Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,354 times

Advertisements

I am a building contractor who currently lives in northern WI. Winter is about 6 months out of the year up here, making it harder to work all winter long. (the past two years i have laid off 2/3 of my crew)
Now i know it isn't fair to ask with the "slowing" economy and all, but i was wondering if anyone had any information on how the construction industry is in the area. We do mostly custom homes, and some light comercial work, and lots of concrete.

My wife is a nures, we would like to live near a hospital with a great reputation. We don't have any kids, and like the rural feeling. Plus we need plenty of room for equipment.

I know its a little vauge, but any information on a good location, and the industry would be great. We are planning a to take a trip to some areas that sound promising, just to get a better feel for things.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 12:52 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,732,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55hclip View Post
I am a building contractor who currently lives in northern WI. Winter is about 6 months out of the year up here, making it harder to work all winter long. (the past two years i have laid off 2/3 of my crew)
Now i know it isn't fair to ask with the "slowing" economy and all, but i was wondering if anyone had any information on how the construction industry is in the area. We do mostly custom homes, and some light comercial work, and lots of concrete.

My wife is a nures, we would like to live near a hospital with a great reputation. We don't have any kids, and like the rural feeling. Plus we need plenty of room for equipment.

I know its a little vauge, but any information on a good location, and the industry would be great. We are planning a to take a trip to some areas that sound promising, just to get a better feel for things.

Thanks

Louisville is a very stable market housing wise compared to the rest of the nation. Like everywhere else, building permits are way down, but not as bad as any of the coasts. I assume its better than WI due to higher growth rates (almost anywhere in the south is). Louisville has four distinct seasons, and probbaly only 2 months that would slow you down as a builder, if that. This year we have had a rough couple of weeks, but that is a rare occurence.

The medical industry is booming in Louisville and your wife will have her choice of jobs with excellent pay and benefits. If you want rural, you will like Oldham County. Do you have kids? Oldham is rural/sububan but lots of nice developments. Baptist Hospital Northeast in Lagrange is a wonderful hospital to work for. Further in, in the NE suburbs of Louisville along I-265, Norton is building a new hospital that looks very nice to be open this year. Baptist is another major health player that built a plush new facility along I-265 among its others, and Jewish owns and operates several hospitals thruought the metro and will also construct a new hospital along I-265 soon. There is also University of Louisville healthcare, and the VA health system. Between those five health systems, they own about 20 full service hospitals in metro Louisville. Louisville is known nationally in the healthcare field for performing the first US hand transplant, implanting the first artificial heart, and inventing the life saving Gardasil vaccine, which protects against HPV and cervical cancer, among many other accomplishments.

Overall, this will be an excellent move for your wife, and a good move for you as well, but the housing market is not grand here either. Houses are not depreciating at all though, like they are through most of the country. Also, the custom built home market is very strong in Louisville, with a few major players, and lots of new developments all over, especially in eastern and northeastern Jefferson County and Oldham County.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:58 PM

4 posts, read 7,461 times
Hello, the housing market in Louisville stays stable...no big ups or downs. And the medical field is unbelievable...what type of nurse is she? I have contacts with many doctors and they are always looking for new hires.

Last edited by Peter1948; 02-18-2009 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: ad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area