U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 624,533 times
Listen to Stx on this--the infield can be WILD!! It was totally my scene in my younger, wilder days--think pouring rain + alcohol = gigantic mudslide in full clothing! fun, but not my thing anymore; nowdays I'm more the get-dressed-up-and-most-likely-head-for-the-paddock, because I now I have no chance of getting a decent seat anywhere else! hell even from the infield you only have at best 50/50 chance of getting close enough to the rails to see the track; there will be HUGE masses of people everywhere!

Also, don't even consider driving, unless you really enjoy high blood pressure and walking walking walking in what can be incredibly humid weather. I strongly advise some form of public transport.

And in mentioning the humidity--dress appropriately, where ever you intend to go. If you are headed for the dressier areas, wear natural fibers as they breath better (no synthetics and gor gawds sake, no leather/pleather/vinyl/PVC etc--there is always some chick (or guy!) running around in something like that and she/he looks like a water fountain! lol

unless of course you enjoy sweating profusely and flat wet hair! lol

But wherever, and however, you choose to be at the Derby, do have fun. Everyone should go at least once in their life!

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 08:20 PM

68 posts, read 141,868 times
1) If you can find tix for $100 that offer an actual seat, grab them, but the only seats such as that will be in the new infield "club". A Glorified hospitality tent in the infield.

2) So far, they have not (and have proposed not to) raise the tickets for the infield/general admission and are still $40/each.

3) As already mentioned, infield/general admission tix will only allow you access to the infield and to the paddock areas (including betting windows and the like). The ONLY way to see the track from that point is to go INTO the infield and even then, you'll only see a swish of a tail as the horses pass on the 1st or far turn.

4) The paddock area (still general admission and STILL allows for infield entrance) is (in my opinion) the best place to cheaply go for Derby. It allows for "hobknobbing" with the well to do/nicely dressed without them even knowing you can't go further than seeing the horses and a few nearby vendors/betting windows. The ONLY reason I do not like it is because there is no way (other than the aforementioned entry to the infield) to see the track/any race. Everything will, however, be available on the various tv's scattered around the paddock.
Here, your wife would fit in quite nicely in a dress & hat.

5) Most prices for grandstand seating start at $300+ but generally run closer to $500-$1000/EACH. Depends on how and where you get the tickets, however. I would be leery of any broker only bc I've seen infield tix and infield club tix going for much higher than they are selling here, so I'd assume they would also make the other tix much higher as well.

6) Places to stay are inarguably the most difficult to garner. Other than what has already been suggested, I would put an ad on Craigslist or in the local paper--The Courier-Journal (www.courier-journal.com) for lodging. We live(d) near the track (6 blocks) and rented out 2 rooms in our house for out of town guests. Cheaply I might add.... $100/night. (if our house does not sell by April, we'll probably be offering housing again, but we're hoping....)

7) Getting in isn't that bad but there are a few things to remember that nobody (that I read) has mentioned.
There are specific things not allowed into Churchill Downs. The #1 being umbrellas. You can bring rain gear or buy them in the gift shop.
ANYthing you bring in must be in a clear plastic bag. NO drinks are allowed-unless it is unopened, and non alcoholic-this might have actually changed, since I do not believe ANY drinks are allowed but you can check by calling the track. (502-636-4400-they actually answer the phone 24/7, I just called to make sure the # was right and they answered it!)
Prices AT the track for food/drinks on Derby day are outrageous. A Mint Julep last year (in a Derby glass) was $9.50. And if you've never had one, you must try them. Make sure to crush the mint int he bottom of the glass...very yummy! Popcorn was $5 for a small popcorn. I think a hotdog was $3 for just one dog but can't really remember.

I've been to Derby-in the infield-twice. I've been to the Grandstands once. I've worked on Millionaire's Row the last 5 years. I got married at the track (Garden area by the Derby Museum) and this year, we're going to Derby but are not spending the $$ for the grandstands, instead are just paying the $40 general admin prices. All the tix I've seen for the grandstands are in the final turn and in my opinion, those are the worst seats...Obviously better than gen admin & infield but also not the price. Get what you pay for, however, but if you're already paying for lodging, parking, food, drinks, etc....I'd stick with the $40 tix.

As for parking, The Fairgrounds always offers a shuttle. IF they do not offer it, Papa John's stadium offers parking for $10 and the walk is only about 2 blocks from the track. If you stay in someone's home, see if they will offer to drive you to/from the track-or if you stay relatively close, get a taxi. Might have to wait a while, but it's not that bad.

If you need any assistance or would like more info from a huge Derby fan or would even like to make friends with someone else who is going to the Paddock.... send me a private message and we can all talk. This will be my husband's first time going.

Ok, I've probably written more than allowed!! LOL

Old 02-08-2009, 05:00 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 624,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Bound View Post
1)
7) Getting in isn't that bad but there are a few things to remember that nobody (that I read) has mentioned.
There are specific things not allowed into Churchill Downs. The #1 being umbrellas. You can bring rain gear or buy them in the gift shop.
ANYthing you bring in must be in a clear plastic bag. NO drinks are allowed-unless it is unopened, and non alcoholic-this might have actually changed, since I do not believe ANY drinks are allowed but you can check by calling the track. (502-636-4400-they actually answer the phone 24/7, I just called to make sure the # was right and they answered it!)
Prices AT the track for food/drinks on Derby day are outrageous. A Mint Julep last year (in a Derby glass) was $9.50. And if you've never had one, you must try them. Make sure to crush the mint int he bottom of the glass...very yummy! Popcorn was $5 for a small popcorn. I think a hotdog was $3 for just one dog but can't really remember.

Wyoming is right--booze is absolutely forbidden to be brought in. don't even think you can get clever and sneak it. From memory, they pat you down; if you think you can bake a bottle of Jack Daniels or whatever into a cake, forget it--they will break the cake apart to look. They will not let you bring any kind of liquid in, in a thermos or bottle with a screw on lid; no sports bottles. I'm not even sure you're allowed to bring your own canned soft drinks. They pretty much want you to have to buy everything from the vendors, and that is not cheap.

Also, no umbrellas--they can be used as weapons. nothing that can even be misconstured as a weapon will be allowed in.
Security will go through your gals handbag (they always did go through our bags and coolers).
Since it's been a while since i've been, I would assume that security is a lot higher than it used to be, and I would not be at all surprised if they were not using those paddle things like at the airports. You just never know nowdays.....

And by all means, you MUST try a Mint Julep--I personally do not care for them, but it is a traditional drink at Derby, and I will have one anyway--just because! (I'm a sucker for traditions and anything tourist-y...) Who knows? You may find that you LOVE them, as a LOT of people do. Depends on what kind of liquor you like.

anyway, good luck and I hope you really enjoy your Derny adventure!

Cheers!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:19 PM

68 posts, read 141,868 times
You can also check out www.churchilldowns.com for more info!

Food in clear plastic tote or bag. Small tv's and radios but no boombox types. Binoculars ok. Purses & Baby bags are ok but subject to search. Strollers-with a baby ONLY. Re-entry allowed/seat cushions with no backs, chairs are ok but only thru Gate 3. Blankets (gate 1 or 3). Tarps (gates 1 & 3).

CANNOT BRING:
weapons of any kind or anything portrayed as a weapon including umbrellas of any kind.
no bottles or cans of any kind. no lotion but are allowing sunscreen. no drinks of any kind. no alcohol, coolers or thermoses. no grills. no backpack, luggage or duffel bags. no wagons.

This info is straight from Churchill Downs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area