Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:33 AM

844 posts, read 2,092,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcpro View Post
Don't be a sore loser.
Who is being a sore loser? These events are the people's chance to have their voices heard. Are you saying that freedom of speech need to be taken away??? Jeesh

Quote:
Conservatives had eight years to make this country a better place, and failed miserably.
Eight years? I don't think so... they were indeed stifled by Democrats for the last few years (oh, and that little 9/11 thing which is unimportant).

Regardless, the country was much better off than when Clinton left... so you are wrong to say that they "failed miserably".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 AM

10 posts, read 24,329 times
Tomocox,

Hard to believe that someone who runs a $200M business with over 2000 employees isn't a lockstep conservative? Believe it or not, there are a lot of us out there who are fed up with the extemeism that has poisoned our political process. I make a very nice 6 figure income, no where near the millions that Wall Street traders and most Fortune 500 execs make. I don't like paying taxes more than anyone else, but I recognize that not everyone in our society can be as successful as me, so I'm OK with paying a little more.

Now about this time you're probably jumping up and down about the last sentence. Despite the American Dream, not everyone is going to get a corner office. In fact our society depends just as much on people making minimum wage as people making millions. The problem of late is that it's become increasing difficult for the people mowing your lawn, busing your tables, and cutting your hair to make ends meet.
When those folks can't pay for the bare necessities or afford basic healthcare, we've all got a problem. In the end you either have to get their wages up to a reasonable rate, or supplement their incomes with benefits, many of which are subsidized by higher wage earning tax payer. Incomes for top earners, including myself, have gone up much more and much faster over the past eight years than on the bottom end or in the middle. I sure your muttering "redistribution of wealth" right now, but we really have to get things a little more balanced.

Adding to the problem is that we've allowed too many people who add very little to our ecomomy (i.e. the dealmakers) to take control of govermnent. When the financial services industry, banks, brokers, etc, became the fastest growing part of our enconomy over the past eight years, it was inevitable that we would wind up in the mess we're in now.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:01 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,259,562 times
Joe, its the "EPA STUPID" (like "Its the Economy Stupid"). For 6 years of Bush's 8 years, there was not a majority Congress. Only after we got the Democrat ruled Congress did Bush fail, but then again, the know-it-alls such as you seem to a part of, failed to accept that. For 8 years, for whatever reason, Bush was always on defense, but ask any homeowner, if they didn't re-fi their home which they owned on January 19, 2001 and use the equity for something else, they still have a home worth more than it was on January 20, 2001.

I am personally opposed to nearly every governmental program except for defense.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:48 PM

171 posts, read 461,884 times
Defense is the one program we need to cut most of all, who would Jesus bomb? right on hcpro and 31joe!, I'll have to tell my friends "there ARE intelligent people in Kentucky"!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:33 PM

I didn't say the defense budget didn't need to be cut, I did say that all programs need to be zeroed except defense. Be sure to read what I wrote, not what you assumed, please.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Tomocox,

Hard to believe that someone who runs a $200M business with over 2000 employees isn't a lockstep conservative? Believe it or not, there are a lot of us out there who are fed up with the extemeism that has poisoned our political process. I make a very nice 6 figure income, no where near the millions that Wall Street traders and most Fortune 500 execs make. I don't like paying taxes more than anyone else, but I recognize that not everyone in our society can be as successful as me, so I'm OK with paying a little more.

Now about this time you're probably jumping up and down about the last sentence. Despite the American Dream, not everyone is going to get a corner office. In fact our society depends just as much on people making minimum wage as people making millions. The problem of late is that it's become increasing difficult for the people mowing your lawn, busing your tables, and cutting your hair to make ends meet.
When those folks can't pay for the bare necessities or afford basic healthcare, we've all got a problem. In the end you either have to get their wages up to a reasonable rate, or supplement their incomes with benefits, many of which are subsidized by higher wage earning tax payer. Incomes for top earners, including myself, have gone up much more and much faster over the past eight years than on the bottom end or in the middle. I sure your muttering "redistribution of wealth" right now, but we really have to get things a little more balanced.

Adding to the problem is that we've allowed too many people who add very little to our ecomomy (i.e. the dealmakers) to take control of govermnent. When the financial services industry, banks, brokers, etc, became the fastest growing part of our enconomy over the past eight years, it was inevitable that we would wind up in the mess we're in now.
You didn't happen to share what your business is. Is it a firm that happens to be receiving or in line for some big government contracts?

Secondly, I would bet that you do have a pretty good idea of how supply vs demand works unless you have no-bid governmental contracts..

Old 04-16-2009, 05:37 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,154,259 times
Well, I for one am terribly sad to be missing this Tea Party and the opportunity for a meet and greet, getting the chance to chat to a variety of people about the current economic climate and ways that we can cope until things take an up turn. (I am quietly very optimistic about this. )

It would have especially been nice to do said thing, over a lovely cup of hot English (or Irish!) Breakfast tea. Make sure the cow passes by my cup before it heads off--I like mine milky! lol (My folks and family think I've lost my ever loving mind, drinking hot tea with MILK IN IT!! )

Old 04-16-2009, 09:08 AM

14 posts, read 36,542 times
I'm sure if his firm was based on government contracts, he would not be spending his time on the No-Bid Liberal Buddies Government Contract on-line forum spreading disinformation about the other companies so as to enrich his own bank account, right? Surely no one would engage in that kind of like-behavior on the Louisville forum. Hmmm.

tomocox said: You didn't happen to share what your business is. Is it a firm that happens to be receiving or in line for some big government contracts?

Secondly, I would bet that you do have a pretty good idea of how supply vs demand works unless you have no-bid governmental contracts..

Old 04-16-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31joe View Post
I'm sure if his firm was based on government contracts, he would not be spending his time on the No-Bid Liberal Buddies Government Contract on-line forum spreading disinformation about the other companies so as to enrich his own bank account, right? Surely no one would engage in that kind of like-behavior on the Louisville forum. Hmmm.

tomocox said: You didn't happen to share what your business is. Is it a firm that happens to be receiving or in line for some big government contracts?

Joe, my business is very definitely stated on this and every page of City-Data Forum. I am one of a very, very few people on this forum who actually use their real name as their screen name.

I understand that because I have, I am likely on the DHS Watch List.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:17 AM

14 posts, read 36,542 times
Not only the DHS Watch List, I'm sure you're on the FEMA concentration camp and the take-away-his-guns lists also. Paranoid much, Tom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area