U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:21 AM

6,958 posts, read 12,372,463 times

Advertisements

stx, I'm a little gun shy on using the online maps. A few years ago we were driving to visit family in Pennsylvania. My wife went online to get the route. My step son and I told her Rand McNally kept a good map folded up under the passenger seat. lol From Cadiz we went up the Pennyrile to the WK parkway. Once we were on the Bluegrass and started getting off in Lexington is where we took a wild mapquest ride. Instead of taking the Circle Road around town, mapquest told her to go straight on another road. We ended up going right through the middle of the University of Kentucky campus, right by where the Wildcats were playing football, in the 3rd quarter! Once we got off campuse and headed in the right direction for I-64, my stepson called her on the cell and wanted me to stop at the next corner. When she asked why, he wanted me to stop so she could take her printed out mapquest directions and put them in the trash can on the corner. He and I laughed but mama didn't think it was that funny! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 03:23 AM

706 posts, read 1,312,609 times
The Internets.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Nope. It is 10 max to destin. Big speeders make it in under 9 hours.

louisville ky - Google Maps F-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=image

Google places it at 10 hours 30 minutes, but this assumes speed limits or under. If you average 80 mph, you will make it in well under 10 hours, even with stops. Most people drive down there.

The Carolina beaches are actually about 100 miles further to NC and about 50 miles further to the SC beaches.
Wrong. Louisville to PCB Florida and Louisvile to Myrtle Beach SC are within 20 miles of being the same distance.And by the way, the drive from PCB to Myrtle is also within 20 miles of being the same distance( kind of a big triangle). Been to PCB at least 12 times (former timeshare owner ) and Myrtle Beach 2, sometimes 3 times a year for the last 10 years and driven every time.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 AM

270 posts, read 831,484 times
My parents own a house in Palm Beach Gardens, FL, so that's where I normally go. I like the proximity to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.

However, I also like Virginia Beach and Myrtle Beach.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 AM

330 posts, read 620,565 times
Callaway Gardens in Georgia is nice. It's about a half hour outside Columbus Georgia

Old 01-06-2009, 10:47 AM

264 posts, read 751,660 times
You guys need to go to the Northern Outer Banks, Hatteras Island or Duck. Nothing like North Carolina's Outer Banks.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:30 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,877,631 times
Quote:
I'm interested in the closer lakes mentioned too. I've heard the lakes are great but didn't know which ones everyone went to... thanks for info! :-)
The Lakes! Much shorter drive than Florida or the Carolinas, and the water isn't salty.

Here are the two we went to a lot...links to the state resort park web pages. Both of these have free beaches, and a pool if you stay at the lodge or in a cabin.

Rough River

(which is quite close)

Barren River

(which is further, but most of the way is interstate, I-65)

Now two others that I've heard are nice are Lake Cumberland and (especially) Dale Hollow. Both have lodges and cabins too, but people also rent houseboats for a houseboat vacation on the lake.

I should say I have been to Lake Cumberland, but it was winter or late fall for a quick getaway. Cumberland is one of the few state resort parks open in the winter. Another is Natural Bridge, which you can use as a base for day-hikes in the Red River Gorge. Natural Bridge is popular with Cincinnati folks, too, I hear.

For things to do, these parks sometimes have these naturalist programs, and all the lodges I've been at have a game room with pool and ping-pong tables. Otherwise, you are out in the country, so the next thing to do is go into the county seat and walk around the courthouse square ;-)

You can surf around that site to check out what the parks have to offer. Kentucky is really great as you do have some nice places close at hand, but they are not really as tourist-oriented as Florida as you are not on the ocean or one of the great lakes.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:49 AM

270 posts, read 831,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
Callaway Gardens in Georgia is nice. It's about a half hour outside Columbus Georgia
I visited Callaway Gardens once when I lived in Atlanta back in the '90s. It is beautiful!

Old 01-12-2009, 05:55 PM

666 posts, read 2,202,643 times
we go to the panhandle area, AKA the Redneck Riviera, ive been to Destin, Ft. Walton, Miramar Beach, as well as Gulf Shores, Alabama. My favorite is Destin. There is plenty to do there, but the traffic can get bad on the weekends and during spring break. It took us 10 hours last year, and that was with a lot of stops...A lot of other people I know go to Rosemary Beach and they really like that, its about 45 min away from Destin i think, and some people also go to Daytona Beach or Myrtle Beach.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:57 PM

13 posts, read 46,340 times
I go to Gulf Shores, AL every November for Thanksgiving in the fall. Not too far from Pensacola,FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area