Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 PM

87 posts, read 217,080 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a fairly modern style home in these three areas as they seem to provide the most wooded acreage. Are we looking in the wrong place? The homes seem spread out and are not the "McMansions" that consume most sub-divisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enofile View Post
We are looking to buy a fairly modern style home in these three areas as they seem to provide the most wooded acreage. Are we looking in the wrong place? The homes seem spread out and are not the "McMansions" that consume most sub-divisions.
These are among the wealthiest zip codes in KY, and even, in the nation. So them, along with Anchorage, would be the spots to look for that lifestyle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest..._United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mocking...lley,_Kentucky

Right behind it is nearby Glenview, which is full of phenomonal wealth, and is also one of the 100 richest communities in the US. No where else in KY comes close to these two cities, which are subsets of Louisville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenview,_Kentucky

The two aforementioned communities are so exclusive that many locals do not even know of their immense wealth. Sitting on hills overlooking the Ohio River, many of the area homes were built in the early 1900's by Louisville's wealthiest families, and this is truly inherited estate mansions.

Other extremely wealth areas are Prospect, Anchorage, and Indian Hills, all suburbs of Louisville.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:53 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
mockingbird valley is your best bet. prospect has a lot of mcmansion looking houses and is just a more upscale suburb. i wouldnt recommend it, its over priced. mockingbird valley has more traditional southern style houses, with big front porches, brick, and some sprawling ranches. There are a lot of southern colonial style houses too. are you looking for an architecturally modern house as in the style, or you just want it new? it might be difficult finding both in mockingbird, but more so if you are looking for the style of the house to be modern. a lot of the houses have been remodeled, so they have new home amenities in the shell of a older home. another place i would suggest looking is anchorage. most homes are on at least an acre and the whole town is under a dense canopy of trees, so most likely you will have a wooded lot. there are more newer homes there, but they arent the mcmansion type you are talking about, they are all custom made, and are all luxury homes, most are one of a kind. i like anchorage because it is very secluded. here is an example of a newer home in anchorage. http://www.homes.com/Content/Listing...ropId=80767843 anchorage is very high priced, but i dont think it is over priced for what kind of house you can get there.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:33 AM

11 posts, read 25,199 times
I'd say that you are looking in the right place if you are seeking to have an upscale modern home with a large wooded lot. Depending upon your personal goals I feel as though you could find a new and modern home in any of the above areas. As I have stated before in these forums, I would advise to discuss your overall plans, goals, desires, wants and luxuries to a local Realtor and let them do the leg work for you. Have you contacted a Realtor?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Thank you for your response. I guess I wasn't too clear in my message. We are just two middle aged folks who have just moved to Louisville from Milwaukee. We are looking for a "California modern" house on some wooded acres. It doesn't have to be big or exclusive. However, we want something unique and different which we can fill with modern or mid century modern furniture. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
This might be more difficult as Louisville isnt a real center for MCM. There was a flurry of this in the 1950s when the Bay Region Style was influencing things, but it faded quick. You will see more MCM up here in Ohio than in Kentucky (Dayton has a real good collection of houses in this style, including one designed by Walter Groupius and TAC).

I know Glenview has some modernist architect-designed houses sitting amidst the estates. I seem to recall Seneca Gardens had some MCM, too, closer to Cherokee Park. There is a subdivision near Seneca Park along Beargrass Creek that has some early 1950s tract-house modern things, maybe a cut above generic ranch stuff.

I think I saw some on Tophill Road, off Grinstead across from Barret Jr High (or whatever that school is called).

There might be some in Fern Creek too.

I know of a few in SW County, up in the hills off of St Andrews Church Road, Iroquois Park/Kenwood Hill, and in the older parts of Windsor Forest. These are really tract houses but they are done in modern style.

For acreage you will have to look close as there might be gems hidden away on some big lots (what you are looking for). To say that any one area is a concentration...well, I dont think there are any specific areas.

I am not that famiilar with Mockingbird Valley and Indian Hills, but from what I recall the architecture there are good versions of various revival styles.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:22 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enofile View Post
Thank you for your response. I guess I wasn't too clear in my message. We are just two middle aged folks who have just moved to Louisville from Milwaukee. We are looking for a "California modern" house on some wooded acres. It doesn't have to be big or exclusive. However, we want something unique and different which we can fill with modern or mid century modern furniture. Thanks.
Ok. That helps. What price range? That can guide me more. I would also disagree that there are not alot of California modern houses in Louisville. Thery are certainly not concentrated as in Kettering, OH, but there are substantially more in Louisville than I ever saw in Dayton.

Louisville has pretty much every type of house type thinkable. The standard working class home is the shotgun and camelback shotgun in the older urban areas. There are highrises, three flats, lofts, and mini california style 60's apartment complex infill. The urban vernacular also consists of various revival styles, as noted, with a large and impressive clusters of Victorians, both wood frame and red brick. As you span out into the inner ring suburbs: Kenwood Hill, PRP, Beechmont, Buechel, Hikes Point, St Regis Park, Lyndon, Northwood, etc, you start to see of more of the California ranch. After that you get into the typical Midwest/Midsouth vinyl and brick looking subdivisions. The same can be said of the Indiana burbs. New Albany, Jeffersonville, and Clarksville all have a nice array of modern california style brick ranches for very cheap. The problem in Louisville is that these types of homes are rarely found on wooded acres.

Your best chance is actually the areas around Cherokee and Seneca Park. although this area is mostly historic, classical homes from the turn of the 20th century, there are some nice 50's area modern style homes in spots built on wooded lots. Your best bet here is to enlist a realtor for something so very specific. If you can provide me with a narrow price range, acreage wanted, and post a picture of a style of home you are looking for, I can much better assist.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:14 AM

11 posts, read 25,199 times
I agree with Stx12499 on the notion that it would be valuable to know the price point you are seeking to purchase-- This could make a tremendous difference in our assistance in your goals. Although "california contemporary" homes are not as popular here in Greater Louisville, you may be able to find that needle in the haystack. Enlisting a Realtor in your search will be your best key. In addition, have you though about possibly building? A realtor could assist in both of these facets. If you describe your price point I will be more than happy to search a few homes out for you. Thanks so much and I hope that helps!
Mary Mattingly

Old 01-21-2009, 01:02 PM

Thank you so much for your help. Our price range is around $500,000 to $800,000. I will enlist the aid of a realtor eventually. However, it has been my experience that any realtor needs specific direction or else you end up with a cookie cutter home. Thanks again

Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 PM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times
Is this anything like what you're talking about? Price is much higher than what you listed, but the house is quite striking.

PROSPECT Real Estate - - 11602 CHAPEL HILL RD, PROSPECT, KY, 40059 (http://louisville.thinkrealtygroup.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MlsNumber=1126191&PRM_MLSName=Lou isvilleKY - broken link)

Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area