Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Central Massachusetts resident seeks information on Louisville area, water quality, air pollution, prefer country setting, park system, availability of technology jobs

Old 03-07-2007, 06:09 AM

54 posts, read 372,357 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! This may get long winded, so bear with me, and thank you for your patience from the outset.

I am looking to relocate from Massachusetts in the next year or two. Though my career field is in high demand here (technology), there are many other factors that make this area less than desirable for me to stay. One is the weather - I'm not a winter person. Another is the growth in the area. More and more condominiums and cul de sacs, but the support systems for that kind of development is not appearing.

My area (central Mass) is quickly becoming a shell of its former self due to loss of employment, and all of the action is east of I-495, essentially in the Boston metro area. The cost of living is absurd, and the quality of life, in my viewpoint, doesn't make up for it.

Worcester, the nearest city to me, just cannot get its head about it and really offers me nothing. Their idea of urban improvement is to continuously rebuild the mall in the center of town. I wish them well, but it's not a place I could ever feel comfortable in.

So, I have been searching around for a new place to call home, and Kentucky is on my list of possibilities. I have been to Kentucky several times, but never to the Louisville area. So far, what I've read on here has been helpful, but also somewhat concerning. I have read about developments going up "all over". Does the local transportation infrastructure have the capability of supporting these developments? How is the mass transit system? I understand that Louisville does not have a light rail system, but does have a bus system.

I know that to live in a vibrant area will take some trade-offs, I just worry that I will be approaching an area that will turn into a Boston situation - one major highway improvement project in 50 years, and it took 20 years to complete, and then started falling apart within 2 years (the Big Dig).

Air and water quality is a concern. Where I live now, if nothing else, has excellent water, and the air quality is very good, too, even on hot and humid summer days. I understand the Ohio River valley can get rather nasty at times.

Along with that is the parks system. A technology career is a rather sedentary one, though I try to remain quite active, so having places both in and around the metro area (including out in the country) where one can take a leisurely bicycle ride is important to me. I am more of a country dweller, so while living right in the city isn't out of the question, the preference is for a more rural setting that allows relatively easy access to the city (less than 30 minute commute would be ideal).

The public school system is not of pressing concern for me, as I have no children. I would like to live in a city that has a good college/university, however.

Thank you for all of your help, and I will be researching all of the older posts in the meantime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 11:41 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
well, Louisville is a much smaller city than Boston so I wouldnt worry about junk development, crime, or traffic. Louisville has a few really good universities and a handfulk of smaller ones. I really think you would love living in the city (bc its really not a huge city). But alas, you want a country lifestyle? The good news is you can get it VERY easily here and be almost anywhere in the city in less than 30 minutes. Louisville is growing but it is not growing unwisely. In fact, much of the development is in the urban and downtown core where dense development can easily be handled. Louisville is renowned for its parks system, so you dont have to worry about that.

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroParks/ offers info on the city's 123 parks, plus the new initiative to add a 100 mile green loop of parks and recreation trails around the city beyond the outer beltway! Louisville is located in a lush area of green rollig hills and deciduous tress, so you should like that. It does get hot in the summer and the air can get stagnant yes, but I believe it is fairly clean. Again, the city is nowhere near as big as Boston. In the NE, I would compare Louisville more to Hartford but of course its a bit more prgressive and cooler here IMO.

You seem savvy. read about Louisville on wikipedia.org for a great intro. Our city website is excellent: http://www.louisvilleky.gov/ and informative.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Post Thanks!!

Thanks for the links - from what I've seen, the city web page offers a lot of good information.

I've got time to do the research, fortunately.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Public Transport

I was wondering, also, if anybody had any experience with the public transportation in Louisville - is it a good alternative to driving into the city (ie - is there a "Park & Ride" system?) and is it relatively on-time?

Thanks again!

Old 03-14-2007, 09:14 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,129 times
I cannot speak for 'relatively on time' - I sure hope so! But the sytem is called 'TARC' the Transit Authority of River City.

http://www.ridetarc.org/ - this website will get you there, and should give you contact info - spots to park and ride, and the routes, times, etc. - along with cost and year round pricing.

They are everywhere - I would think you would not have much trouble!

Kimmiey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: