Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:48 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
And Houston is not even among the most dangerous cities. I keep telling Kentuckians that they think Louisville is "dangerous" because they havent lived in any big city. Louisville is very very safe compared to any of the cities in the top 50 or even top 100 in population.
All I usually do is allow one of my out-of-state friends to stay with me here in Atlanta for one weekend. After taking a trip downtown and watching the news for a couple of days, their home cities usually look like Mayberry USA to them once they get back.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:11 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
sounds like chicago! this is very disturbing...

Old 12-17-2008, 02:44 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I know this isn't a political thread, but in speaking directly to Louisville issues, crime is the most damaging single issue to the value of homes. Censusdata points to white privilege. I agree that there may be white privilege, but the cause is simply such an overwhelming crime rate amongst minorities.
I didn't mean to imply that White Priviledge has anything to do with the high murder rate amongst Black Americans - I think that has nothing to do with it. I was just pointing out that while slavery ended in 1864 that doesn't mean that it isn't easier in America to be White

There was far more blatant racism in the 1950s and yet much lower crime amongst all racial groups - what changed? The answer is simple: drugs. Highly addictive and illegal drugs give unemployed people a way to make thousands of dollars a week. Drugs also produces addicts who become literally mentally retarded who will do anything - break into a car in broad daylight, rob a store at gunpoint for $10 - to get money to feed their addiction

Since the 1990s a second reason has occured: rap "music" which glorifies killing and violence against women. Many rap songs decribe murding "hater" and "snitches" in very graphic lyrics

Old 12-18-2008, 04:50 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I didn't mean to imply that White Priviledge has anything to do with the high murder rate amongst Black Americans - I think that has nothing to do with it. I was just pointing out that while slavery ended in 1864 that doesn't mean that it isn't easier in America to be White

There was far more blatant racism in the 1950s and yet much lower crime amongst all racial groups - what changed? The answer is simple: drugs. Highly addictive and illegal drugs give unemployed people a way to make thousands of dollars a week. Drugs also produces addicts who become literally mentally retarded who will do anything - break into a car in broad daylight, rob a store at gunpoint for $10 - to get money to feed their addiction

Since the 1990s a second reason has occured: rap "music" which glorifies killing and violence against women. Many rap songs decribe murding "hater" and "snitches" in very graphic lyrics
Census, you are on the right track. Good job. Just add one more very very very unpopular cause. The lack of an effective governmentally executed death penalty. Just look at the facts and any 5th grader (typical emotional age of those who personally execute the death penalty without judge, jury, or appeal) can tell you that with the end of the death penalty in the 1960's, literally hundreds of thousands of "innocent" Americans have died at the hands of personal enforcers.

You can also add the removal of faith from not only our schools, but also our businesses, holidays, even our churches.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
I had someone tell me that certain drugs were introduced to blacks by the Govt, intentionally to control or eliminate the population altogether. Normally I would say this is the stuff of tin foil hats and bunk, but she used to work for the Fed in some capacity and she said she saw documents that verified this. Of course, she could just be another one of those people who see space ships in the corn fields. I don't know....

Old 12-18-2008, 11:24 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Shawnee shooting victim identified | courier-journal | The Courier-Journal

Some of these murders look like hits to me

NOV 27: Eugene C. Staten, 25, Black male, shot 5 times while walking on 43rd Street

NOV 26: Michael Bland, 27, Black male, shot 5 times while driving at 35th & Broadway

NOV 26: Versellias Hammond, 32, Black male, shot 4 times while walking down Greenwood Ave @ 22nd Street

NOV 25: Mohamed Abdelrahman, 32, native of Sudan, shot 2 times while his store was robbed at 22nd & Lytle Street in Portland

NOV 23: Natasha Sutton, 27, Black female, shot by boyfriend on Shady Villa Dr

NOV 22: Montez Stewart, 25, Black male, shot 3 times after a fight on Bolling Ave
If those murders are gang related or drug related, it sounds to me like they're doing a pretty good job of solving the problem. I say lock them all in a town together and let them shoot it out. Problem solved and it doesn't cost the tax payers a penny.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:54 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Hey Census, use your handy dandy resource and tell all of us exactly how many of America's youth have been killed needlessly since March 2003. No, not in Iraq, but rather in the war zones of our nation's cities. If you happen to have the data for all young people killed (young = under 25) by auto accidents, drug overdoses, etc since then, might open up some serious discussions too.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Hey Census, use your handy dandy resource and tell all of us exactly how many of America's youth have been killed needlessly since March 2003. No, not in Iraq, but rather in the war zones of our nation's cities. If you happen to have the data for all young people killed (young = under 25) by auto accidents, drug overdoses, etc since then, might open up some serious discussions too.
The reality is very few people who died in the ways you mentioned were truly innocent. Even the people killed in Iraq and Afghanistan voluntarily signed up for the military.

The reason murders/ violent crime is different from those other causes is that is destroys the economy of the areas it occurs in. No one in their right mind would open a store in the West End

Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 AM

4 posts, read 12,692 times
if you open a store in the west end then u might see more money then in other areas but thier still a risk just like in any other area

Old 12-25-2008, 04:50 PM

TomCox, as a realitor what do you think about bulldozing all abandoned homes in a depressed area - or about the government even buying homes off the market and 'dozing them? The logic is it reduces crime and increases the price of existing homes in the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area