U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,236 times

Advertisements

Okay, I just found out today that there's a strong possibility my husband might be relocated to the louisville area. We're in Panama City Beach, FL and we love it here, but with this economy, you know, we go where we have to. so! I need help if someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction at least to start looking!

-Where you are working:
east side of louisville
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
we'll be renting at first obviously, and we'd like to stay under $1300 a month--but we need at least 3 BR/2 BA, nice safe area, etc.
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
he prefers 30 mins or less but has done as much as an hour.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
public, so that's a concern as well...good schools. my kids are young, oldest is 1st grade, then a 4 year old and a newborn.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
with the kids, maybe not too "city" although if we could drive to city things for dates and things that would be nice. suburbia but not stuck so close together you can't breathe. we'd also do more country, land, etc if we could, but probably prefer an area with other children for my kids to play with.

-Community amenities important to you
family oriented! parks, ability to take walks/ride bikes, etc.

-Pie or cake?
yum! cake please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 12:54 PM

21 posts, read 52,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithstation2000 View Post
Okay, I just found out today that there's a strong possibility my husband might be relocated to the louisville area. We're in Panama City Beach, FL and we love it here, but with this economy, you know, we go where we have to. so! I need help if someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction at least to start looking!

-Where you are working:
east side of louisville
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
we'll be renting at first obviously, and we'd like to stay under $1300 a month--but we need at least 3 BR/2 BA, nice safe area, etc. We lived in Anchorage, which is on the East End, and had a very nice condo for around $1000. per month. Sycamore II.
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
he prefers 30 mins or less but has done as much as an hour. No matter where you live and work in Louisville, your commute should not be very long. I would live on the East End though, because it's nicer, (in my opinion) and it will be closer to his work.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
public, so that's a concern as well...good schools. my kids are young, oldest is 1st grade, then a 4 year old and a newborn. The school system here is...unusual. Basically, depending on where you live, you have a choice of about nine schools spread out all over Louisville. It seems like each "cluster" has one great school and some that are ok, and some that aren't.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
with the kids, maybe not too "city" although if we could drive to city things for dates and things that would be nice. suburbia but not stuck so close together you can't breathe. we'd also do more country, land, etc if we could, but probably prefer an area with other children for my kids to play with. I think you'd love Anchorage. You can stroll through the neighborhoods without fear, and it's very close to everything else, as well.

-Community amenities important to you
family oriented! parks, ability to take walks/ride bikes, etc. When we lived at Sycamore II, we were within walking distance of a very nice community pool and park.

-Pie or cake?
yum! cake please!
Red Velvet?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,236 times
red velvet is actually my favorite!

the school thing does sound strange. do you know what school your child will be going to based on the house you are renting?
we might also look into condos, not discounting that, but we are in a home now and that might make the transition easier to just rent another home.
we need something large--at least 1800 sq ft, which isn't all that large for 5 people. but I also work from home so I need office space, hence the larger home. our house now is 2100.

I'll look into Anchorage and any other suggestions you guys may have.

thanks!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 PM

21 posts, read 52,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithstation2000 View Post
red velvet is actually my favorite!

the school thing does sound strange. do you know what school your child will be going to based on the house you are renting?
we might also look into condos, not discounting that, but we are in a home now and that might make the transition easier to just rent another home.
we need something large--at least 1800 sq ft, which isn't all that large for 5 people. but I also work from home so I need office space, hence the larger home. our house now is 2100.

I'll look into Anchorage and any other suggestions you guys may have.

thanks!
You know what cluster you belong in depending on your address. The schools in each cluster are all over town. You are supposed to be able to pick the one you want, but from my experience (moved here two years ago) you basically have to beg and plead. However, you will have a "home" school which has to accept you if you can't find another one in the cluster you like better and has openings...
Here is a link to their info: Parents (http://www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/Parent/Index.shtml - broken link)

We live in the Coves which is near Westport Road. It's also a very nice area.

We did have a WONDERFUL real estate agent who has done a fabulous job for us. I don't know if she does rentals, but her name is Katrina Blomquist. She is fabulous! Here is a link to her info: Louisville Kentucky REALTOR Resume - Katrina Blomquist

If you need to know anything else, just let us know.

~Christina

Old 01-02-2009, 02:40 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Welcome to our forum, both of you. Based on your needs, I think you are getting good advice. Specifically, what address will you work at. The "east end" is a generic term for a huge swath of area with at least 300,000 residents.

Based on your needs, you may also look at Oldham County, specifically near Crestwood. However, don't let the school situation with JCPS scare you. It is a wonderfully large and diverse district where your needs can be met. Think of JCPS like trying a local independent Italian restaurant. Some are ok, but when you find that stellar one, its a grand slam! On the other hand, Oldham County is like a chain restaurant like Carraba's. You know its always going to be safe and average, but there is no chance of any pleasant surprise.

In Jefferson County, I would also look heavily at the Prospect area. If you want a more traditional neighborhood oriented development, look into Norton Commons.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:07 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,553,882 times
As a parent, I would look into the traditional magnet program in Louisville or just do Oldham county. STX I know you mean well hun but when it comes to your children's education, gambling isn't a good idea.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:14 PM

257 posts, read 771,730 times
I do agree with stx above when he said to check out Norton Commons. I REALLY do think you may find what you are looking for there.
Welcome to Norton Commons, a Traditional Neighborhood Development in Prospect, Kentucky

it is a great development.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:35 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
As a parent, I would look into the traditional magnet program in Louisville or just do Oldham county. STX I know you mean well hun but when it comes to your children's education, gambling isn't a good idea.
Missy, JCPS is no gamble. As I have pointed out time and again, the top JCPS schools are far and away higher ranked in national publications, have better teachers, and their graduates win more college scholarships and score higher on standardized tests. It is just the lower ranked schools in JCPS that bring the district down to make it an average district overall.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,898,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Missy, JCPS is no gamble. As I have pointed out time and again, the top JCPS schools are far and away higher ranked in national publications, have better teachers, and their graduates win more college scholarships and score higher on standardized tests. It is just the lower ranked schools in JCPS that bring the district down to make it an average district overall.
Your and Missy's points are both true and valid. It's just that in a system as large as JCPS (and I'd say the same for Fayette Co., Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Nashville/Davidson Co., etc.) it's very imperative to talk to and research schools extensively before deciding which one is worth sending your child to.

Dupont Manual, Male, Eastern, and Ballard are all very top notch schools in their own right by any stretch. If there are any other JCPS schools of their calibers that I have left out, please tell me. However, if I had kids, I would be caught dead before sending them to J'town, Fairdale, Southern, or Doss.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 01-03-2009 at 09:10 PM..

Old 01-03-2009, 09:06 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,553,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Your's and Missy's points are both true and valid. It's just that in a system as large as JCPS (and I'd say the same for Fayette Co., Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Nashville/Davidson Co., etc.) it's very imperative to talk to and research schools extensively before deciding which one is worth sending your child to.

Dupont Manual, Male, Eastern, and Ballard are all very top notch schools in their own right by any stretch. If there are any other JCPS schools of their calibers that I have left out, please tell me. However, if I had kids, I would be caught dead before sending them to J'town, Fairdale, Southern, or Doss.
Or Western, or Iroquois, or Shawnee, and the list goes on. STX you aren't a parent or even from here so I guess you don't understand the way I do. When it is your own kids' education, you know it is precious and nothing to be gambled with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area