U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving to Kentucky: Louisville, rent a house, housing, university town, great schools.

Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
 
17 posts, read 33,279 times
Reputation: 10
Default Commutes and Houses

If we move to Louisville, my husband will be working at the VA Hospital, and I would love to hear where YOU think we should look for houses.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom house, 1800 square feet or more in the $170,000 -- $225,000 price range.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
20-25 minutes (up to 30, if we HAVE to)

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
Public -- please see my previous post titled "Are Jefferson County schools so bad??" My oldest will be starting kindergarten this fall.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
We currently live in Columbia, MO which is a university town of about 80,000. We have loved living here -- what we love are the diverse, local restaurants (especially of different ethnic origins); plenty of family-friendly activities and parks (so much for FREE is a huge plus); great library; diverse population (international students, refugees, etc.); and just a lot of energy here.

We would love the same atmosphere, but we also would like a yard large enough for our boys to explore -- .4 to .5 of an acre would be ideal but anything larger than .25 like our current house would be great. Our children's education is also very important to us.

-Community amenities important to you
Parks, fitness centers (especially w/ racquetball), close grocery stores and restaurants

I am very interested in the commute time from the following places to the VA (we have mapquested but don't know how to account for traffic):
towns in Oldham County
towns in Southern Indiana
other neighborhoods that we would be interested in based on what I've written above

Also, zip codes of neighborhoods within Louisville would be very helpful in looking for houses online. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 03-03-2009, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,758 posts, read 13,701,841 times
Reputation: 1990
Other than parks there aren't many free things to do here. Sit tight, someone will be on to help you with housing info I'm sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-03-2009, 06:14 PM
 
3,681 posts, read 7,382,284 times
Reputation: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMoMom View Post
If we move to Louisville, my husband will be working at the VA Hospital, and I would love to hear where YOU think we should look for houses.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom house, 1800 square feet or more in the $170,000 -- $225,000 price range.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
20-25 minutes (up to 30, if we HAVE to)

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
Public -- please see my previous post titled "Are Jefferson County schools so bad??" My oldest will be starting kindergarten this fall.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
We currently live in Columbia, MO which is a university town of about 80,000. We have loved living here -- what we love are the diverse, local restaurants (especially of different ethnic origins); plenty of family-friendly activities and parks (so much for FREE is a huge plus); great library; diverse population (international students, refugees, etc.); and just a lot of energy here.

We would love the same atmosphere, but we also would like a yard large enough for our boys to explore -- .4 to .5 of an acre would be ideal but anything larger than .25 like our current house would be great. Our children's education is also very important to us.

-Community amenities important to you
Parks, fitness centers (especially w/ racquetball), close grocery stores and restaurants

I am very interested in the commute time from the following places to the VA (we have mapquested but don't know how to account for traffic):
towns in Oldham County
towns in Southern Indiana
other neighborhoods that we would be interested in based on what I've written above

Also, zip codes of neighborhoods within Louisville would be very helpful in looking for houses online. Thank you!!
Based on your wants, you would honestly enjoy living in zip codes 40204, 40205, 40206, or 40207 versus any far flung suburban locale. This is where the eclectic character, urban density, and "university town" feel is. I think you will feel isolated in one of Louisville's exurbs based on your tastes...Louisville is not a huge city, but it is a big city compared to Columbia, Mo.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the school situation with regards to what you read on here. You need to CALL JCPS yourself and tell them homes you are looking at (by exact address). Then ask them where your child will be placed and how the system works. They will answer your questions. By all means, please don't believe internet "hearsay." From what I have seen, this type of hearsay is largely responsible for the sprawl in America's cities. Let me link you to some research I did last year:


The only objective way I have found to compare elementary schools in the metro area is with CATS scores. As a whole, Oldham schools are better than Louisville schools overall. However, the best schools with regards to CATS scores are STILL in Louisville. So, let me present once and for all the best 2007 CATS scores for elementary schools on the KY side of the metro area (13 county region in KY and IN as defined by census MSA):

1: Greathouse/Shyrock 114 (Louisville)
2: Anchorage Independent 112 (independent school district located in Louisville)
3: Goshen 107.5 (Oldham)
4: Schaffner Traditional 105.9 (Louisville)
5: Liberty 104.4 (Oldham)
6: Audubon Traditional 102.8 (Louisville)
7: Norton 102.2 (Louisville)
8: Wilder 101.2 (Louisville)
8: Lowe 101.2 (Louisville)
10: Buckner 101.0 (Oldham)

Cats Index description: All Kentucky schools are evaluated each year by the Commonwealth Accountability Testing System. The CATS index is based mostly on student scores on the Kentucky Core Content Tests in math, science, reading, and other subjects. A small part of the CATS index is dervied from a school's attendance, retention, and dropout rates. A Cats index of 100 would indicate that the schools has reached the state's goal of overall proficiency.

So, it's easy to see that 70% of the highest scoring elementary schools ( the ones with CATS index's above 100) are STILL in Jefferson County. Louisville has some very bad schools; but the best schools are the BEST in the region--at every level. And to answer the OP's question, there are no schools in Bullit with a Cats over 100, but there are some fine schools with Cats in the 90's, just like there are in Oldham and Jefferson.

Source: Louisville magazine November 2007 issue


FYI, there is a a new issue of Louisville Magazine with this year's rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-03-2009, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,651 posts, read 7,027,902 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMoMom View Post
If we move to Louisville, my husband will be working at the VA Hospital, and I would love to hear where YOU think we should look for houses.

You can live anywhere in Oldham County and get to VA in under 30 minutes. The big issue of to/from VA is I-71 between Zorn Ave and I-265.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom house, 1800 square feet or more in the $170,000 -- $225,000 price range. Very easily done in GLAR MLS zone 21 and eastern zone 20.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
20-25 minutes (up to 30, if we HAVE to) No problem any where. Watch KY 22 between I-265 and Murphy Lane for next couple years as there should be a major widening project.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
Public -- please see my previous post titled "Are Jefferson County schools so bad??" My oldest will be starting kindergarten this fall.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
We currently live in Columbia, MO which is a university town of about 80,000. We have loved living here -- what we love are the diverse, local restaurants (especially of different ethnic origins); plenty of family-friendly activities and parks (so much for FREE is a huge plus); great library; diverse population (international students, refugees, etc.); and just a lot of energy here. OC is full of diversity. Lots of professors, physicians, professionals from around the world live here. State of the art community library opened in LaGrange in January 2009. Parks everywhere. The Ohio River is just one big recreational pool, too.

We would love the same atmosphere, but we also would like a yard large enough for our boys to explore -- .4 to .5 of an acre would be ideal but anything larger than .25 like our current house would be great. Our children's education is also very important to us.
Many older (1970-1995 era homes are on 1 acre or larger lots due to septic system rules.
-Community amenities important to you
Parks, fitness centers (especially w/ racquetball), close grocery stores and restaurants Great Y in Buckner, Kroger, Walmart, and other stores in county, Meijer, Costco, Sam's close by. Ethnic: Irish, Mexican, Chinese, Redneck, country-fare, are here. Big chain eateries within 4 miles of county line. Gourmet mostly downtown Louisville.

I am very interested in the commute time from the following places to the VA (we have mapquested but don't know how to account for traffic):
towns in Oldham County LaGrange, Ballardsville, Sligo all within 30 min heavy traffic time to VA.
towns in Southern Indiana Depending on bridge traffic, Sellersburg will push ya.
other neighborhoods that we would be interested in based on what I've written above

Also, zip codes of neighborhoods within Louisville would be very helpful in looking for houses online. Thank you!!
Hope this helps. BTW, I lived in Crescent Hill in Louisville before living in LaGrange prior to settling in Crestwood.

Problem with Zips in Louisville is there are only about two or three where you will find a consistent quality of neighborhoods. For example, in 40207, you can find $150,000 to $ 400,000. Same for 40206, etc.

Got to be careful with Crestwood (40014). While 95% in Oldham County, it covers the mid-central southern part of the county. Smithfield (40068) is Henry County, but has a large chuck of SE Oldham County. LaGrange (40031) can be Henry County, as can Pendleton (40055) but the greatest cross county line situation is Prospect (40059) with lots of Oldham County homes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-04-2009, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,758 posts, read 13,701,841 times
Reputation: 1990
STX how many schools have you attended in Louisville? How many kids do you have in school? I and many others speak from experience and not a bunch of numbers that can be played on the internet. Here's an example, I once lived in Sylvania because I did internet research and according to it the area has low crime. I can't remember the number but I was impressed, it seemed safer than where I was in the Highlands at the time. I get there and come to find it it wasn't safer, people just didn't report anything! Word of mouth means more here then numbers I'll tell ya that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Elizabethtown, KY
34 posts, read 95,293 times
Reputation: 19
I go to the Louisville VA often and the parking is horrible. Your spouse may want to consider using public transit or car pooling with co-workers. Louisville is a low cost area compared to major cities and I'm sure you'll find everything you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-04-2009, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
666 posts, read 1,451,776 times
Reputation: 249
Anything past LaGrange in OC would be pushing a 30 min commute. The traffic during morning rush hour is ALWAYS slow once you get past I-265, so i would say expect at least a 30 minute commute if you live in LaGrange or anywhere past there, and that is if you live NEAR the interstate in LaGrange. Try looking in Crestwood, Pewee Valley, Middletown, or even J-Town along Bardstown Rd. or Billtown Rd., you may also want to look at some homes in the St. Matthews/Herr Ln. area, you can easily find some houses with larger yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-05-2009, 04:46 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,651 posts, read 7,027,902 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
Anything past LaGrange in OC would be pushing a 30 min commute. The traffic during morning rush hour is ALWAYS slow once you get past I-265, so i would say expect at least a 30 minute commute if you live in LaGrange or anywhere past there, and that is if you live NEAR the interstate in LaGrange. Try looking in Crestwood, Pewee Valley, Middletown, or even J-Town along Bardstown Rd. or Billtown Rd., you may also want to look at some homes in the St. Matthews/Herr Ln. area, you can easily find some houses with larger yards.

A very good synopsis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 03-05-2009, 10:03 AM
 
3,681 posts, read 7,382,284 times
Reputation: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
STX how many schools have you attended in Louisville? How many kids do you have in school? I and many others speak from experience and not a bunch of numbers that can be played on the internet. Here's an example, I once lived in Sylvania because I did internet research and according to it the area has low crime. I can't remember the number but I was impressed, it seemed safer than where I was in the Highlands at the time. I get there and come to find it it wasn't safer, people just didn't report anything! Word of mouth means more here then numbers I'll tell ya that.
Missy....you can't discount statistical facts. JCPS has many problems especially with its lower tiered schools, but its top schools are among the best in the state. It doesn't matter where I went to school, or it doesn't matter that you happen to personally know two people who have had problems with the system. Facts are facts. Objective data is key when comparing places. Subjective data and talk helps, but it shouldn't be used as the sole decision for any rational person.

Also, the very BEST highschools in the Louisville MSA are not public at all, with the exception of Manual HS in Louisville. Louisville's St Xavier, Trinity, Collegiate, and even KCD among many others are among the top private schools in a 3 state region. The same can probably be said for elementary schools, and from what I have seen, many of the National Blue Ribbon Award Catholic schools are killing the education of anywhere in the MSA, but yes, it costs money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-15-2011, 11:38 AM
 
1 posts, read 894 times
Reputation: 10
Default commute question

tomocox your commute info is veryhelpful. We are looking at Oldham county as well. Can you tell me what the approximate communte would be from NE Crestwood all the way to W Louisville? (Camp Ground Road, exit 5B off 264) How bad is traffic, and what route would you recommend? thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top