U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:11 AM

6,296 posts, read 13,182,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence425 View Post
i respect your knowledge of the area censusdata, but your comment about "1 acre lots on disconnected cul de sacs" is a bit misleading. sure, those can be found, but that's not the case all of the time. i have a crestwood mailing address, and none of the homes around me even approach 1 acre, and we definitely aren't on disconnected cul de sacs. i will agree though that even in neighborhoods like mine, the feel is more rural than urban. don't, however, take that to mean the we are disconnected from urban life...i'm five minutes from the summit, and 15 minutes from malls and various other shopping along shelbyville.

i'd recommend a trip to Louisville to scout the areas...that helped me a lot in finding the place i wanted to live.
The Summit is far from "urban." The only areas that can be passed as remotely urban are inside I-264. The Summit is very suburban. Oldham is suburban, then exurban, then rural, as you head further out. Crestwood is really not all culdesecs at all. It has many long neighborhood streets that look something like anchorage with much smaller houses, or else possibly Lyndon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 04:36 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 967,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepax View Post
Hi, all. My current job is disappearing, and I seriously might be coming to Louisville to work at Humana, right downtown in Louisville, KY. I need help!

I currently live in a small town near Salt Lake City, Utah. I've never lived east of here, actually (I'm from near Los Angeles, CA). I'm married and have 3 very small children - oldest will start Kindergarten in the fall of 2009. I need to know where to start looking for places to live!

I'd like a nice, family-oriented, safe neighborhood. But I'm not wealthy - when we eventually buy a house, it'll need to be less than 200K for sure, preferably less than $175K or even less. I currently have a 30 minute commute, but I'd love to be able to just take the bus to downtown (maybe with my bike on the bus to get from my house to the bus stop, and from the bus stop to work...). I need the area to have good public schools for my kids.

Also, you might guess that coming from Salt Lake City, we are a Mormon family (LDS). Are there any Mormons on the board here who can tell me what the demographics are in the wards out there? I know there is a Mormon Temple in Crestwood - that's probably a pricey area to live, yeah?

Whatever help you can give me would be great. We simply aren't a midwest/south family, but we're willing to give it a shot if it means having a job in this tough economy!
Hi Stevepax,

I agree--jobs are very hard to come by, and sometime it calls for some hard decisions. But Greater Louisville is a nice family area; give it a litte time and I think you will like it.

I do agree with some others here about not bothering with southern Indiana--there is quite a lot of drug related activity in Clarksville/Jeffersonville area, to a lesser degree in New Albany.

In regard to the Church of JCLDS, I'm not Mormon, but have some relatives and family friends that are; I can give you some locations --(although you've probably already researched that!):
Eastern Pkwy
Hurstbourne Pkwy
Hwy 22, Crestwood (actually you mentioned that one....)
So. 32nd Street (west end, actually have never been to this one....)
and if you're desperate to attend services
Hwy 403 in Charlestown IN
Slate Run Road, New Albany IN

From the sounds of your budget you will have little trouble finding a nice house, in a nice neighbourhood. Like someone else said, $175,000 goes a lo-o-o-ng way in Louisville!

Also, I know some people who work at Humana; they are all happy there--well they say they are! I don't question that. They seem satisfied.

Research the schools in the areas you are looking to buy; don't take everything by face value either.

In regard to watering your lawn, Louisville is absolutely nothing like SLC; you may have to break out a standard garden sprinkler a few times in the summer, but in general, you get enough rain to take care of it. Our "blue grass" is fairly hardy; it grows well in a variety of settings.

Louisville is a great family-oriented city; there are always plenty of activities and things to do, places to take the kids. don't forget to check out some nearby areas as well (Bardstown, and further south the Bowling Green area for Horse Cave etc)

Good luck to you; if you do relocate to Louisville, be sure to let us all know how you're going and what you think so far! (even though i don't live in Louisville anymore, I'm still a 'villian at heart!)

Cheers!

Old 01-23-2009, 05:14 AM

87 posts, read 235,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
The Summit is far from "urban." The only areas that can be passed as remotely urban are inside I-264. The Summit is very suburban. Oldham is suburban, then exurban, then rural, as you head further out. Crestwood is really not all culdesecs at all. It has many long neighborhood streets that look something like anchorage with much smaller houses, or else possibly Lyndon.
you're correct of course. i didn't mean to imply that the summit was truly urban. what i meant was that crestwood isn't strictly rural, that it is close enough to some of the ammenities (shopping, restaurants, etc.) of urban life to satisfy many people.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:30 AM

22 posts, read 89,607 times
Thanks, everyone! This information is very helpful.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:31 AM

264 posts, read 752,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Hi Stevepax,

I agree--jobs are very hard to come by, and sometime it calls for some hard decisions. But Greater Louisville is a nice family area; give it a litte time and I think you will like it.

I do agree with some others here about not bothering with southern Indiana--there is quite a lot of drug related activity in Clarksville/Jeffersonville area, to a lesser degree in New Albany.

In regard to the Church of JCLDS, I'm not Mormon, but have some relatives and family friends that are; I can give you some locations --(although you've probably already researched that!):
Eastern Pkwy
Hurstbourne Pkwy
Hwy 22, Crestwood (actually you mentioned that one....)
So. 32nd Street (west end, actually have never been to this one....)
and if you're desperate to attend services
Hwy 403 in Charlestown IN
Slate Run Road, New Albany IN

From the sounds of your budget you will have little trouble finding a nice house, in a nice neighbourhood. Like someone else said, $175,000 goes a lo-o-o-ng way in Louisville!

Also, I know some people who work at Humana; they are all happy there--well they say they are! I don't question that. They seem satisfied.

Research the schools in the areas you are looking to buy; don't take everything by face value either.

In regard to watering your lawn, Louisville is absolutely nothing like SLC; you may have to break out a standard garden sprinkler a few times in the summer, but in general, you get enough rain to take care of it. Our "blue grass" is fairly hardy; it grows well in a variety of settings.

Louisville is a great family-oriented city; there are always plenty of activities and things to do, places to take the kids. don't forget to check out some nearby areas as well (Bardstown, and further south the Bowling Green area for Horse Cave etc)

Good luck to you; if you do relocate to Louisville, be sure to let us all know how you're going and what you think so far! (even though i don't live in Louisville anymore, I'm still a 'villian at heart!)

Cheers!
Question, I will be in Louisville for 3 weeks soon, can you tell me what LDS meetinghouse in closest to the Hyatt downtown ? thanks !

Old 01-23-2009, 03:39 PM

9,585 posts, read 20,468,292 times
Compared to the counties outside Lexington Oldham Co is very rural. In all of OC (population 60,000) there is 1 Kroger, 2 McDonalds, with NO other major retailers. In Jessamine County (population 45,000) there are 3 Krogers, 4 McDonalds, 1 Kohls, 1 Steak N Shake/ Panera Bread/ Red Robin/ Applesbees, and a Sam's Club and Cracker Barrel are under construction.

Don't get me wrong, Oldham Co is a very nice area - I'd take it over Jessamine Co myself, I just think it can't be described as anything other than rural/ exurban

Old 01-24-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
Question, I will be in Louisville for 3 weeks soon, can you tell me what LDS meetinghouse in closest to the Hyatt downtown ? thanks !

Hi runnerguy45,

Of the ones that I've been to, or know of, South 32nd Street is probably the closest, but after that I'd say Slate Run Road in New Albany or Hwy 403 in Charlestown would be the next closest......I haven't looked up the distances though, so I'm just going on memory of how long it take to get to each place from my local area (including how long it takes to get to the downtown Hyatt.)

Cheers!

Old 01-24-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Compared to the counties outside Lexington Oldham Co is very rural. In all of OC (population 60,000) there is 1 Kroger, 2 McDonalds, with NO other major retailers. In Jessamine County (population 45,000) there are 3 Krogers, 4 McDonalds, 1 Kohls, 1 Steak N Shake/ Panera Bread/ Red Robin/ Applesbees, and a Sam's Club and Cracker Barrel are under construction.

Don't get me wrong, Oldham Co is a very nice area - I'd take it over Jessamine Co myself, I just think it can't be described as anything other than rural/ exurban

census,

I still think of OC as rural too--maybe I should refer to it as semi-rural now though.
and JC should be referred to as quasi-rural IMO, since it's starting to bloom (no play on words!)

Old 01-24-2009, 12:57 PM

6,296 posts, read 13,182,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
The closest one is likely the one listed in the West End. However, the West End can be a less than desirable area due to crime. There is not much reason to go west of 9th street. That said, the locations on Eastern Parkway, and Slate Run Rd in New Albany would be the closest to downtown, both about 10-12 minutes from downtown. You need to get on google maps and take a look at the city! Also, with google street view, you can look at actual pictures of streets without even being there.

While downtown at the Hyatt, you will be close to Fourth Street Live. It is a cool site to see, but not a place for good food and probably not a good place for a traditional Mormon, especially at night. For good food near your hotel, you can walk to Raw or Caviar for Sushi, Jeff Ruby's for steaks, Proof for New American Contemporary, Bistro 301 for casual american bistro, Los Aztecas for Mexican, Saffron's for Persion, and Z's Fusion for a big city style international fusion food. BBC has good pub food, Cunningham's has good fish sandwiches, and Safier has amazing Middle Eastern and Lebanese food. All of these places are within 2-5 blocks walk of your hotel. If you google their names, you will come up with their locations and phone numbers. Be aware that some restaurants downtown in the CBD keep odd hours, so call ahead before you walk to them.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:35 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,559,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
The closest one is likely the one listed in the West End. However, the West End can be a less than desirable area due to crime. There is not much reason to go west of 9th street. That said, the locations on Eastern Parkway, and Slate Run Rd in New Albany would be the closest to downtown, both about 10-12 minutes from downtown. You need to get on google maps and take a look at the city! Also, with google street view, you can look at actual pictures of streets without even being there.

While downtown at the Hyatt, you will be close to Fourth Street Live. It is a cool site to see, but not a place for good food and probably not a good place for a traditional Mormon, especially at night. For good food near your hotel, you can walk to Raw or Caviar for Sushi, Jeff Ruby's for steaks, Proof for New American Contemporary, Bistro 301 for casual american bistro, Los Aztecas for Mexican, Saffron's for Persion, and Z's Fusion for a big city style international fusion food. BBC has good pub food, Cunningham's has good fish sandwiches, and Safier has amazing Middle Eastern and Lebanese food. All of these places are within 2-5 blocks walk of your hotel. If you google their names, you will come up with their locations and phone numbers. Be aware that some restaurants downtown in the CBD keep odd hours, so call ahead before you walk to them.

I have passed by the one on Eastern Parkway several times and that is a very pretty area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area