U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:59 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,567,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
i think louisville does play itself off to tourists as a "southern belle" city, especially at Churchill Downs. I dont have a problem with that, because Louisville has traditionally and historically been a southern city. By the way, I hate how American Idol made Louisville seem very redneck by playing banjo music throughout the whole show, and by making a big deal about that guy saying "be careful". You could obviously tell he was just trying to be nice, people say that to me all the time, but the judges made it seem like he was threatening them. it makes me mad.
Did you notice that the majority of the contestents weren't even from here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 01:00 PM

6,299 posts, read 13,194,213 times
Quote:
i think louisville does play itself off to tourists as a "southern belle" city, especially at Churchill Downs. I dont have a problem with that, because Louisville has traditionally and historically been a southern city. By the way, I hate how American Idol made Louisville seem very redneck by playing banjo music throughout the whole show, and by making a big deal about that guy saying "be careful". You could obviously tell he was just trying to be nice, people say that to me all the time, but the judges made it seem like he was threatening them. it makes me mad.

So, did American Idol potray Louisville favorably? Or did they make it look like a backwater redneck town? Did they even show the skyline? Local restaurants? Bardstown Rd? Fourth Street? Museums? Nightlife?

Old 01-24-2009, 01:11 PM

Sounds like no. Heres an excellent review:

American Idol Louisville Auditions: A Rant

Its sad people portray Louisville this way, but perhaps thats why people are so surprised at the amount of culture when they move to the city. I could just as easily portray LA for the dump it is in many many parts: crime, illegal immigrants, run down commercial corridors, a largely vacant downtown, little walkabilty, etc. Instead, in LA, they are showing you the OC, the beach towns, Santa Monica, Hollywood (and not west hollywood), pretty people, hi end clubs and restaurants.

I just dont get why they dont do the same in Louisville? Did they even show the skyline? Very few people in the country would be able to identify Louisville with a skyline as large as it is.

Most likely, however, Louisville was the scapegoat for the entire SE, or even Midwest midsized city. They could have done the same thing in Indy at the Speedway, in Nashville at Opryland, or made Birmingham look like a banjo town when it is not.

Last edited by Peter1948; 01-24-2009 at 01:32 PM..

Old 01-24-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post

Its sad people portray Louisville this way, but perhaps thats why people are so surprised at the amount of culture when they move to the city. I could just as easily portray LA for the dump it is in many many parts: crime, illegal immigrants, run down commercial corridors, a largely vacant downtown, little walkabilty, etc. Instead, in LA, they are showing you the OC, the beach towns, Santa Monica, Hollywood (and not west hollywood), pretty people, hi end clubs and restaurants.

I just dont get why they dont do the same in Louisville? Did they even show the skyline? Very few people in the country would be able to identify Louisville with a skyline as large as it is.

Most likely, however, Louisville was the scapegoat for the entire SE, or even Midwest midsized city. They could have done the same thing in Indy at the Speedway, in Nashville at Opryland, or made Birmingham look like a banjo town when it is not.
STX they didn't even show anything but Churchill downs and the played banjo music and roosters crowing

Old 01-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
STX they didn't even show anything but Churchill downs and the played banjo music and roosters crowing
WOW. I may write them an email. Amazing! Even KY's small towns have more going on that roosters crowing and banjos. Hollywood is a joke, and LA is a dump.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:51 PM

666 posts, read 2,204,575 times
Quote:
WOW. I may write them an email. Amazing! Even KY's small towns have more going on that roosters crowing and banjos. Hollywood is a joke, and LA is a dump.
They definitely stereotyped Louisville with Appalachia and the "backwardsness" of the rest of the south. You could definitely tell that is what they were going for, and that is the very reason people get the impressions that Louisville isn't progressive, and we only care about horses and bourbon. They did show a couple shots of the skyline, so I give them credit for that, but overall, it was pretty much a joke.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
They definitely stereotyped Louisville with Appalachia and the "backwardsness" of the rest of the south. You could definitely tell that is what they were going for, and that is the very reason people get the impressions that Louisville isn't progressive, and we only care about horses and bourbon. They did show a couple shots of the skyline, so I give them credit for that, but overall, it was pretty much a joke.
I must have missed the skyline shots but I am very upset about the way we were all portrayed and the fact that they came to our city and barely gave Kentuckians a chance. I wish they would have never came! Mr. Mudd, the man they accused of threatening them, should be issued a public apology as well.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:

I would wager to say that a medium sized Midwest town would be shown with tractors and fields of corn and nothing else. Then again, they seemed to favor Kansas City, Mo though and didn't treat them the way they did us. Maybe they just have something against the South in general.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I would wager to say that a medium sized Midwest town would be shown with tractors and fields of corn and nothing else. Then again, they seemed to favor Kansas City, Mo though and didn't treat them the way they did us. Maybe they just have something against the South in general.
Its odd too, because Louisville has parts every bit as urban as KC. In fact, I dare that crew to come back looking for banjos, horses, and bourbon in the West End....they may get a different surprise! Until recently, Louisville even had a better downtown than KC (and arguably still does), and the reality is KC is not a substantially bigger city. Honestly, I think if Louisville had pro sports it would change the way the city is viewed big time. It sounds dumb, but its so true. I cant complain though, as this city is a gem!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Its odd too, because Louisville has parts every bit as urban as KC. In fact, I dare that crew to come back looking for banjos, horses, and bourbon in the West End....they may get a different surprise! Until recently, Louisville even had a better downtown than KC (and arguably still does), and the reality is KC is not a substantially bigger city. Honestly, I think if Louisville had pro sports it would change the way the city is viewed big time. It sounds dumb, but its so true. I cant complain though, as this city is a gem!
Oh well, American Idol had a chance to showcase a gem and blew it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or