U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:04 AM

22 posts, read 89,621 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. My current job is disappearing, and I seriously might be coming to Louisville to work at Humana, right downtown in Louisville, KY. I need help!

I currently live in a small town near Salt Lake City, Utah. I've never lived east of here, actually (I'm from near Los Angeles, CA). I'm married and have 3 very small children - oldest will start Kindergarten in the fall of 2009. I need to know where to start looking for places to live!

I'd like a nice, family-oriented, safe neighborhood. But I'm not wealthy - when we eventually buy a house, it'll need to be less than 200K for sure, preferably less than $175K or even less. I currently have a 30 minute commute, but I'd love to be able to just take the bus to downtown (maybe with my bike on the bus to get from my house to the bus stop, and from the bus stop to work...). I need the area to have good public schools for my kids.

Also, you might guess that coming from Salt Lake City, we are a Mormon family (LDS). Are there any Mormons on the board here who can tell me what the demographics are in the wards out there? I know there is a Mormon Temple in Crestwood - that's probably a pricey area to live, yeah?

Whatever help you can give me would be great. We simply aren't a midwest/south family, but we're willing to give it a shot if it means having a job in this tough economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 08:13 AM

Oh yeah - I hear schools, etc, are good in Oldham County, KY. What about southern Indiana? Are there safe neighborhoods there with decent schools for little kids? The commute from places like New Albany or Jeffersonville doesn't look too bad. Maybe like Sellersburg?

Old 01-22-2009, 08:31 AM

23 posts, read 48,534 times
Sorry Stevepax, I have to disagree with you on that! I would avoid So. Indiana altogether! Jeffersonville/Clarksville is terrible. Schools are not great and crime is pretty high there. Sure, cheaper houses...but there's reason for that- it's the pits!

As far as within Jefferson Co, KY, I would check out the east areas of Lyndon and Middletown. Middletown is a decent area (a lot of new apartments/houses/restaurants, etc off Blankenbaker Pkwy). Middletown is also a bit cheaper than the other nice areas of town. Oh, there's also Jeffersontown. "J-town" is nice and a big more spread out. Everything you need is nearby and there are a lot of great restaurants in the area. I live in St. Matthews, which is a great area to live in, but the housing prices are pretty spendy. Apartments aren't bad but I imagine you want a house pretty soon after arriving with the children. Louisville has tons of great events for kids, btw. The zoo does a Halloween trick or treat thing, there are plenty of churches here (although I must be honest, I don't see too many mormons here...or haven't so far). There are many family-oriented festivals and farmers markets throughout the year. In April/May, the city is alive with KY Derby events...also fun for kids. I must tell you, I am also from the west (Ca and AK) and Louisville is a lot cooler/better than I imagined it would be. The only thing that is absolutely TERRIBLE is the heat/humidity in the summer. What I can tell you for the kids though...don't live anywhere in downtown or near downtown. Back to Lyndon, it is a very lovely area, can be a bit on the pricier side too, but there are pockets of very affordable areas there. Please avoid So, Indiana! lol....I know because my husband is from there, grew up there. I am over there all the time visiting his family. I hate that area! I don't care how cheap it is...don't do it! I hope that helps some. I have lived here for a year and a half now. If you have any other questions I can help with, go ahead and message me. Also, for realty websites in the area that have good search engines, I'd go with Freedom Realty. I think their site is Freedom Real Estate of Kentuckiana, but could be wrong. In any case, just google Freedom Realty of Kentuckiana and it should come up. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:34 AM

23 posts, read 48,534 times
Oh, just to elaborate on the crime in So. Indiana, I mean the DRUG problems are bad. Sure, maybe shootings and violent crimes are rare....but a LOT of drug problems. TRUST ME.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:42 AM

9,587 posts, read 20,471,944 times
The good news is $175,000 goes a LONG way in Louisville. That will get you into a lot of really nice areas that are safe and in good school districts. The best neighborhoods and school districts are North of I-64 and West of I-264 extending into Oldham County.

You can check out all these areas with Google Street View
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/11793140.jpg

Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 AM

Wow, North of I-64 and West of I-264 is a pretty large area - lots of places to choose from. I'm just looking at home listings there (thanks to the site that shellbell gave me!) and I see places that look decent in these areas: Pewee Valley, Goshen, Crestwood, and places with a Louisville address that look like they are near Ancorage and Berrytown (just looking at Google Maps here). Are these all pretty decent places? Do they all have developments that are new-ish (like less than 10 years or so)? We aren't really up to renovating an old house, either.

Thanks everyone for your help. You have no idea how nice it is to actually talk to some locals about this.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:59 AM

Oh yeah - another question. Out here in Utah, we live pretty much in a desert climate. So, in the spring/summer/fall, I have to water my lawn constantly to keep it from dying. Do houses in Louisville even have in-ground sprinkler systems, or does it just rain enough mostly to keep stuff growing?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:26 AM

9,587 posts, read 20,471,944 times
The main difference btw Oldham County (places like Crestwood & Pewee Valley) vs Jefferson County is that OC has a very rural feel (mostly large houses w/ 1 acre lots on disconnected cul de sacs) while JC is more of a traditional suburban area with smaller lots and a lot of shopping.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:25 PM

6,297 posts, read 13,185,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepax View Post
Oh yeah - another question. Out here in Utah, we live pretty much in a desert climate. So, in the spring/summer/fall, I have to water my lawn constantly to keep it from dying. Do houses in Louisville even have in-ground sprinkler systems, or does it just rain enough mostly to keep stuff growing?
It normally rains enough. Many higher end homes have them in their yards, but it is a luxury. You also wont find nearly as many pools in backyards as you will in SoCal. I have found that Louisvillians are frugal by nature: it is not uncommon to see a million dollar home with an old honda in the driveway. Dont have a clue about Utah. I do know that you should NEVER stereotype a place or judge it after a short time living there. You can get the general vibe in a couple visits, but it gets tough. I wasnt expecting much out of Utah and then visited Salt lake City and was blown away. Excellent town. Louisville is like SLC in that it affords many big city amenities without the hassles, but culturally they are extremely different. Given your situation, you will like Louisville alot I think, and it is a great place for families. Suburbs across America are the same I promise you. If you are a new house loving, Target shopping, Starbucks drinking person, simply look at those companies locations and live near their locations. The only thing that makes cities different these days are the historic areas, and even those are becoming homogenous. It saddens an urbanite like myself.

Downtown proper is not the best place for families, as it is growing mostly with young professionals and empty nesters, but I would not discount the near in neighborhoods as the above poster claimed. The areas circling around Cherokee Park and Seneca Park are WONDERFUL areas for families and close to the cultural opportunities of a mid major city. Bardstown Road is a gem of a corridor in any city.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:56 PM

87 posts, read 235,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The main difference btw Oldham County (places like Crestwood & Pewee Valley) vs Jefferson County is that OC has a very rural feel (mostly large houses w/ 1 acre lots on disconnected cul de sacs) while JC is more of a traditional suburban area with smaller lots and a lot of shopping.

i respect your knowledge of the area censusdata, but your comment about "1 acre lots on disconnected cul de sacs" is a bit misleading. sure, those can be found, but that's not the case all of the time. i have a crestwood mailing address, and none of the homes around me even approach 1 acre, and we definitely aren't on disconnected cul de sacs. i will agree though that even in neighborhoods like mine, the feel is more rural than urban. don't, however, take that to mean the we are disconnected from urban life...i'm five minutes from the summit, and 15 minutes from malls and various other shopping along shelbyville.

i'd recommend a trip to Louisville to scout the areas...that helped me a lot in finding the place i wanted to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area