Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 04:27 PM

28 posts, read 91,459 times

Advertisements

What cities/towns in Oldham County would be nice to raise a family in. We are looking at Mount Washington but I keep coming across the fact that Oldham County has some of the best schools in Kentucky. How far of a drive to downtown Louisville be from some of the cities in Oldham County? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We will be moving at the end of the year and just feel so confused on where to go. My husband's parents live in Louisville (Heritage Creek subdivision). My husband is in the medical field and I will be going to RN school at U of L and then hoping to work in downtown Louisville where he will be working. We don't want to be to far away from work but we do want to live in the suburbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 05:48 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
You can't go wrong with Oldham County. If you are planning to buy, you can live from 15-30 minutes from downtown (remember I-71 exit 14 is 14 miles to the Kennedy Bridge), its only 3 minutes further to Buckner. Look at Pewee Valley 40056, Crestwood 40014, Prospect 40059 (but be careful to be sure anything you look at is actually Oldham County as 75% of 40059 is Jefferson), Goshen 40026, Buckner 40010, LaGrange 40031, or Westport 40077. The Oldham County Schools are all top notch and the major difference between Oldham County and other school districts is there is not a nickle's difference between the schools, they are all safe, all highly competitive in most all sports, all have college classes available for out-front kids, and a lifestyle here that remains almost quiet, but oh so close to so much.

I grew up south of Owensboro, lived in Henderson, and in the Crescent Hill area of Louisville before moving to Oldham County. Other than going home to be buried, I plan to be here the rest of my days. It's just that much better and those that find room to not believe or feel that I am being over the wall on hype, just haven't lived here.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:39 PM

28 posts, read 91,459 times
What are your thoughts on Mount Washington? My husband is stuck on it.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:56 PM

School system is suspect. The area's statistical lack of educated adults is a big concern. Huge majority of Oldham County homes have at least some college in the home. This is a tremendous factor in the quality of education and lower crime rates.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,722 times
I would not recommend Oldham County. People rave about the schools because they do not know any better. They don't teach spelling, there is no math program and all of the primary grades are combination classes. Also, everything here revolves around money. So, unless you drive a late model BMW, are prepared to spend 600 thousand on a house and can afford 6500 in private school tuition, look somewhere else. I wish our real estate agent would have told us that before we bought here. Big mistake.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Learn View Post
I would not recommend Oldham County. People rave about the schools because they do not know any better. They don't teach spelling, there is no math program and all of the primary grades are combination classes. Also, everything here revolves around money. So, unless you drive a late model BMW, are prepared to spend 600 thousand on a house and can afford 6500 in private school tuition, look somewhere else. I wish our real estate agent would have told us that before we bought here. Big mistake.
I am so sorry that you have had a poor experience in Oldham County. One in 1000, a very acceptable ratio of people who like it verses people who don't.

To defend the Oldham County Schools, how many National Merit Scholars do you expect from a school system that doesn't teach math or spelling?

Please see: Oldham County Schools Web - Front Page Welcome

In 2008, per the Greater Louisville Association of Realtors there were 708 home sales with an average sale price of $279,097.

We have three new car dealers in the county. Ford, Mercury, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Jeep, Chrysler.... hmmmmmmmm.... I guess all the cars they sell must leave the county? Not a foreign manufacturer represented. Got to leave the county to buy a BMW, Lexus, even a lowly American Cadillac.

Is is possible that your Realtor did try to tell you, but you weren't listening?

Old 03-19-2009, 04:25 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Learn View Post
Also, everything here revolves around money. So, unless you drive a late model BMW, are prepared to spend 600 thousand on a house and can afford 6500 in private school tuition, look somewhere else. I wish our real estate agent would have told us that before we bought here. Big mistake.
You could say that about almost any area in the East End. The money thing only matters if you let it. Just because other people drive BMW's and send their kids to private schools really doesnt make a difference in how they view you as a person. Send your kid to public schools, and drive a Hyundai. I'm sure the neighbors will still be your friend. That's what I love about Kentucky, a majority of the people are not materialistic, and could care less about what you have or don't have, at least in the 10 years I've been here thats what I've experieced.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
You could say that about almost any area in the East End. The money thing only matters if you let it. Just because other people drive BMW's and send their kids to private schools really doesnt make a difference in how they view you as a person. Send your kid to public schools, and drive a Hyundai. I'm sure the neighbors will still be your friend. That's what I love about Kentucky, a majority of the people are not materialistic, and could care less about what you have or don't have, at least in the 10 years I've been here thats what I've experieced.
You are so wise! Thank you for putting things right.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:03 AM

Default A footnote/update

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post

In 2008, per the Greater Louisville Association of Realtors there were 708 home sales with an average sale price of $279,097.
In February 2009, there were 35 homes sold in Oldham County by members of the National Association of Realtors. Just for the record..

Category - Residential
Statistics for Entire MLS from 02/01/2009 to 02/28/2009

TOTAL 35 Avg Sale Price= $250,000 Median Sale Price (17 of 35 above, 17 of 35 total sales below) = $185,000 This means that while a few large high value sales occurred, many more sales below the average sale price.

Its a great time to buy a great home in a great school district in a great neighborhood anywhere in the Louisville area.

Last edited by tomocox; 03-20-2009 at 05:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area