Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 6,204 times

Advertisements

Thinking of possibly relocating from Atlanta to Louisville. Currently we live in Virginia Highlands neighborhood which looks a lot like your Highlands. We have an older home, 1929 and live around the corner from Piedmont Park. There are a few facades mixed into the neighborhood with small local businesses and restaurants. Things are pretty diverse - and there is a lot of variety. I think we have close to 20 grocery/specialty food stores with in a 5 mile radius of our house, including 2 trader joes. The people are all over the place from straight to gay and everyone else in between. We are actually an unmarried asian/causian couple who have been together for almost 13 years...no kids or plans to have them. Both of us are artist and would like to open a working studio/gallery. We would like to maintain that city urban feel in a place where we could safely walk the neighborhood late at night. A good variety of local business and restaurants and house under $250K less would be better. Any ideas...there are so many small parts to Louisville's Highlands.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:47 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2paintersandacat View Post
Thinking of possibly relocating from Atlanta to Louisville. Currently we live in Virginia Highlands neighborhood which looks a lot like your Highlands. We have an older home, 1929 and live around the corner from Piedmont Park. There are a few facades mixed into the neighborhood with small local businesses and restaurants. Things are pretty diverse - and there is a lot of variety. I think we have close to 20 grocery/specialty food stores with in a 5 mile radius of our house, including 2 trader joes. The people are all over the place from straight to gay and everyone else in between. We are actually an unmarried asian/causian couple who have been together for almost 13 years...no kids or plans to have them. Both of us are artist and would like to open a working studio/gallery. We would like to maintain that city urban feel in a place where we could safely walk the neighborhood late at night. A good variety of local business and restaurants and house under $250K less would be better. Any ideas...there are so many small parts to Louisville's Highlands.
Thanks.
I would argue that Louisville's Highlands is actually BETTER than Virginia Highland. ATL certainly has better shopping and more specialty grocer's (there is no Trader Joe's in Louisville although there are plans to expand to the city), but Louisville's Highlands seems like a more authentic urban nabe. Furthermore, while it is friendly to folks of all shapes and colors and is highly educated, it just seems safer than any of Atlanta's in-town neighborhoods. As a general rule, "parkside" is more desirable. That is, to the east of Bardstown/Baxter Avenue. I think you would really love the Cherokee Triangle subsection of the Highlands, however all of 40204 and 40205 are wonderful. I would also look at 40206 and 40207 just to compare (St Mathews and Crescent Hill)

The Highlands of Louisville, KY USA home page

Louisville has a large and growing community of artists, so no problem there.

Some places to start searching and to network:

First Friday Trolley Hop

F.A.T. Friday Hop

Old 04-15-2009, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 6,204 times
Thank you so much for all of that good information. I really appreciate you being so specific. My partner and I have been in ATL for 15 years and it's just time for a change. I will definitely check out the areas you've highlighted and plan a trip up within the next month. I'll also check out those links you've added. I'm optimistic this will be a good fit.

Thanks Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area