U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 04:51 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times

Advertisements

no, just a bunch of murderers we dont want to execute.
haven't you heard, punishment is unamerican.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:07 PM

4 posts, read 10,744 times
u are going to have crime were ever u live

Old 12-29-2008, 09:06 AM

5,321 posts, read 10,583,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
TomCox, as a realitor what do you think about bulldozing all abandoned homes in a depressed area - or about the government even buying homes off the market and 'dozing them? The logic is it reduces crime and increases the price of existing homes in the area
Mayor Daley did this in Chicago. He bulldozed housing projects like Cabrini Green and other depressed areas (some of this move is in preparation and hope of winning the Olympic bid) and what you're now seeing is that middle class and above are moving back into the gentrified City while the suburbs are becoming more crime-ridden. You're seeing a demographic shift too of white flight to the City, while blacks and minorities, particularly Hispanics, moving to the West and South suburbs. So the crime hasn't been eliminated, just displaced.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:18 AM

9,585 posts, read 20,464,174 times
I was actually talking about razing individual HOUSES as a opposed to housing projects. On the one hand I hate seeing a house that is still fit for human habitation leveled, especially when millions of people around the world live in shacks. I also understand that nothing increases crime like abandoned buildings.

If West Louisville truly is beyond the point of no return depopulating it might be the only way to reduce crime there.

Here are several abandoned buildings in the Portland neighborhood. These buildings are beautiful, but right now they only give a place for illegal activities and decrease the value of surrounding properties

Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I was actually talking about razing individual HOUSES as a opposed to housing projects. On the one hand I hate seeing a house that is still fit for human habitation leveled, especially when millions of people around the world live in shacks. I also understand that nothing increases crime like abandoned buildings.

If West Louisville truly is beyond the point of no return depopulating it might be the only way to reduce crime there.

Here are several abandoned buildings in the Portland neighborhood. These buildings are beautiful, but right now they only give a place for illegal activities and decrease the value of surrounding properties

Sorry. I misunderstood. I would be for that as well.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 AM

6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Sorry. I misunderstood. I would be for that as well.
Are you sure? You guys seem pretty eager to destroy history. face it, the crime in Louisville is much less than the national average for large cities. We could always improve, but I dont think destroying history will really help deter crime. Crime will happen as long as their is prostitution, gangs, and drugs are illegal.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Are you sure? You guys seem pretty eager to destroy history. face it, the crime in Louisville is much less than the national average for large cities. We could always improve, but I dont think destroying history will really help deter crime. Crime will happen as long as their is prostitution, gangs, and drugs are illegal.
That's why I do feel very conflicted about this issue. If no one will ever repair these buildings in the future then they will at some point get bulldozed anyway. If the buildings pictured were off Frankfort Ave they would be worth $40,000 (for each shotgun, much more for the bigger bldg), but that's not were they are. They're in an area where crime is rising and population has been declining for decades.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:42 AM

No I'm not sure. I would first pick restoring these buildings/homes. I mean someone has to invest money in them if they're not to be used as crack/meth houses or who knows what. On the other hand, the nature of the buildings and sometimes the area or parts of it discourage that very thing. It seems like a round robin no win thing

Old 12-29-2008, 12:45 PM

The problem isn't so much destroying older "historic" buildings - the problem is what typically replaces them.

Louisville recently leveled one of the oldest remaining buildings in Downtown, the 1859 Brinly Hardy warehouse. It didn't bother me at all because it was replaced by a 4 story condo (still under construction) which better frames the street and will move 100 high income residents into downtown.

Here's the only article I could find on it
BRICKS OF CONTENTION | Louisville | Find Articles at BNET

Here was the construction site a few months back
http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/13329770.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 PM

83 posts, read 299,380 times
So what would happen if middle-class families started moving into places in the west end instead of everyone moving away from those areas? What would happen if my wife and I, both young and white, moved into a house just off somewhere like Broadway or around Victory or California Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area