U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 13,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
The difference is that you can't drink in a state park.
You can't drink (or your not supposed to) in Otter Creek Park either. That was one of the problems that the Restaurant/Lodge faced. You had a lot of groups wanting to book Christmas parties, but the Park could not supply the alcohol...The group could bring their own though, but for some that was a hassle. Meade County is wet, but it is a location thing. It just so happens that Otter Creek Park is in an area that prohibits alcohol sales. The city of Muldraugh is the same way. The park could have made a lot of money selling beer and wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 04:52 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,982,286 times
Post Thursday update

Two things:
1) It is rumored that the mayor is aware that there is going to be federal and state assistance for local programs more towards what the city ended up cutting; libraries, civic projects, park closures, etc. Therefore in effect providing areas that are now identified as being earmarked for assistance. Today it was announced the state may be close to 'stepping in to save' Otter Creek. This may be why the park was staved off another two weeks from closing. Finally, if public works projects get federal and state assistance, this would end up creating jobs.

2) On one of the radio stations in Louisville, it was announced there is going to be an Otter Creek rally this Sunday at 2pm at the Pavilion (visitor center on right ~ 1 mile once you enter into the park). Supposedly there will be media in attendance. Everyone is invited.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:59 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,569,326 times
Quote:
Two things:
1) It is rumored that the mayor is aware that there is going to be federal and state assistance for local programs more towards what the city ended up cutting; libraries, civic projects, park closures, etc. Therefore in effect providing areas that are now identified as being earmarked for assistance. Today it was announced the state may be close to 'stepping in to save' Otter Creek. This may be why the park was staved off another two weeks from closing. Finally, if public works projects get federal and state assistance, this would end up creating jobs.

2) On one of the radio stations in Louisville, it was announced there is going to be an Otter Creek rally this Sunday at 2pm at the Pavilion (visitor center on right ~ 1 mile once you enter into the park). Supposedly there will be media in attendance. Everyone is invited.
I will definately be at the rally as will my children and husband and other family members.I hope you all will go too.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 13,399 times
Quote:
Two things:

I'll be there!!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:42 PM

Thumbs up Saving Otter Creek has a website!!

This website is amazing!! I don't know how someone could put together this many links and information in such a short amount of time. The background on the site is incredible.

http://saveottercreekpark.wordpress.com/

On another note, rumors are that the nature center may have already been vandalized and the new 'gate' (for when the park closes) has been pulled down.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:50 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 967,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyreport View Post
The city attempted to give the park to the state a few times. The state didn't want it, either. But I have always enjoyed Otter Creek. I live in Southwest Louisville, so it's not a long drive for me.

The main thing that really burns me up about this is...closing this park is supposed to save $180,000 this fiscal year. Abramson could have laid off two (2) of his spokespersons and saved more than that. How about them apples?
That would fix one problem by creating another--adding 2 more people to the 'out of work' group. I'm heartbroken that a place I spent so much time in as a kid is going the way of the dinosaurs, but there has to be another way than giving 2 more people the shaft.

Can someone tell me if they had Light Up Louisville again this year, and if it was as big as ever, or did they tone it down? It's seasonal things like this that need to be curbed in the short term; I don't think Light Up could really be considered a tourist attracting event, not in cold weather. Now Thunder--yes, because it's warm and perfect travel weather (back-n-forth weather systems aside! ).

I don't know. I think the whole darn world has been in financial meltdown for a lot longer than we've been freaking out over it; it's only now coming to a head. I fear it will get much worse before it gets a little better.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:52 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 967,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I will definately be at the rally as will my children and husband and other family members.I hope you all will go too.
I'll be there in spirit, MMof3! Good luck!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,222,930 times
Quote:
This website is amazing!! I don't know how someone could put together this many links and information in such a short amount of time. The background on the site is incredible.

http://saveottercreekpark.wordpress.com/
Great photographs! Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,569,326 times
As suprising as it is we aren't being heard. The park is still closing with no word on what is going to happen to it.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:47 PM

Default 2 Camps remain open at Otter Creek

Looks like a new electronic gate will be installed at Otter Creek for the two remaining camps.

2 camps at Otter Creek Park open | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area