U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 967,657 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious about this; whenever I come home, it seems that we're now looked upon as "exotic", which blows me away. I guess because I've always lived in very multi-cultural areas in Australia.

I am looking to come home for another visit in August (KY STATE FAIR!!!! Last one I went to was 2002, right before I immigrated......) and thought it might be good fun to meet up with some transplanted Aussies and have a drink and yarn about things.

If you know anyone, or are Aussie yourself, speak up!

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 03:07 PM

6,297 posts, read 13,189,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
I'm just curious about this; whenever I come home, it seems that we're now looked upon as "exotic", which blows me away. I guess because I've always lived in very multi-cultural areas in Australia.

I am looking to come home for another visit in August (KY STATE FAIR!!!! Last one I went to was 2002, right before I immigrated......) and thought it might be good fun to meet up with some transplanted Aussies and have a drink and yarn about things.

If you know anyone, or are Aussie yourself, speak up!

Cheers!
Well, there are about 10 people from Louisville who post on this board. There are several more who claim to have lived here in the past, but based on a slew of recent negative comments and the fact that they all signed up around the same time simply to post negatively about the city, I assume them to be the same one or two people with multiple accounts (again nothing I can prove since they all have different IP addresses). So that makes 11-12 people. And why I am sure our board sees hundreds of lurkers daily, this thread will likely get less than 200 views.

What does that diatribe mean? Well, it is unlikely you will find an Aussie on this board, but I know there are some around the city/metro area of 1.3 million. Where to find them? That I don't know! We don't have any Australian restaurants that I know of, so I don't know if I can help you

Old 01-10-2009, 11:25 PM

thanks for the reply Stx! yeah, i've noticed there is a lot of negativity regarding Louisville, but I think that people tend to be too quick to judge (myself included in that!). Still, folks need a place to vent, and if they don't have any friends, then I suppose the internet is the next best place!

In regard to the Australia query--well I personally don't include the Outback Steakhouse either! My husband saw an add on the tele about it while we were there and just sure that he'd find things on the menu that were exactly what he gets here at home. He was surprised and I think a little disappointed to find that it was just American food with quasi-Aussie names! It was still nice though, and we had a number of waiters and waitresses come over to hear him talk when we finally convinced our waiter that my husband wasn't pulling his leg.

Ah well--maybe I'll get lucky and some Aussie's will be trolling the boards and come across my thread. I'll give it a bump from time to time just to keep it floating.

Cheers!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:09 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,565,463 times
Quote:
thanks for the reply Stx! yeah, i've noticed there is a lot of negativity regarding Louisville, but I think that people tend to be too quick to judge (myself included in that!). Still, folks need a place to vent, and if they don't have any friends, then I suppose the internet is the next best place!

In regard to the Australia query--well I personally don't include the Outback Steakhouse either! My husband saw an add on the tele about it while we were there and just sure that he'd find things on the menu that were exactly what he gets here at home. He was surprised and I think a little disappointed to find that it was just American food with quasi-Aussie names! It was still nice though, and we had a number of waiters and waitresses come over to hear him talk when we finally convinced our waiter that my husband wasn't pulling his leg.

Ah well--maybe I'll get lucky and some Aussie's will be trolling the boards and come across my thread. I'll give it a bump from time to time just to keep it floating.

Cheers!
That's like the Irish restaurants here. My husband is from Dublin, Ireland and some of the things that are called "Irish" are really English.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:23 AM

yep, that sounds about right! lol

You know, not knocking my fellow americans (never ) but I think that Americans tend to just take it for truth whatever they're told about another country/societ--until they've actually been there. So like, any American that's never been to say Australia, or doesn't know anyone who IS Australian, automatically assumes that whatever Outback has on their menu is in fact "fair dinkum"--that it is authentic Aussie classics!
Same with Mexican food; if you suggest going out for Mexican food, probably the first thing people think is Taco Bell, or Tumbleweed (also Chi Chi's back in the day). Now there is nothing wrong with any of the food in these establishments (none at all and God knows I love me some Texas Nachos!! ), but they are all Americanised versions of Mexican cuisine.
Many authentic Mexican dishes are actually quite bland, and they do not use ground beef--it's mostly shredded, (or "pulled"), or cut into small chunks/bits; I didn't see a single dollop of sour cream that whole week!. I myself was completely blown away when I went to Tijuana--and that is a very Americanised part of Mexico--I was expecting everything to be pretty much like what I'd been eating for years. At the time I was actually quite disappointed, but now, I have a new appreciation for these differences.

anyway, where was I going with this??

Oh yeah--I think (from doing it myself!) that most Americans are too quick to just accept that anything in print is the absolute truth. Be it news, or menus!

Cheers!

Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,680 times
Smile Aussies in Louisville

Actually, there are a few Aussies in Louisville, including myself! I am originally from Melbourne, and live here with my wife, who is American. We would love to catch up for beers or dinner with any Aussies in town and share what we know about the place - you can email me at brenton.parsons@gmail.com if you guys want to get together.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbakz View Post
Actually, there are a few Aussies in Louisville, including myself! I am originally from Melbourne, and live here with my wife, who is American. We would love to catch up for beers or dinner with any Aussies in town and share what we know about the place - you can email me at brenton.parsons@gmail.com if you guys want to get together.
Hi Brenton!

Great to hear from some Aussies that have made a home-away-from-home in Louisville.

My husband is from a small farming community about 2 hours s/e of Melbourne, but many of our friends and rellies live in Melbourne and it's suburbs.

We weren't able to make our trip to Lou in August, but are definately coming in October. It would be great to get together. A group of us should get together and go to The Outback Steakhouse as an bit of a laugh.

Are you and any expats available in October?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,680 times
Quote:
Hi Brenton!

Great to hear from some Aussies that have made a home-away-from-home in Louisville.

My husband is from a small farming community about 2 hours s/e of Melbourne, but many of our friends and rellies live in Melbourne and it's suburbs.

We weren't able to make our trip to Lou in August, but are definately coming in October. It would be great to get together. A group of us should get together and go to The Outback Steakhouse as an bit of a laugh.

Are you and any expats available in October?

That sounds great! My wife and I will definitely be available, and there is an Aussie girl that I know from Brisbane (poor thing! lol) who would be, too. There are Aussies all over the place here - in fact, there is even an Aussie Rules team, the Louisville Kings. We are shopping for a house, and the real estate agent at our last showing was even an Aussie!

I have tried to avoid the Outback Steakhouse, but I could make an exception for a fellow Aussie or two! I guess you have to take it in stride and have a laugh about how schlocky the whole idea is.

Don't let the board posts fool you, either - Louisville has tons of nightlife, a great arts scene, good coffee (not Melbourne good, but good nonetheless), a fantastic university, and a lot of desirable neighborhoods. It has rough spots, but nothing too bad.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbakz View Post
That sounds great! My wife and I will definitely be available, and there is an Aussie girl that I know from Brisbane (poor thing! lol) who would be, too. There are Aussies all over the place here - in fact, there is even an Aussie Rules team, the Louisville Kings. We are shopping for a house, and the real estate agent at our last showing was even an Aussie!

I have tried to avoid the Outback Steakhouse, but I could make an exception for a fellow Aussie or two! I guess you have to take it in stride and have a laugh about how schlocky the whole idea is.

Don't let the board posts fool you, either - Louisville has tons of nightlife, a great arts scene, good coffee (not Melbourne good, but good nonetheless), a fantastic university, and a lot of desirable neighborhoods. It has rough spots, but nothing too bad.
Well, get in touch with Brissie (poor thing..."we: can't all be from the great state of Vic...) and the others and we'll organise a night out.

I had no idea there were that many Aussie in Louisville, comparitively speaking! Awesome that they have an Aussie rules footy team (is there like a mini league?)

I suggested the Outback, because it's sooooo not Aussie, soooo very schlocky....it would be good to take the pi$$ out of it; for a group of Aussies to go there is almost an irony! My husband enjoyed it but there was a lot of eye rolling and what not. Don't get me wrong--the food is really good (well it was in 2004...), nothing wrong with that, it's just that, conceptually it's so stereotyped, that it's hilarious. Of course, hubby and I are open to any place; we're not partial.

The one thing hubby doesn't like about our trips to the US is the lack of "good coffee". He doesn't like the instant coffee there, so I bring a couple of jars of Moconna for home, and he doesn't mind coffee from places like....Starbucks. Hates McDonalds coffee in the US!
Me? I just can't tell the difference, but I'm more a tea drinker anyway.

We for sure won't be able to attend any get togethers before 11th October; after that, we're flexible.

This is great! It will be good to meet and make friends with some fellow Aussies; it gives my husband more ties to the States than just his inlaws!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,323 times
Aussies in Louisville!!!! You gotta be pulling my leg!!! I thought I was the only one!!!!
I went to the Outback S-House once as a joke - The server thought i had a lovely GERMAN accent.

Anyways - sign me up for an October extravaganza - I also have my relatives coming here from Melbourne with the kids for Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area