U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:52 PM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 401,290 times

Advertisements

Ive been looking into moving to louisville for sometime... but just havent done it yet. I instead relocated from Iowa to Illinois and I dont like Illinois at all. Im looking into getting into the public safety profession. I was curious how people like Louisville and if its a good place to move when you wouldnt know anyone and would be completely by yourself if you did relocate out here? Any info would be great thanks@!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 PM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 401,290 times
also provide the good and bad of louisville!!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 02:29 PM

36 posts, read 189,799 times
Personally, I wouldn't come down to Louisville unless I had a solid career history built up and a pretty good background. Louisville has a pretty poor job market for the most part. Its not the most progressive of cities especially when it comes to education and jobs. The school system here is pretty much awful for the most part. Especially when a 6th grader can go through the Jefferson County schools and make A's yet get transferred to Catholic school the next year and end up with D's and F's. That says to me that the Louisville public school system is a joke. I know the person whose kid it was and its noticeable around here that the schools need a lot of work.

The community has had a long issue with racial politics especially when it comes to the busing issue of busing black kids to white areas and white kids to black schools. Thats led to a lot of racial tensions especially over the issues of busing. The racial climate by and large isn't horrible here but it leaves a lot to be desired. The city is really behind the times in integrating all members of society into the socioeconomic structure.

A good old boy system exists here and if you are not into that system then good luck to you. You can expect to find a job that might pay 25 or 30 k and that is about it. Its not a good job market to say the least. I've been looking for a business related job here for a few years after graduating with a Business degree from college. I've had other jobs here but nothing substansial so if I were you, looking elsewhere is a good choice.

Police work is possible here but there is a lot of angst between the mayors office and police department. It involves the mayor trying to remove officers from the city health insurance plan. Its pretty disreputable of the mayor here to do that but thats what is going on. Check out www.lmpd.com for more info about that.

The business and taxation structure in the Commonwealth is very regressive which explains why a lot of the jobs don't pay what they do in other locales. You will be hard pressed here to find employment that pays what you do in Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, etc. Just a Southern thing especially in Louisville and Kentucky. Maybe try out Indianapolis, Cincinnati, or Nashville. They tend to be more progressive cities in economics and jobs. Much better economics are practiced there and the job market is based on your skills.

Louisville has a good old boy climate where if you know the right people you can make a living. Otherwise, you're going paycheck to paycheck. Im not talking about people who cant spend a paycheck or manage money but in general most people here are pretty close to economically disadvantaged.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:30 PM

257 posts, read 772,027 times
umm wow, i think a lot of what the previous poster said is very wrong. 'must have some personal vendetta against the city' as the old saying on here goes. it's true. louisville would welcome you with open arms.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:05 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,484,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
umm wow, i think a lot of what the previous poster said is very wrong. 'must have some personal vendetta against the city' as the old saying on here goes. it's true. louisville would welcome you with open arms.
Yes, I agree with you that some obvious pain was spoken in the writer's angst towards Louisville. Yet, the writer was perfectly on target with the schools, the police, and the economic policies of Kentucky and Metro Louisville.

Facts are simple, we are in for a rough ride for the next 24 months at least. Much of what the writer wrote of was the result of Democratic governmental intervention. Let's not take this to a political line, but just look back at the historical realities.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,561,625 times
[quote=colonelsmiley75;6025457]n Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, etc. Just a Southern thing especially in Louisville and Kentucky. Maybe try out Indianapolis, Cincinnati, or Nashville. They tend to be more progressive cities in economics and jobs. Much better economics are practiced there and the job market is based on your skills. [quote]

You complain about it being a Southern thing and then push Nashville. Hmmm......

Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,904,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelsmiley75 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't come down to Louisville unless I had a solid career history built up and a pretty good background. Louisville has a pretty poor job market for the most part. Its not the most progressive of cities especially when it comes to education and jobs. The school system here is pretty much awful for the most part. Especially when a 6th grader can go through the Jefferson County schools and make A's yet get transferred to Catholic school the next year and end up with D's and F's. That says to me that the Louisville public school system is a joke. I know the person whose kid it was and its noticeable around here that the schools need a lot of work.

The community has had a long issue with racial politics especially when it comes to the busing issue of busing black kids to white areas and white kids to black schools. Thats led to a lot of racial tensions especially over the issues of busing. The racial climate by and large isn't horrible here but it leaves a lot to be desired. The city is really behind the times in integrating all members of society into the socioeconomic structure.

A good old boy system exists here and if you are not into that system then good luck to you. You can expect to find a job that might pay 25 or 30 k and that is about it. Its not a good job market to say the least. I've been looking for a business related job here for a few years after graduating with a Business degree from college. I've had other jobs here but nothing substansial so if I were you, looking elsewhere is a good choice.

Police work is possible here but there is a lot of angst between the mayors office and police department. It involves the mayor trying to remove officers from the city health insurance plan. Its pretty disreputable of the mayor here to do that but thats what is going on. Check out www.lmpd.com for more info about that.

The business and taxation structure in the Commonwealth is very regressive which explains why a lot of the jobs don't pay what they do in other locales. You will be hard pressed here to find employment that pays what you do in Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, etc. Just a Southern thing especially in Louisville and Kentucky. Maybe try out Indianapolis, Cincinnati, or Nashville. They tend to be more progressive cities in economics and jobs. Much better economics are practiced there and the job market is based on your skills.

Louisville has a good old boy climate where if you know the right people you can make a living. Otherwise, you're going paycheck to paycheck. Im not talking about people who cant spend a paycheck or manage money but in general most people here are pretty close to economically disadvantaged.
Basically, spot on. And I'm a Kentucky native.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelsmiley75 View Post
n Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, etc. Just a Southern thing especially in Louisville and Kentucky. Maybe try out Indianapolis, Cincinnati, or Nashville. They tend to be more progressive cities in economics and jobs. Much better economics are practiced there and the job market is based on your skills.
You complain about it being a Southern thing and then push Nashville. Hmmm......
Once again, two more Kentucky natives conventionally/customarily singing Kentucky's praises without considering both strengths and flaws. Look, Louisville has its strengths and flaws, but overall I didn't enjoy living there at all. You can search back through my previous (and very specific and detailed) posts to see what I'm talking about.

As for Missy, Nashville is MUCH MORE economically progressive than anywhere in Kentucky, even N. Ky. With its incredible name recognition, powerful advertising, and VERY corporate-friendly environment, that city is growing so that now it seems like half of Nashville has originated from Chicago, Long Island, or...Looeyville. It's becoming a non-Southern oasis in the mid-South.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:02 AM

102 posts, read 288,686 times
Louisville isn't even the south, more midwestern.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:08 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,561,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb502 View Post
Louisville isn't even the south, more midwestern.
Do we have to go back over this again? Is Kentucky Southern? A panel discussion...

Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 PM

508 posts, read 1,276,444 times
I never understand the people talking about the good ol' boy network. Where does this not exist? I could never show up in NYC off the train from KY and expect to get an investment banker position.

You know the right people and have the connections you have the advantage - same in KY and same everywhere. If not, sink or swim. That's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area