U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-20-2008, 03:11 PM
 
Location: PA -> Denver, CO
205 posts, read 721,363 times
Reputation: 57

Advertisements

Hey Louisville, I'm coming out to your town this weekend for the Field Hockey Championship this weekend. My younger sister is playing in the All Star game, and it's the last game of her college sports career.

I've been looking on wikitravel and other sites for cool stuff to do, and I'm just amazed at all the cool stuff in Louisville. Does anyone have any suggestion for anything that is must see while I'm out there?

Also, I'm flying in to meet my family, but driving back with them. Any suggestions on the roads going back to Philadelphia? I have a trip-tik from AAA, but local information always seems to be a little better.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2008, 03:15 PM
 
Location: louisville, ky
257 posts, read 771,945 times
Reputation: 96
what kinds of things are you interested in? there are many things to do in louisville. just kinda need to know what you like? hip and trendy bars? eclectic, independent shops? etc. let us know so we can tell you how to enjoy louisville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 04:05 PM
 
Location: PA -> Denver, CO
205 posts, read 721,363 times
Reputation: 57
I love finding small shops and bars that offer more local culture. I don't want to visit the chain stores because I can go to a Waffle House anytime I want at home. I'm into independent record shops and bars that offer live music. I also have to get some bourbon while I'm out there!

I'd love to hit the bike trails in the area, but I'm thinking it might be a bit too cold for that. Although the forecast for Philly this weekend is about 10 degrees colder, so we'll see. I think I read somewhere that there are bike rentals at the Waterfront park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 04:07 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,586 posts, read 20,468,292 times
Reputation: 9078
I have an aunt in Philadelphia. The best route is to take I-64 to Charleston WV, take I-79 north to Morgantown WV, take I-68 to I-70 to Hagerstown, take I-81 north to the PA Turnpike near Harrisburg

The Field Hockey events are at U of L. To get to the 'cool' spots in town either take Eastern Parkway 4 miles to the east and you will intersect Bardstown Road - turn right or left and you will find ~2 miles lined with local shops and restaurants. Another nice area is along Frankfort Ave - you can get to this from Bardstown Rd by taking Grinstead Drive.

In Downtown Louisville there is 4th Street Live. You can get to this from U of L by taking 2nd Street north to Muhammad Ali Blvd. Old Louisville (btw U of L & Downtown) is a gem, although it doesn't have as much shopping or eats)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Highlands_(Louisville)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Louisville
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_Street_Live

Louisville is building a 110 mile bike loop around the city, 30 miles are already complete. The weather is a lot colder than usual, so there probably won't be any rentals on the waterfront, although Scheller's Fitness and Cycling offers rentals year round

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisville_Loop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,559,442 times
Reputation: 2116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrocks View Post
I love finding small shops and bars that offer more local culture. I don't want to visit the chain stores because I can go to a Waffle House anytime I want at home. I'm into independent record shops and bars that offer live music. I also have to get some bourbon while I'm out there!

I'd love to hit the bike trails in the area, but I'm thinking it might be a bit too cold for that. Although the forecast for Philly this weekend is about 10 degrees colder, so we'll see. I think I read somewhere that there are bike rentals at the Waterfront park.
Bardstown road and Frankfort ave areas sound just right for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2008, 09:30 PM
 
Location: SW Indiana
205 posts, read 514,955 times
Reputation: 221
I'm into independent record shops


Ear X-tacy, Electric Ladyland and Great Escape on Bardstown Road
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 02:46 PM
 
6,297 posts, read 13,182,702 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyrocks View Post
Hey Louisville, I'm coming out to your town this weekend for the Field Hockey Championship this weekend. My younger sister is playing in the All Star game, and it's the last game of her college sports career.

I've been looking on wikitravel and other sites for cool stuff to do, and I'm just amazed at all the cool stuff in Louisville. Does anyone have any suggestion for anything that is must see while I'm out there?

Also, I'm flying in to meet my family, but driving back with them. Any suggestions on the roads going back to Philadelphia? I have a trip-tik from AAA, but local information always seems to be a little better.

Thanks!

Are you here? How is your trip? I may need some advice on Bethelehm as I have business there soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2008, 06:15 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,586 posts, read 20,468,292 times
Reputation: 9078
jimmyrocks, I hope you bring some REAL hoagies down with you. The ones down here are horrible compared to Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 09:39 AM
 
Location: PA -> Denver, CO
205 posts, read 721,363 times
Reputation: 57
I just got back from Louisville, and I had a great time. Thanks censusdata for suggesting Bardstown Road. We got lunch there and spent some time looking through the record shops.. We also got down to 4th Street Live after the game just to see what it was like. It kind of reminded me of the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego.

The city was very clean and it seemed that, despite the weather, people were out and enjoying the city. I was very impressed overall!

Thanks for your suggestions, I would have never found half that stuff on my own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Are you here? How is your trip? I may need some advice on Bethelehm as I have business there soon.
I grew up in Bethlehem, come back over to the Lehigh Valley Forum:
Young Professional in Bethlehem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top