U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 08:51 AM

27 posts, read 93,362 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to L'ville SOON and I need to know about schools, public and private, that can accomodate a sp. needs child. Think 10 yr old w/ something like Down's syndrome. Moderate function. No behavior issues. Are there any other parents out there with thoughts on this? I did see a Catholic school (we are Catholic) called the Pitt school but wasn't sure from the website if it would be right for our DD. Public school websites NEVER give much info for sp. needs (like the different therapies, other than speech, that they are willing to offer, adaptive PE etc.) You have to call each one, which leads to phone tag etc. In larger community like Louisville it can be very time consuming. Parents please help! ANY resources would be invaluable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 03:13 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,494,005 times
Jefferson County Public is the only school system in the region that has the full and complete capacity to serve any child with any profound special needs. My former wife is a special needs professional (no longer a teacher) but I know how capable the system as a whole is. You may get a bum individual teacher/administrator, but the overall capacity of the system is very good indeed. Shame they can't teach normal kids as well.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:49 AM

5 posts, read 11,169 times
You should talk to the "Academy for Individual Excellence" in Eastern Jefferson County. www.aiexcellenence.com

Old 12-29-2008, 02:55 PM

27 posts, read 93,362 times
Thanks for the info. on schools. I did look at AI Excellence and thought it was a great concept, probably for kids with ADHD or LD's. My daughter has a syndrome similar to Down's and I didn't think AIE was geared towards the MR population. I did find the Binet school. Does anyone know more about it or have any experience there? Any teachers out there???

Old 08-24-2009, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,966 times
Default Responding to childcare for special need children

Hi, my name is April Green and I'm trying to open my own center for special needs MRDD and Down Syndrome kids. Things are not off the ground yet. I'm willing to start in my home until I'm able to get my building, willing to do all three shifts. I would love the opportunity to provide care for your child.

Thanks, April Green

Old 08-26-2009, 12:22 PM

38 posts, read 90,182 times
Definitely check Pitt Academy and Friends School. I have never heard a bad thing about either one. We have a child with special needs and he is going to JCPS for now but we may move him to a school called Heuser Hearing and Language Academy because he is 4 1/2 and does not speak so I doubt that would be something that would help you much.
We have been through the special needs circus with the public schools and had one child in ECE for a year and is now fully mainstreamed. The problem with going the public school route is that you need to know exactly what program you want or else your child will be babysat all day. We have done well because we have a loose network of moms to give us the "dl" on certain schools, curriculum and students outcomes. Feel free to pm me and I can probably connect you with other parents who have more info than myself.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 6,786 times
Hi Everyone,
Little Flock Baptist Church on Preston Highway has a Special Needs ministry and provides every month a weekend where childcare is provided for children with Special Needs. This allows the family to go out for an evening, get some errands done or anything else that may prove to be quite overwhelming with Special Needs families. We are located in Shepherdsville, KY and have programs for youth of all ages. We also are in the process of trying to understand (By reaching out) what are the needs of the communities and areas around us so that we may be better equipped to continue to provide services aimed at SN. This is not a members-only club. We accept first-time guests, members or even visiting families that are not yet settled-in to take advantage of this Ministry's services. There are no costs but we do ask that you contact us/register with us 10 days prior to the first weekend of each month (10 days before that weekend). RESPITE and Game Night are both activities to outreach to the community and take place on the first Friday and Saturday of each month. Please feel free to ask for any additional answers that you may have.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:55 PM

6 posts, read 12,824 times
Default special needs schooling

I worked at academy for Individual Excellence. The school is great for all disabilities. They have a reputation for the LD and ADHD. My son attended there and he had High functioning Aspergers The students are taught to interact with every type of student. The school does not only contain disabled kids but kids who excel in academics and have not enjoyed the public school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area