U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,891 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. OK- I'm sure this question has been asking a million times here, but here goes: I am probably moving to Louisville in the spring and as a 30 year-old, want to know where the young, urban areas are in terms of finding a place to live. I don't want to be totally shut in by the suburbs, and want to have somewhat of a life and make friends. I keep hearing about the "Highlands;" any truth to this? What do you suggest for the young-professional newcomer?! Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 07:25 PM

153 posts, read 477,466 times
The Highlands make a great starting point. Crescent Hill, Germantown, St. Matthews

Old 11-24-2008, 07:37 PM

72 posts, read 203,831 times
MovingOn43,

I'm 31 -- so I think I can offer some insight. Louisville really is a great city. I would put A LOT more effort into locating in an area that makes sense holistically for your lifestyle AND your work commute, then being worried about living in a "hip" area. I live in Oldham County, but I frequently make the quick drive to Baxter Avenue for some bar hopping with friends. Same thing with grabbing a bite to eat on restaurant row on Frankfort Avenue.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:22 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,224,739 times
Definitely the Highlands area. Bardstown Road near to town -- ditto Frankfort Road.

If I was a young professional and worked downtown, I would seriously consider living downtown. Lot's for young people to do with Fourth Street Live, the museums, the baseball park, the new basketball arena, etc.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 6,963 times
Hi! I'm a young professional and have lived in Lou for the past 5 years so I figured I could try to help you out. The highlands is great for bar hopping and walking down Bardstown Rd (a cool street with lots of shops, tattoo places, bars, restaurants, unique stores), but not a whole lot of great places to live. It has very few complexes - mostly old houses that have been converted. Downtown is ok, but you don't have a lot of middle options. A lot of expensive apartments/condos on the river and then lots of not so nice places. The east end has lots of housing options - apartments/condos/houses, etc and their own fun places to hang - old chicago, joe's, and some down on the river too. I would rec. St Matthews. It is only a 15 to 20 minute drive downtown, lots of places to live, close to shopping and restaurants, and only 10 minutes from the Highlands! Louisville is actually a very easy city to get around so even living a but out isn't a problem. Good luck with everything!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 PM

6,305 posts, read 13,203,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroy109 View Post
Hi! I'm a young professional and have lived in Lou for the past 5 years so I figured I could try to help you out. The highlands is great for bar hopping and walking down Bardstown Rd (a cool street with lots of shops, tattoo places, bars, restaurants, unique stores), but not a whole lot of great places to live. It has very few complexes - mostly old houses that have been converted. Downtown is ok, but you don't have a lot of middle options. A lot of expensive apartments/condos on the river and then lots of not so nice places. The east end has lots of housing options - apartments/condos/houses, etc and their own fun places to hang - old chicago, joe's, and some down on the river too. I would rec. St Matthews. It is only a 15 to 20 minute drive downtown, lots of places to live, close to shopping and restaurants, and only 10 minutes from the Highlands! Louisville is actually a very easy city to get around so even living a but out isn't a problem. Good luck with everything!

I strongly disagree with these statements, although, nice perspective. I often find that many people living in suburban areas do not know about urban living options. It was a shock for me when I came here from a larger city and kept hearing about "complexes." What kind of hip, urban young professional would want to live in these cul de sac "complexes" they have in east Louisville? Not this one. You see, by their very design, these complexes inhibit human interaction. They are built inwards, away from the street, and discourage human interaction by linking a big parking lot directly to your door. With urban living, on Cherokee at Highland for example, one block and you are at a nexus of shops, restaurants, coffee, and wandering pedestrians, and gasp public transit oriented citizens.

There are plenty of options downtown, Old Louiville, Highlands, germantown, butchertown, crescent hill, and clifton, but indeed, you will not find many "complexes" listed in suburban oriented guides like apartment finder. Your best bet is to look for places on craigslist and then come to town and drive around and call for rent signs. The best places for rent in places like the HIghlands are never listed in classifieds because urban savvy shoppers eat them up. There are many older properties as well as newer properties in the city for rent. Beware you will pay a premium for a luxury rental in a place like the Highlands (a newer 2 bedroom with a newish kitchen and built in laundry stack will push to around 1000, whereas the same unit in a less rehabbed building can be had for 600), but a deal can be had if you are willing to do with a little older place that may lack a dishwasher or new windows or central A/C. Now, if you are buying, this is a whole different option.

One of the problems I see with Louisville is a lot of people can be suburban minded, and even very small town minded for a metro area of 1.3 million, which is among the nation's largest. You will probably be asked where you went to HS. For locals, it is a way for them to connect with a stranger, so dont take offense to it.

The premiere urban neighborhood for young people between Chicago and Atlanta in my humble opinion is the Highlands. There are plenty of options from highrise condos to old 4 plexes to rehabbed victorians to 1960s or new condo infill. Louiville also has many other thriving urban areas, but this area is the most active at all times, and truly feels like a big city neighborhood, even if it is aesthetically much different from urban nabes in the north and east. So, use Bardstown road as your starting point, and fan out to the other urban areas from there. Frankfort ave is another hip nabe, but it is more hip in a quaint way. The same can be said of downtown, which is really on the up and up.

Here are some sites to guide you:

Broken Sidewalk .

Home | LEO Weekly

Metromix | Your Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide

Metromix Louisville | Your Louisville Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide

Consuming Louisville

www.backseatsandbar.com

consuminglouisville and backseat sandbar are wonderful blogs and will connect you to the hip scene in louisville. dont miss the fat friday or first friday art gallery hops or a drink at proof on main, and get involved early. Louisville is not a flashy city. There is tons to do, but with the exception of the glitzy (and somewhat cheesy) fourth street live, it will not "jump out" at you. But as you get to know it and meet the great people, you will see why I am such a big fan. If I can be of any other help, PM me, as I am in your age range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area