U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 PM

715 posts, read 1,408,217 times

Advertisements

This is crazy. So I guess the park is going to be gated off for eternity? If the state is not interested in buying, what about Meade County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 01:12 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,488,273 times
No one likes budget cuts. It is a no-win situation for officials. Having recently moved from California to Louisville, I appreciate the Mayor's attempts to cut spending....in California, they just borrow, borrow, borrow and keep spending, spending, spending. It is sad to think about parks being closed, police and fire salaries being reduced, etc.....never pleasant or popular but unfortunately sometimes necessary. I think the mayor should do what is necessary to reduce spending and cut debt.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:32 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,556,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Tomcox,

I agree on most of the list might be unnecessary but just LAST MONTH the mayor held a press conference touting the expansion of the Jefferson Forest. How can he be that out-of-touch to go from expanding one month and closing parks the next month? Of course the mayor never liked having a beautiful park in Meade county. Nobody votes for him in Meade .
Exactly. Like I said, it doesn't effect that... as a Christian I can't even say it

Old 12-02-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilf View Post
Missy, I'm pretty upset about it myself...I grew up less than 200 yards from the old Rock Haven church, and the park store...I actually got married in the old church. I grew up swimming at the pool, and riding my bike in the campground. I enjoy, as an adult, riding the mountain bike trails, and just taking in the beauty and serenity of the area...to think that it will all come to an end is...upsetting. My hope is someone will step up and take over the park and make it better than it is now.
What happened to the old church that used to be there? Why did they tear out the pool just to do nothing with it? The re-arranged everything and just screwed it all up. Thanks Dictator Jerry.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
No one likes budget cuts. It is a no-win situation for officials. Having recently moved from California to Louisville, I appreciate the Mayor's attempts to cut spending....in California, they just borrow, borrow, borrow and keep spending, spending, spending. It is sad to think about parks being closed, police and fire salaries being reduced, etc.....never pleasant or popular but unfortunately sometimes necessary. I think the mayor should do what is necessary to reduce spending and cut debt.
It is not ok to close somewhere that people have been going to since the 1930's just because it is inconvenient.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:53 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,480,400 times
Remember, all this is basically the Democrat way of life. I don't disagree with the value of parks and hard asset purchases, its the day to day operation where graft, greed, and apathy control.

If it were not for the purchase of the parks at the turn of the 1900's, Louisville would be just another town, but Democrats trying to run a business? Never has worked well, especially when tax dollars support business services the free market won't.

Oooooooh say can you seeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 12-02-2008, 04:22 PM

23,003 posts, read 31,957,905 times
This is a heart-breaker. OC Park gave a great view of the Ohio River which was a great part of my trip.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 13,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
What happened to the old church that used to be there? Why did they tear out the pool just to do nothing with it? The re-arranged everything and just screwed it all up. Thanks Dictator Jerry.
Missy,
The old church was used as a meeting hall for a while, and then it was used by the people that put on the Nightmare Forest...that is when it started going down hill. They didn't take care of it, and the park must have thought that it was too far gone to save, so it was boarded up, and there it is today, on the verge of falling down...The pool suffered the same fate, they used it until it was so far gone that it wasn't worth anything, then they filled it in. They built a "water park" in place of the pool. The "water park" is nothing more than a few glorified sprinklers...but i'm sure that it cost a lot of money. The city has wanted to get rid of Otter Creek Park for a long time...with the budget short fall, I guess they now have an excuse to get out from under it. I guess we all know now what the "Library Tax" that got voted down was going to be for! Just my opinion.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:14 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,878,500 times
It's been a long time since I've been to Otter Creek, but I can see the logic of using park $$$ for things closer in, like the Jeff Mem Forest.

Quote:
If it were not for the purchase of the parks at the turn of the 1900's, Louisville would be just another town,
Excatley right...the parks make Louisville. This is a big deal that people done appreciate unless they lived eslewhere.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,974,914 times
Default latest news

Emails I received today said that the Meade county executive is interested and has been interested in taking over Otter Creek and will focus on what methods need to be made to make the park a financial profit - to include cutting some of the timber in the areas that are less used to raise funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area