U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 08:39 PM

508 posts, read 1,277,672 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what some of your favorite eateries are around the L'ville area. Prefer local, independent eateries.

Thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 PM

72 posts, read 203,812 times
I don't get into the chain vs local debate. I USED to be a local, so I understand the argument... Before I became a Realtor, I owned a pizza shop. Something the metro area of Louisville has SEVERAL options on.

I'm a fairly simple guy... My list of top places looks something like this.

Penn Station - Love the Philly Cheese Steak and the cut fries

Qdoba - No, I don't eat here because the commercials are on the radio every 5 minutes, the food is tasty though.

Jucy's BBQ - Good Q, and it is close to me.

Joes OK Bayou - Excellent Gumbo and Jambalaya!

Wild Eggs/Toast - I really like breakfast, a lot. These guys both do it very well.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:01 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,494,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellinggreaterlouisville View Post
I don't get into the chain vs local debate. I USED to be a local, so I understand the argument... Before I became a Realtor, I owned a pizza shop. Something the metro area of Louisville has SEVERAL options on.

I'm a fairly simple guy... My list of top places looks something like this.

Penn Station - Love the Philly Cheese Steak and the cut fries

Qdoba - No, I don't eat here because the commercials are on the radio every 5 minutes, the food is tasty though.

Jucy's BBQ - Good Q, and it is close to me.

Joes OK Bayou - Excellent Gumbo and Jambalaya!

Wild Eggs/Toast - I really like breakfast, a lot. These guys both do it very well.
I know "selling", and this big fellow surely knows his food. Of course, he can't list them all. I just think that when it comes to be everyday best quality of regional "soul" food, Our Best Restaurant in Smithfield has to be on the list. On the up scale, I like Bristol's in Prospect. One of the variations of true Kentucky bar-b-q can be found at Pig & a Peppermint in Prospect. On a daily lunch list, the Red Pepper in LaGrange & Crestwood, are musts. Mazzoni's Oysters are a local tradition although I haven't been there since they moved. The Pie Kitchen (near Taylorsville Rd on Bardstown Rd) is the desert place. There are several Pie Kitchen's but this is the original.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:11 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,574,224 times
In my neck of the woods (all downhome) I like granny's apron, Christie's cafe and Jessie's. There is also the brand new Pie Pantry on Dixie too. Mark's feed store is pretty good and the return of Taco Tico was great as well!

Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 PM

54 posts, read 210,386 times
You can get some good foodie discussion at LouisvilleHotBytes.com.

That being said, Louisville has a great local scene. A great everyday restaurant is Baxter Station on Payne St. Another favorite option for casual dining is Cafe Lou Lou. For more upscale eateries, Seviche, Jack Fry's, or Basa cannot be beat. For formal dining, the Oakroom, Vincenzo's, Le Relais or the English Grille are all fantastic.

Then, the local ethnic eateries that I enjoy are Sapporo (sushi), the Grape Leaf (Mediterranean), Sitar (Indian), Mojito (latin tapas) or Havana Rumba (Cuban).

Great breakfast spots are Toast on Market, the North End Cafe, Lynn's Paradise Cafe or Wild Eggs.

There is plenty to choose from, so explore the menus online and choose wisely.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:56 PM

666 posts, read 2,205,472 times
Ramsey's on Bardstown Rd. is good, they have everything. I also like Lynn's Paradise Cafe and Molly Malone's. Bristol is always good too.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:42 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,574,224 times
Mike Lennig's is good too

Old 11-12-2008, 04:50 PM

209 posts, read 632,901 times
Mediterranean/ Greek: Shiraz, Grape Leaf
Sushi: Maido, Sapporo
Indian: Dakshin
Veggie: Zen Garden
bbq: Frankfort Ave. Beer Depot (FABD)
Bistro: North End Cafe, Bristol's
Fried fish: The Fish House
Breakfast: Blue Dog, Toast, and, of course, if you want to keep KY at the top of the obesity list: Lynn's
Upscale: Le Relais (great setting, service, French-based food), Basa (noisy, but wonderful French-Vietnamese), The English Grill at the Brown, and, at the top, The Oak Room
Class of its own: Proof
People tell me Vietnam Kitchen is awesome, but we haven't been there yet

I'm just scratching the surface. I hope this economy doesn't continue to kill off great eating here. Bon Appetit voted Louisville one of the top 5 small city food towns in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area