U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-30-2008, 05:18 PM
 
5,059 posts, read 8,364,973 times
Reputation: 2703

Advertisements

I would like to know if there are any good community colleges in the Louisville/Jefferson/Oldham vicinity that are located in areas that also have very strong public neighborhood high schools. Goal would be to limit the travel time to the community college to within 10 minutes.

Thanks much for any leads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2008, 05:25 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,589 posts, read 20,475,294 times
Reputation: 9079
The main branch of Jefferson Community College is located Downtown. There are several excellent magnet schools (public schools where you have to meet admissions standards to attend). Dupont Manual is located in Old Louisville and is the state's top HS. I think Brown HS downtown is also a magnet downtown.

You can get downtown in 10-15 minutes from many locations in the city. St Matthews or even Lyndon wouldn't be too bad of a commute. There may be areas in The Highlands (even closer) with good public schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 8,905,824 times
Reputation: 3297
Dupont Manual, Male, Ballard, Brown Magnet are strong public high schools closer in to the city center. These are all within 15 minutes in good traffic to JCC-Downtown. Dupont Manual and Brown would be the closest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 AM
 
5,059 posts, read 8,364,973 times
Reputation: 2703
Thanks for the feedback. As a practical matter, what would happen if one moved to Louisville/Jefferson during the summer and tried to place children in public or private middle/high schools for the fall? I am really attracted to some of the properties the Highlands/Cherokee Triangle areas in Louisville, but the "assigned" high school - Atherton - seems to get mixed reviews. If we were to make such a move without an enormous amount of planning, would we be better off in Oldham instead? Much of Oldham seems to resemble the suburbs outside of DC in MD and VA (with which I'm familiar), on a smaller scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2009, 02:03 PM
 
153 posts, read 477,162 times
Reputation: 47
JEB77, Atherton is just fine. It is in a very safe Highlands location. Your children will get the education they WANT, nothing more and nothing less. Our school system resembles a large university system in this regard. At the magnet schools and private institutions, everyone is there to excel so kids get the education they NEED. If your children are responsible and want to attain the best possible education, they'll be fine because they'll TRY. The myths about the school systems problems are just that. I went to a non magnet institution and did great. It is more about your children and your beliefs in their abilities and charisma. If your attracted to the older neighborhoods that make up the Highlands and Triangle, you and your children will be very happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2009, 02:36 PM
 
6,297 posts, read 13,187,373 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcopper View Post
JEB77, Atherton is just fine. It is in a very safe Highlands location. Your children will get the education they WANT, nothing more and nothing less. Our school system resembles a large university system in this regard. At the magnet schools and private institutions, everyone is there to excel so kids get the education they NEED. If your children are responsible and want to attain the best possible education, they'll be fine because they'll TRY. The myths about the school systems problems are just that. I went to a non magnet institution and did great. It is more about your children and your beliefs in their abilities and charisma. If your attracted to the older neighborhoods that make up the Highlands and Triangle, you and your children will be very happy.
agreed completely. Also, Oldham County is nothing like the DC suburbs unless you are talking the ones 30 miles out...it is much more country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2009, 02:56 PM
 
5,059 posts, read 8,364,973 times
Reputation: 2703
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
agreed completely. Also, Oldham County is nothing like the DC suburbs unless you are talking the ones 30 miles out...it is much more country.
I get that - there are probably 25 high schools in each of the three major DC suburban jurisdictions (Fairfax VA, Montgomery MD and Prince George's MD) vs. three high schools in Oldham. I just meant that it seems that a lot of the housing in Oldham is newer construction similar to what's been built in suburban DC over the past 10-15 years. In comparsion, there don't seem to be many neighborhoods in the DC area similar to the Highlands/Cherokee Triangle, except for parts of NW Washington like Cleveland Park that are at least twice as expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2009, 03:02 PM
 
5,059 posts, read 8,364,973 times
Reputation: 2703
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcopper View Post
JEB77, Atherton is just fine. It is in a very safe Highlands location. Your children will get the education they WANT, nothing more and nothing less. Our school system resembles a large university system in this regard. At the magnet schools and private institutions, everyone is there to excel so kids get the education they NEED. If your children are responsible and want to attain the best possible education, they'll be fine because they'll TRY. The myths about the school systems problems are just that. I went to a non magnet institution and did great. It is more about your children and your beliefs in their abilities and charisma. If your attracted to the older neighborhoods that make up the Highlands and Triangle, you and your children will be very happy.
Thanks for this - does this mean, however, that a summer arrival to the Louisville/Jefferson area locks one into the assigned "base" public school, without an ability to check out other public/private schools for the fall? The Louisville/Jefferson system seems like an interesting one with plenty of choces for those who are already part of the system, but perhaps a bit more daunting for a newcomer to navigate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2009, 03:04 PM
 
6,297 posts, read 13,187,373 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I get that - there are probably 25 high schools in each of the three major DC suburban jurisdictions (Fairfax VA, Montgomery MD and Prince George's MD) vs. three high schools in Oldham. I just meant that it seems that a lot of the housing in Oldham is newer construction similar to what's been built in suburban DC over the past 10-15 years. In comparsion, there don't seem to be many neighborhoods in the DC area similar to the Highlands/Cherokee Triangle, except for parts of NW Washington like Cleveland Park that are at least twice as expensive.
I'd say Cleveland Park is a good comparison but also beware that the Highlands has a new south Georgetown attitude too. The Highlands is a MASSIVE area and is a generic word for 11 neighborhoods actually. Some of the northern Highland nabes have a bit of a Georgetown feel to them, although the architecture and density are much different.

From what I have seen, people relocating to Louisville from larger cities love the Highlands. They can't imagine such a nice, dense, walkable, educated place exists for so cheap in somewhere like KY, in the middle of a mid major city so close to downtown. I cam from Chicago and I couldn't....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2009, 06:39 PM
 
153 posts, read 477,162 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Thanks for this - does this mean, however, that a summer arrival to the Louisville/Jefferson area locks one into the assigned "base" public school, without an ability to check out other public/private schools for the fall? The Louisville/Jefferson system seems like an interesting one with plenty of choces for those who are already part of the system, but perhaps a bit more daunting for a newcomer to navigate.

Summer arrival isn't a problem. Your base school is there as a default under ANY circumstances. Your welcome to check into the other magnet schools and private and then still enroll in the base school if things don't work out. My oldest tried out Male High, hated it, and then happily went to Ballard. Male is more highly regarded but it isn't better. Its the myths that are disturbing; they're only myths. Multiculturalism is very important in the Jefferson county system and a certain population seems to complain about the school system's process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top