U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Couple disappointed in Louisville, renting two bedroom apartment 1500 per month, Louisville not providing urbane atmosphere such as Portland Oregon, no art or music scene

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 AM

23 posts, read 48,529 times

Advertisements

Wow, after living here for a year and a half, I'm finally finding myself defending Louisville. Here it goes:

I grew up in So Cal, have lived in 5 states, and been to 28 states. I've spent plenty of time in the Milwaukee/Chicago, and even Boston areas. No, Louisville is not that big. We have population but it's much more spread out (Thank God). I agree with what someone else said, maybe you're just homesick (or anticipating that you will be). There's plenty of great housing on the east end of Louisville. We have many great concerts here and other festivities. April and May are awesome with pre-KY Derby festivities. People might think of Louisville, KENTUCKY as some hole in the wall hickville, but it's truly not....and if I can say that being from So Cal, I have confidence that with time you will come to the same conclusion. You are also only a couple hours drive from Indianapolis, St. Louis, Cincy, etc. Lastly, I don't know how you got stuck renting a place for $1500 in this city, unless you're renting those brand new skyscraper wannabe condos right on the river. There are a ton of great, affordable rental places here. Anyway, I have rambled on enough. My advice is, you will get out what you put in here, and anywhere else. It's actually a great place. A big move always takes at least a few months of adjustment. Louisville is definitely one of the better places I've lived. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 05:03 AM

69 posts, read 290,499 times
OP-

Do not give up your job in Wisconsin...all the $$ your wife may be making is great, but if your not happy there, then what difference does it make. I totally understand the "recruitment" phase seeming great, then you live there & think, what were we thinking. Not to offend anyone, it's beautiful, etc. ,but I really believe it's a place you love the most if you were raised there. Sure you can learn to love it, but roots are hard to transplant there & like one post said...you feel like you almost have to defend it. I know, people will say, you've only been there a short time, but usually your feeling w/in the first few months is correct.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:27 PM

54 posts, read 210,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schools View Post
OP-
...but usually your feeling w/in the first few months is correct.
I couldn't disagree more. Most people on here have lived elsewhere, so everyone has their own experience of being in a new place. The first few months, to me, can just as easily be a honeymoon period, where everything new seems so fresh. However, that can sour more than an unwelcomed transfer can sweeten.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:27 PM

49 posts, read 86,438 times
I like your post. It made me see it without out all the clutter and butter but direct. Thanks.(smile)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrenchd View Post
For any other big city transplants or potential transplants reading, I thought I'd chime in to offer some encouragement.

My wife and I relocated to Louisville from NYC about 6 months ago. To be fair, we have Kentucky connections, but neither of us have any history or family in Louisville. We are both 29, started our careers in NYC and lived there for over 6 years. In many ways, we definitely fit the over-educated over-"cultured" hipster urbanite stereotype.

Suffice to say, we loved living in NYC (Williamsburg, Brooklyn to be exact), and we love Louisville too. It's definitely a slower pace and forces one to be a bit more exploratory and proactive about meeting people, finding favorite bars/restaurants/etc, but if you know what makes you happy and don't need your entertainment spoon-fed to you, there is more than enough here.

The people can be clique-y yes, but they are also genuinely friendly and helpful in my experience. I've found striking up casual friendships with a broad range of types of people (at the level of getting lunch, after-work drinks, etc) very, very easy. A few months isn't enough time to forge close bonds or develop a strong core group of friends. But those casual friendships are fertile ground for harvesting that down the road. This is not unique to Louisville at all. I would imagine it's true when moving anywhere new -- I know it took us a good 12-18 months before we felt settled and happy in NYC, like we belonged.

As far as cost of living goes, I can't disagree more. For the price of a *really crappy* 500sf shoebox studio in Manhattan/Brooklyn, we were able to buy a lovely 3BR/2.5BA brick Colonial Revival in the Highlands that is a 10 minute walk from a park, the local independent cinema, a library branch, and a stretch of great restaurants, bars, and shopping on Bardstown Rd. I won't argue that some of the condos here are overpriced, but come on, did you do any research at all before making the move?

Anyway, Louisville is a gem of a city we've found. There are definitely some adjustments to be made for those coming from a NYC/SF/LA/Chicago-type place, but Louisville truly has a lot to offer people like us. It just takes an open mind, a small amount of effort, and a genuine desire to be happy here.

Some people are just bad at being happy or coping with change. If that's you (nothing wrong with it), be honest with yourself and take a step back. Just make it through the winter and commit yourself to giving Louisville your best shot once spring & summer roll around. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

The only caveat I might mention is that Louisville is not the most diverse city. To call it lily-white would be unfair, but if you are not Black or Latino and finding a community with the same ethnic/cultural background is really important to you, I suggest you do some research before making the jump. Can't speak from experience, just what I've heard from co-workers & other friends who have had some difficulty in that regard.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:44 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,482,726 times
We moved here from So. California 18 months ago. We looked at the Highlands, Crescent Hill and St. Matthews areas - there are some charming, charming neighborhoods....but often there are really badly kept houses and yards mixed in with the beauties. We have friends who live in the Highlands - crime is a problem there and they are thinking about moving because of the crime.

We are used to living in a nice area where people keep their homes and yards looking neat and clean. We didn't want to look at the neighbors old couch on their messy front porch or risk having our property values go down because someone moved in next door that didn't like to mow their lawn or keep up their house.

We moved to Prospect - Hunting Creek. We absolutely love it here. There isn't an ill-kept house or yard in our subdivision. Our doctor, dentist, grocery store, pharmacist, nursery, Starbucks, post office, paint store, nail salon and nice restaurants are 5 minutes from our door by car or a 20 minute walk from our house.

Our subdivision is filled with mature trees, lakes, streams, a beautiful golf course, community events (we have the best fireworks show here and we can sit on our screened in porch for a bird's eye view). We loved watching the fawns grow up last year - they were always resting in our yard each morning when we had our breakfast on our screened in porch. We know our neighbors and people are very friendly and helpful. Our little street held an open house for the holidays which was a lot of fun.

The city of Prospect is very responsive to problems like burned out street lights, etc. We have twice-a-week trash pick-up and the streets are kept plowed and salted when it snows. We have our own police department and the fire department is very responsive and close.

Our utilities are underground so we have far fewer power outages than in the Highlands and other older areas. Even during last year's ice storm our power was out less than a day.

It is a pleasure to drive in and out of our subdivision - it is beautiful here and we are pleased to see the reaction of our visitors that have never been here.

We are close to the river but not in a flood area (Hunting Creek and Fox Harbor, etc. are on a hill.) We love kayaking and have a great launch spot on Harrod's Creek. We have a short drive to the Summit shopping center, Costco, Myers, Lowes, etc. The bigger malls are an easy drive from Prospect.. We are also 5 minutes from the beautiful horse farms and rural areas that dot highway 42.

We frequent the shops on Frankfort and shop in St. Matthews and eat in the fun restaurants in the Highlands - they aren't that far from us.

I highly recommend that you look at Prospect.

Last edited by Cattknap; 02-07-2010 at 10:01 AM..

Old 02-07-2010, 11:02 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,391,274 times
Prospect is a nice area, I would recommend it as well.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:47 AM

93 posts, read 241,157 times
First, Louisville is what you make of it. Personally, I love Louisville and really have no problems with my life because of my city.

Second, I am going to be brutally honest. It's hard to complain about rent when you chose to live in the most expensive (and only) tower in The Highlands.

Thirdly, I find an irony in complaining about an art scene. Beauty if in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

But again, I love Louisville and my life. I also like art and Bardstown Road.

I also like Muhammad Ali and college basketball.

And Churchill Downs too.

I like to find dives in the city

it's where the best people are.

Pubs that I am not going to tell you the name of.

But I know faces on 4th Street too.

The blue collar people of Germantown
I like them too.

And you too Dixie Highway peeps
you're cool.

I've lived other places and I'm about to move away again.

But I know I'll be back
And I'll be excited when I do.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:02 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,551,450 times
[quote=ThePoint502;12866722]And you too Dixie Highway peeps
you're cool.[quote]

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2010, 01:40 AM

158 posts, read 402,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePoint502 View Post
First, Louisville is what you make of it. Personally, I love Louisville and really have no problems with my life because of my city.

Second, I am going to be brutally honest. It's hard to complain about rent when you chose to live in the most expensive (and only) tower in The Highlands.

Thirdly, I find an irony in complaining about an art scene. Beauty if in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

But again, I love Louisville and my life. I also like art and Bardstown Road.

I also like Muhammad Ali and college basketball.

And Churchill Downs too.

I like to find dives in the city

it's where the best people are.

Pubs that I am not going to tell you the name of.

But I know faces on 4th Street too.

The blue collar people of Germantown
I like them too.

And you too Dixie Highway peeps
you're cool.

I've lived other places and I'm about to move away again.

But I know I'll be back
And I'll be excited when I do.
Baby I don't know if you are a gal or a guy and it really don't matter...You got my props, my respect, my what have you...

I was born in Louisville and I left as an adult...I have lived in a lot of major cities in the USA and I have lived in Europe...and in Europe I have visited a LOT of towns...etc.

So to say---I've been to Paris---NYC---London--most everywhere in between---and anyone that feels it is needed to make the distinction between the highlands---south end---shively---prospect?

Are a bunch of self important, self proclaimed bourgeoisie ---LOL ---who would be shunned by those they seek to emulate.

I am from Louisville. It is what it is, it's a beautiful city in all it's glory---and no "side" no "area" is better than the other. I beg you to trust me on that one.

So ThePoint502...you have made a most salient point my friend...and for those who choose to differ and to put their noses up in the air because they are from a "certain" side of Louisville---I offer you the SOUTH END SALUTE---middle finger my friends...middle finger.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,482,726 times
Armywifeandmom - you are very wrong about everything being the same - no area is better or worse - just not true. Where we choose to live and what appeals to each individual is very subjective. For whatever reason, we do make choices about where we live based on criteria that we consider to be "good" or "bad" for our personal circumstances and preferences.

I tried very hard in my post to point out the great things about St. Matthews and the Highlands (we love parts of downtown too) but the decay, broken down houses, junky yards, traffic and crime can be problems for some who might be considering moving there (remember I was posting for the original poster - not for you). These are things that prospective residents should know.

I was not mean spirited in my post or personally insulting as you have been. Why are you so defensive? There are differences in areas of town and that is obvious to anyone who takes the time to visit various areas of Louisville and surrounds. Those differences can be viewed as good or bad or more or less appealing depending on individual tastes.

Our friends who live off of Bardstown have had continuous problems late at night with teenagers doing drugs and having sex in their backyard during the warmer months. They have had things stolen from their property. Prospective residents need to know those things and plan for them should they decide to move to that area.

We love Louisville and shop, visit friends, take in concerts and exhibits and dine in most areas of Louisville - we enjoy going there and do so often - we just choose to live some place else because of our personal preferences. It is valuable to have balanced and fair posts when someone asks a question. Your response is inappropriate and some of it simply isn't true based on simple logic.

You don't have to agree with me but you also don't have to be insulting and rude - that is not what this forum or this thread is about....your behaviour should not be tolerated.

Wanting to live where lawns are mowed and houses are maintained and crime is lower and traffic is less does not mean I am snooty or proud - it is what we are used to and like. May not be for everyone and that is fine. I can certainly see the appeal of living in many areas of Louisville.

Last edited by Cattknap; 02-13-2010 at 08:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or