U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 AM

20 posts, read 89,857 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering relocating to Louisville but we love our pediatrician and family doctor where we live now. He is very open minded to non-traditional remedies and doesnt try to force immunizations down our throat. We are open to immunizing but just dont want it preached to us...and we also firmly believe that the first response should not always be to medicate with the hottest blockbuster drug. Any chance we could find a like minded physician/pediatrician in the louisville area? Also, is there a neighborhood where people tend to be more open to this sort of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 05:35 AM

153 posts, read 476,922 times
Yah, you'd love the highlands and crescent hill areas. Also, we have been adamant in avoiding certain immunizations because my brother has an autistic child and are second born ended up with a heart problem weeks after certain "shots" I'm not going to name any particular doctors but you'll find what your looking for; we have.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:52 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,551,450 times
Aren't immunizations required for public or private schools?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 AM

6 posts, read 20,388 times
As far as I know, yes they are. We have had an outbreak of Whooping Cough in Bullitt County recently probably due to a lack of immunizations. JMHO of course on that one.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:23 AM

20 posts, read 89,857 times
Thanks for the feedback. There is a common misunderstanding that immunizations are required. They are not typically requried on an absolute basis. Most doctors you talk to you will make it sound like they are, but when you look in to it, there a lot of exemptions. This is the point that I am making, we are looking for an area where people are actually allowed to make their own decisions and where people dont just take the "widely held opinion" to be the absolute truth. So, it sounds like the highlands area is right for us. Thanks all!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishproff View Post
Thanks for the feedback. There is a common misunderstanding that immunizations are required. They are not typically requried on an absolute basis. Most doctors you talk to you will make it sound like they are, but when you look in to it, there a lot of exemptions. This is the point that I am making, we are looking for an area where people are actually allowed to make their own decisions and where people dont just take the "widely held opinion" to be the absolute truth. So, it sounds like the highlands area is right for us. Thanks all!
It's not the doctors that say it, it's the schools. JCPS Health Requirements (http://www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/Schools/HealthDescrpt.html - broken link)

Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
It's not the doctors that say it, it's the schools. JCPS Health Requirements (http://www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/Schools/HealthDescrpt.html - broken link)
FYI: It is a requirement however, before we started homeschooling, my oldest went to public school and did not get them because our Dr allowed a religious exemption. In KY the law says you can claim medical or religious exemptions from vaccines and our Doctor is not pushy at all. Just google vaccine laws.

If you want a GREAT pediatrician who is not pushy look into Dr. Wendy Daly at Brownsboro Park Pediatrics. All of our non vaccinating homeschool friends also see her as well and love her. Don't see the other Dr's in her office when it's "vaccine time", only her. You can claim a religious exempt and she will ask you to sign a paper exempting you and for public schools you just provide the exemption to them and your child can still attend public schools.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:06 AM

What religion doesn't allow for vaccines?

Old 02-11-2009, 02:48 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcopper View Post
Yah, you'd love the highlands and crescent hill areas. Also, we have been adamant in avoiding certain immunizations because my brother has an autistic child and are second born ended up with a heart problem weeks after certain "shots" I'm not going to name any particular doctors but you'll find what your looking for; we have.
I am asorry to hear about your family, but study after study has shown no link to vaccinations and autism. Autism usually becomes noticable around the time shots are given and the shots have become a scapegoat for many.
Study after study has also shown that children die from common, preventable disease if they are not immunized. How and why people are allowed to get religious (or other ) exemptions for vaccines for communicable diseases is beyond my belief. Not having your child vaccinized means he can transmit pertussis, influenza, hepatitis, and all kinds of deadly diseases to my children (even if they are immunized)...no thanks! Its one thing to refuse something that only affacts yourself or your family ; if you refuse a blood transfusion on religious grounds, that's fine with me. You are only killing yourslf. But when it starts to affect others, it should be MANDATORY law. Can I have a religious exemption from my taxes? I dont believe in paying taxes!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 PM

I agree with you STX! It worries me knowing there are kids who aren't vaccinated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area