U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2009, 12:58 PM
 
6,305 posts, read 13,208,643 times
Reputation: 2790

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybc View Post
it's somewhat nieve to think we don't have to worry about this issue anymore. Someone seems to be trying to squelch an interesting thread here. Yes interracial couples have been happening since the down of the U.S., but they've also been repressed since then, and of course way before as well. Anybody read "Othello" lately? I still hear plenty of racial intolerance here in liberal Massachusettes so I'm sure there's some in Kentucky and it's legitimate to wonder how intolerant some areas might be. To pretend there are no problems when they still exist maybe will divide us more than if we can talk about them together
there's tons of it in KY, although Louisville is pretty accepting, especially in the old city limits. Still, when someone from the suburbs is scared to come downtown or an old urban area and talks about "bad areas", its essentially a code word that they are scared of young black males that may be around. It's so sad but true, and this doesn't just happen in Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,581,342 times
Reputation: 2116
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
there's tons of it in KY, although Louisville is pretty accepting, especially in the old city limits. Still, when someone from the suburbs is scared to come downtown or an old urban area and talks about "bad areas", its essentially a code word that they are scared of young black males that may be around. It's so sad but true, and this doesn't just happen in Louisville.
That's not necessarily true, I am afraid of anybody who may be hyped up on drugs or panhandling if I am alone, black or white, male or female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2009, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 968,727 times
Reputation: 520
I have found that Louisville does seem to be fairly relaxed when it comes to inter-racial/mixed relationships. I can remember a time when it was still a relative "no-no" in my old stomping ground and high school, but by the time I graduated from PRP, there was quite a lot of open mixed relationships. What was a real taboo subject became nothing out of the ordinary, and it seemed to happen overnight. I think it just became something so minor compared to other things that society was presenting at the time that people largely decided they had more important things to worry about, you know? And there are. The colour of a persons skin is a moot point. You can pre-determine NOTHING about a person based on that. You can NEVER accurately judge a book by it's cover. It's just that simple.

I personally could care less who anyone dates and what ethnicity/race/colour/creed/religion/nationality etc they are. People are people are people etc. We all bleed red, right?

".....If you can judge a wise man by the colour of his skin, then mister you're a better man than I...."--Living On The Edge, Aerosmith

In this crazy, mixed up, screwed up world, if you find love, embrace it and treat it like the gift that it is, regardless of what "colour" it's packaged in.

With, of course, the exception of, you know, animals 'cause, C'MON!!! That's just plain WRONG!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2009, 08:53 AM
 
Location: NOVA
4,521 posts, read 4,989,763 times
Reputation: 1914
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Interacial dating is every where, why are people making such a big deal about it?
The OP isn't making that 'big of deal' since he waited 18 months afterwards to post it here on the Louisville page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2009, 11:14 PM
 
Location: new england
171 posts, read 409,129 times
Reputation: 84
Default the kinks

Dear Tigerlillly, 'you must be a generation younger than me, that quote you atttribute to arrowsmith was origonally by the Kinks: "Mr. You're a Better Man....." Lets get it straight what generation brought about change in this country., '65, '66 punks, not the wanna be punks of the 70s or of today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 968,727 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybc View Post
Dear Tigerlillly, 'you must be a generation younger than me, that quote you atttribute to arrowsmith was origonally by the Kinks: "Mr. You're a Better Man....." Lets get it straight what generation brought about change in this country., '65, '66 punks, not the wanna be punks of the 70s or of today!
Uh....ok?
Apparently I'm not allowed to quote a song that I like, by a group that I like.

I'm going to just assume you had a smile on your dial when you were posting and forgot an "lol" or a friendly smiliey. My POV is that you are being aggressive, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

If not, I'll thank you to hold off your lecture to me about the history of the punk movement, thanks. I'm not giving Aerosmith credit that is due The Kinks. I merely quoted a line, from a song, sang by Aerosmith.

If The Kinks were the ones who originated 'Living on the Edge', then my apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2009, 10:56 PM
 
Location: new england
171 posts, read 409,129 times
Reputation: 84
Default Sorry!

I'm seriously sorry i forgot my smiley face, as my remark was ment in fun! I was just noticing that line was from a kinks tune, have very much appreciated your input on these threads of mine and others. I got off track, I'm really just trying to find out more about L'vul and especially the music scene there.--Johnny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2009, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 968,727 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybc View Post
I'm seriously sorry i forgot my smiley face, as my remark was ment in fun! I was just noticing that line was from a kinks tune, have very much appreciated your input on these threads of mine and others. I got off track, I'm really just trying to find out more about L'vul and especially the music scene there.--Johnny

Phew!!! Thankfully I misunderstood you! I hate getting into a scuffle over, well really, silly things like song lyrics! lol I apologise if it seemed like I came out swinging.......I've had some bad luck on message boards and forums lately. I've been verbally abused and attacked at least once a day on places I've been posting and discussing for literally years with very few incidents, and then all of a sudden WHAM!! I'm having to defend myself when my natural reaction is to leave that board and go lick my wounds in a corner......I'm really more of a lover not a fighter!

anyway, back to business (though off initial topic)......well can't speak for now, but in my day (I love being old enough to say that legitimately ....or do I? ......) there was a good and varied music scene, and lots of local bands (cover and original) were crawling out of the wood work everywhere; a lot of them were really good--although I don't think any of them managed to make it to Virgin Atlantic or whoever....

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 05:28 PM
 
24 posts, read 55,851 times
Reputation: 11
Any time anyone chooses a partner based on race, no matter how they try to package it, it's racist. Making a big deal, congratulating a town because it is somehow universally assumed to be not against interracial (as in B&W, not every other possible combination of interracial) relationships based on a one weekend visit - it's kind of goofy, to be honest.

I vividly remember a friend of our family once looking around the room and asking a relative of mine how he managed to get him a white woman - she cooked, she cleaned and she was white - lucky bastage.

Made me want to barf.

I know far too many people whose first criterion is race, must be black, must be white - pffft - racist crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 968,727 times
Reputation: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by enli View Post
Any time anyone chooses a partner based on race, no matter how they try to package it, it's racist. Making a big deal, congratulating a town because it is somehow universally assumed to be not against interracial (as in B&W, not every other possible combination of interracial) relationships based on a one weekend visit - it's kind of goofy, to be honest.

I vividly remember a friend of our family once looking around the room and asking a relative of mine how he managed to get him a white woman - she cooked, she cleaned and she was white - lucky bastage.

Made me want to barf.

I know far too many people whose first criterion is race, must be black, must be white - pffft - racist crap.
Well, in OP's defense I don't recall that they ever said they'd chosen their spouse based on race, just that their spouse happened to be a another race.
And don't think it was a congratulations, more of just a positive observation from what they saw during that weekend they were here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top