a quick visit, we know by "being in the trenches".

Don't feel like you need to defend your city to this joker!

Just my 2 cents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 02:51 PM
 
36 posts, read 189,781 times
Reputation: 34
Louisville isn't the paradise that people here like to proclaim it to be. When it takes people aged 22 to 30 years to find decent employment with their degrees, something is wrong in this town. Its more based on who you know here versus what you know. There is a culture of good old boyism in Louisville. Its not really what you know, what your degree is (mine=business) but you will find a hard time finding jobs that meet your skill set and qualifications if you have a quality education from a state university (Indiana) Its really that way and I would have to kindly discourage you from moving here. Not that we wouldnt want you but you're wasting your time here. In fact, I think that you might be better suited for Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte or somewhere like that. Not Louisville. Too much of a system of incompetence and stupidity running the city of Louisville. Its a cultural thing as well. Kentucky is a culture of incompetence, poor education, and people that are lacking in the mental state which holds back the state from acheiving great things.

Being 47th in education is a barrier to higher paying jobs. Being in the bottom as far as obesity, cigarette usage, and health indicators is another. Employers don't want fat digusting blobs clogging up their arteries and raising health premiums. Kentucky has that problem for sure. Schools here are lacking both in quality, educational aptitude, but also in discipline.

State government here is taxing people to the hilt that people unless you are making 40 K or above you will be simply struggling to survive. Too many low wage employers especially for the jobs that used to pay 35 to 55 K are now trying to get by with paying 10 to 15 an hour. Nothing great there. Its a state you are best to avoid because of the low literacy level, the high amount of functional illiterates and the people running state government leave us broke year after year especially as the economy goes and the state budget is shot.

Kentucky especially E. KY is an entitlement society and a low wage society which leads to budgetary problems. Which is why Gov. Beshear has been talking a lot about the state budget. Its not pretty here as it is not elsewhere but when it comes to making a living then you might want to look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Lexington
270 posts, read 831,716 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
As far as Akron vs. Lexington, Akron is much more run-down and dirtier feeling, and is smaller then Lexington, but Akron is close to Cleveland, so you arent that far away from big city amenities. Lexington has a couple malls, and deffinately a lot of other shopping centers. Lexington feels like a smaller town then Akron. Lexington is not close to any other big cities except Lou and Cincy which are both at least an hour away, and Lexington doesnt offer as much to do as those.
You are correct in that Louisville and Cincinnati are both a little over an hour away; about 2 hours to Knoxville, and about 2.5 hours to Indianapolis and Columbus. All very "day-trippable." And Lexington is immaculately clean - the city does a tremendous job on keep the streets and thoroughfares clean.

Lexington is home to two universities, UK and Transylvania, and of course, our hundreds of beautiful horse farms. Let's not forget the KY Horse Park (which will host the 2010 World Equestrian Games) and the Keeneland Race Track, which in my humble opinion, is far nicer than Churchill Downs (yes, I've been to both).

Louisvillians and Lexingtonians could go on and on, back and forth, about the virtues of their city vs. the other one; but all I'll say to the OP (and anyone else considering Lexington for their next home) is that you shouldn't discount Lexington without at least paying a visit. I think you'll find it's a perfect blend of city amenities, southern hospitality, and rural charm. And trust me...there is PLENTY to do here.

I think you summed it up nicely when you said that Lexington is a larger city than Akron, but feels smaller. That's exactly what I love about it (and this is from a native Louisvillian!). But, I still enjoy visiting my 'other' hometown from time to time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2008, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
666 posts, read 2,203,282 times
Reputation: 274
Yeah i wouldn't rule out Lexington, you definitely have to visit if you are considering it. I like visiting Lexington, but I would not like to live there. I like having an airport where you can get direct flights to many cities close by, and having more attractions to see and do. But that is just me, you may love Lexington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 08:09 AM
 
508 posts, read 1,275,980 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelsmiley75 View Post
Louisville isn't the paradise that people here like to proclaim it to be. When it takes people aged 22 to 30 years to find decent employment with their degrees, something is wrong in this town. Its more based on who you know here versus what you know. There is a culture of good old boyism in Louisville. Its not really what you know, what your degree is (mine=business) but you will find a hard time finding jobs that meet your skill set and qualifications if you have a quality education from a state university (Indiana) Its really that way and I would have to kindly discourage you from moving here. Not that we wouldnt want you but you're wasting your time here. In fact, I think that you might be better suited for Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte or somewhere like that. Not Louisville. Too much of a system of incompetence and stupidity running the city of Louisville. Its a cultural thing as well. Kentucky is a culture of incompetence, poor education, and people that are lacking in the mental state which holds back the state from acheiving great things.

Being 47th in education is a barrier to higher paying jobs. Being in the bottom as far as obesity, cigarette usage, and health indicators is another. Employers don't want fat digusting blobs clogging up their arteries and raising health premiums. Kentucky has that problem for sure. Schools here are lacking both in quality, educational aptitude, but also in discipline.

State government here is taxing people to the hilt that people unless you are making 40 K or above you will be simply struggling to survive. Too many low wage employers especially for the jobs that used to pay 35 to 55 K are now trying to get by with paying 10 to 15 an hour. Nothing great there. Its a state you are best to avoid because of the low literacy level, the high amount of functional illiterates and the people running state government leave us broke year after year especially as the economy goes and the state budget is shot.

Kentucky especially E. KY is an entitlement society and a low wage society which leads to budgetary problems. Which is why Gov. Beshear has been talking a lot about the state budget. Its not pretty here as it is not elsewhere but when it comes to making a living then you might want to look elsewhere.

Again, laughing at these comments. Say, do ya think that happens just in Louisville? You know how many business majors there are out there? It's called networking and in business, networking is key (even important to network within your company).


Also, pointed out in a previous thread that wage level is more relative to cost of living. Of the cities I previewed, L'ville is very afforable for the avg wage earner given the cost of living.

Would agree those cities have better economies for the white collar crowd - Charlotte maybe not for a while due to the financial sector wreckage. Atlanta is much bigger so IMO it should provide better job opps and isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison. I think Nashville is a better benchmark for L'ville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2008, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 5,836,275 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
Cleveland is dead. People are moving out of the city everyday. I don't know if you understand that but people are leaving this city. Not moving in, they're moving east,west,south - anywhere but here. We have lost population very bad all over NEO. Look at the "Thinking about leaving Ohio" thread, all those people leaving for - jobs, weather, crime, etc. That's fine if Cleveland wants to invest all this money into development but people are still leaving LOL.

Businesses are closing down all over and moving to other states. Foreclosed homes are EVERYWHERE. Cleveland has lost population while Louisville has been gaining. I'm sorry, but Cleveland is the "mistake on the lake". There is too much crime here especially on the east side. Downtown Louisville is clean. KY gets it, OH doesn't. And this is coming from someone in Cleveland, OH. I wouldn't doubt if the high unemployment rates are coming from EKY mainly, too.

Forbes recently listed Cleveland a "fastest, dying city".

I know you've been to Lexington which is sort of like Akron. Lexington defines a good "small town". Akron does not.
First off, Forbes, lol what a joke.

Second off, Kentucky gets it just about as much as Ohio I guess. Statistics show it, Cleveland has more development dollars going in, and has a nightlife just as great if not better than Louisville. I went to Louisville, the so called "hot" areas were dead compared to Cleveland's.

I work for the city, I talked to city leaders and planners in Louisville, they are worried. Just like many other cities.

Do your research too, Cleveland was the mistake on the lake because of high condo prices when those condos were pathetic, btw, it was in Lakewood too, not Cleveland city limits.

If Cleveland did a joint county thing like Louisville, you would see much more, but even with that Louisville still doesnt have the development that Cleveland does.

Clevelands new convention center, the 500 million dollar Flats East Bank, and lets not forget, Cleveland has a rapid transit, Louisville doesn't. Louisville and Cleveland are not Detroit, and that is dead... so before you bash Cleveland again, do research, I mean in depth research.

I met a family that just moved here from Detroit when we had the Light the tree parade here at Public Square downtown, they were amazed by the life and cosmopolitan feel downtown Cleveland had to offer.

There was also an article just recently in Detroit headlined "Cleveland knows how to get it done."

Louisville has a nice downtown, but for the population it has, the street traffic, pedestrian traffic, and development didn't seem to be up-to-par.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top