U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 AM
 
41 posts, read 170,409 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Lets hear about best Thai restaurant in Louisville area. We are vegan and want to try out some spicy thai restaurant with vegan option. Any suggestions?

Happy New Year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2008, 04:16 PM
 
22 posts, read 50,551 times
Reputation: 12
There are two that I know of but I am sure that there are more.

There is Thai Siam on Bardstown Road, just west of The Watterson Expressway (I-264.) We eat there a few times per month. I like their green and yellow curries but get them with tofu instead of meat. These dishes aren't very spicy though.

There is also Thai Cafe in Holiday Manor in the east end. Haven't been there in years though.

Bound to be others though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2008, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Lexington
270 posts, read 831,605 times
Reputation: 107
I don't know if you'd consider this "Louisville area", but there's a fantastic Thai restaurant in Frankfort called Thai Smile. It's in a rundown strip mall and doesn't look like much, but the food is top-notch! You can get most any dish on the menu in a vegetarian option...I frequently order the tofu pad thai and it's delicious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2009, 03:38 PM
 
6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
I don't know if you'd consider this "Louisville area", but there's a fantastic Thai restaurant in Frankfort called Thai Smile. It's in a rundown strip mall and doesn't look like much, but the food is top-notch! You can get most any dish on the menu in a vegetarian option...I frequently order the tofu pad thai and it's delicious!
Thai Smile is actually based out of Louisville. There is one on south preston and one in the east end, so no need to drive to Frankfort for it. There are actually about 15 thai restaurants in Louisville and maybe a half dozen more restaurants serving a large thai menu in addition to other options. This includes places like the Lemongrass Cafe mini chain (which also has some nice Vietnamese and Chinese dishes).

The best two in my opinion are Mai's Thai in Jeffersonville, IN (in a nondescript strip mall 5 minutes from downtown), and Thai Taste on lower Brownsboro Road in the Clifton Heights nighborhood.

If you live in the east end, Sala Thai gets the best ratings from what I hear out that way. There is also a place I heard about in the strip mall that houses Tony Roma's that is supposed to be good.

After all that advice, though, you are better up signing up for this free forum and making a similar thread:

Louisville Restaurants Forum • Index page

The forum is free and the people are amazingly knowledgeable and friendly, and you will get much better food advice there. When I first moved here I actually met up with some of them for dinner outings and made friends that way. Louisville is so lucky to have such an amazing food scene that I would say competes with top 20 cities, and this is largely because of the foodie culture in the city that is developing off things like that board.


Also, there are many excellent all vegan or vegetarian restaurants in Louisville as there is a large population in search of this. Again, join that forum and ask for advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2009, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Lexington
270 posts, read 831,605 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Thai Smile is actually based out of Louisville. There is one on south preston and one in the east end, so no need to drive to Frankfort for it.
The two Thai Smile restaurants in Louisville are Thai Smile 4 and Thai Smile 5. Not sure how that means they are "based out of Louisville." They also have a location in Richmond. Anyway, I eat at the location in Frankfort regularly and have talked to the owner many times; he has a fantastic "tongue-in-cheek" sense of humor, you just have to know how to take him because he can sort of come off like the "Soup Nazi" of Seinfeld fame.

The service is quick and the food is fantastic...and you can gauge it's popularity by the line snaking out of the door onto the sidewalk at lunch time! But, it's definitely worth the wait!

Nevertheless, if the food is as good at the Louisville locations as it is at the Frankfort location, then I would agree that there's no need to drive to Frankfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2009, 10:05 PM
 
6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
The two Thai Smile restaurants in Louisville are Thai Smile 4 and Thai Smile 5. Not sure how that means they are "based out of Louisville." They also have a location in Richmond. Anyway, I eat at the location in Frankfort regularly and have talked to the owner many times; he has a fantastic "tongue-in-cheek" sense of humor, you just have to know how to take him because he can sort of come off like the "Soup Nazi" of Seinfeld fame.

The service is quick and the food is fantastic...and you can gauge it's popularity by the line snaking out of the door onto the sidewalk at lunch time! But, it's definitely worth the wait!

Nevertheless, if the food is as good at the Louisville locations as it is at the Frankfort location, then I would agree that there's no need to drive to Frankfort.
The owner of the one on South Preston said his family moved to Louisville from Thailand and opened up Thai restaurants across the state. Anyhow, although I have not had their location in Frankfort (I may next time on my way to Lexington), I can assure you there is much better Thai food to be had in the Louisville metro area, and I listed a few of the options above (although the owner was a nice man, I was not too impressed with the food or the menu).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top