Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:50 PM

27 posts, read 208,500 times

Advertisements

The motel 6 airport is perfect, under $40, can't beat that! Looks like a decent place too.

I see some very eclectic places! Thats what I love to see, unique!

I just hope there is time enough to really bounce around... between looking for apartments (and possibly negotiating etc) and checking out (and definitely negotiating) the shop and THAT area too... I'm not sure how much time that will eat up.

You have been extremely helpful... without your guidance I would have been blindly wandering. With a semi-set plan and knowing where everything is, it should make things go very smoothly. I'll plot it all out on a map, and just go to whatever grabs us.

When I make the move, I'll have to buy you a beer or 10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,797 times
Smile Eateries in Louisville

To start with let's say that if you can't find a restaurant to your liking in Louisville - Jack, you ain't hungry.
There are several streets where you can find a variety in cusines - some good, some so-so some you wonder how they nstay in business, In fact the last of those don't survive very long because of the competition level. Examples of those streets are, as mentioned by others here,are Bardstown Road, Frankfort Avenue, Hurstbourne Parkway just fto mention a few. What you will not find is what anyone from Chitown would call good pizza (such as Gino's, Aruelio's or the Chicago claim-to-fame Pizzeria Uno or Pizzeria Due or Lou Malnotti's. Not Louavul's fault. They just don't have the same concentration of Italians. (There is a branch of Pizzeria Uno at 6501 Bardstown Road). Another feels-like-home Italian Restaurant is the nearly impossible to find 'Come Back Inn' at 909 Swan St. The owner is a transplanted Chicagoan. Great Chicago-style Italian Beef sandwiches. Zero Chicago hot dogs available anywhere.

Entertainment abounds. Just about any kind you would like. There's been some excellent advice from the other respondents also. Between us you should be armed for bears.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:28 PM

giordano's happens to be my fav pizza. Canadian bacon and garlic...mmmmmmmm. Uno's is also great... aurelio's... I find it hard to believe there is *nothing* comparable down there?

not having great pizza is no good... thats always the fallback when not in the mood for anything fancy.

Chicago style italian beef is awesome... are there any great gyro spots? There is a particular baba's on 183rd and cicero out by me... and the gyro meat/sauce is superb... and the bbq sauce on the fries is also superb - my fav late night spot by far.

More than anything, I appreciate variety... not looking to replace giordano's/baba's. I like to be surprised, perhaps the biggest surprise was a portabello mushroom sandwich I had in flossmoor... I had no idea what I was ordering, I assumed it was a regular burger with mushrooms on top (lol..). Turned out to be an incredibly tasty and satisfying sandwich, even if it was nothing but mushrooms/cheese on bread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudat View Post
To start with let's say that if you can't find a restaurant to your liking in Louisville - Jack, you ain't hungry.
There are several streets where you can find a variety in cusines - some good, some so-so some you wonder how they nstay in business, In fact the last of those don't survive very long because of the competition level. Examples of those streets are, as mentioned by others here,are Bardstown Road, Frankfort Avenue, Hurstbourne Parkway just fto mention a few. What you will not find is what anyone from Chitown would call good pizza (such as Gino's, Aruelio's or the Chicago claim-to-fame Pizzeria Uno or Pizzeria Due or Lou Malnotti's. Not Louavul's fault. They just don't have the same concentration of Italians. (There is a branch of Pizzeria Uno at 6501 Bardstown Road). Another feels-like-home Italian Restaurant is the nearly impossible to find 'Come Back Inn' at 909 Swan St. The owner is a transplanted Chicagoan. Great Chicago-style Italian Beef sandwiches. Zero Chicago hot dogs available anywhere.

Entertainment abounds. Just about any kind you would like. There's been some excellent advice from the other respondents also. Between us you should be armed for bears.
I wouldn't consider Hurstbourne a prime restuarant area, as its mostly boring chains. The only one I like is PF Changs and Carraba's is not bad for chain Italian. Most of the rest is accepting average food. The Melting Pot isn't bad for something different. I would say the top restuarant area after Bardstown Road is actually downtown, EASILY. There is 4 and 5 star places along with hole in the wall lunch spots. Good Mexican, great sushi, even artsy fartsy places with live Jazz. Then you have Frankfort, plus hidden gems all over the metro: La Rosita in New Albany, Vietnam Kitchen in the "Little Vietnam" area of the south end, Koreana on Preston, and La Tapatia in Okolona just to name a few restuarants outside the traditional "strips."

Its true, the pizza isn't great in Louisville, but there are some standouts. I would say Tony Boombazz is good and is a "Louisville style" gourmet pizza. Bearno's and Wick's are sure better than the chains, but nothing like Chicago pizza. There is one place I know of, Windy City Pizzeria on South 4th street near Churchill downs, which cooks a pretty mean Chicago style deep dish. As you mentioned, there is a Pizzeria Uno in Fern Creek, but I have heard it isn't as good as the ones in Chitown. One of the standout pizza joints is actually a Philly style place called Spinelli's. They even deliver in and around downtown and the Highlands until 5 AM! I also love their cheesesteak, and the place has a cool counterculture vibe. I think he also has a store in the suburbs now.

I can second the rec for Come Back Inn, its awesome. Also, Volare is a more upscale place that was the second store based on the one in downtown Chicago, but I believe the owners are now local in Louisville.

For gyros, there is several good places. I kind of like Omar's Gyros on Baxter Avenue, and he has some good fresh cut fries. There is also a place called Chicago Gyro on Lower Brownsboro Road that is reminiscent of a typical stand you would find in Chicago, maybe Wrigleyville dog (its even run by Mexicans here too, just like the Chi )

Hudat, you have good ideas, but you are off by saying you can't get Chicago style dogs in the ville. There is an excellent place in St. Matthews called Lonnie's Best Taste of Chicago. He flys in fresh Vienna beef dogs from Chicago and is a Chicago native himself. I honestly would pit his dogs against some of the top stands in Chicagoland...well maybe not Weinerville Circle By the way, Lonnie plans a hot dog store downtown soon. I believe it will open near Fourth Street Live between fourth and fifth streets. I do hear rumors of a place out in the burbs near Crestwood, KY run by Chicago natives. I recall it being near South Oldham HS, and it has a huge sign featuring the Chicago skyline. I believe its another Chicago transplant who runs it (there are lots here, especially in Oldham County).

Old 04-05-2007, 10:45 PM

"They even deliver in and around downtown and the Highlands until 5 AM!"

SOLD!

What I wouldn't give to have had that around here for a few years... even if the food is mediocre they will get my business just for being available . I'm a late night guy, and IHOP doesn't cut it... baba's has no seating, anywhere else is too far or too crummy. I can only imagine walking downstairs to pickup a hot pizza or sandwich at 4 AM

My fav giordano's is in oakbrook, and there is only one uno's (although due.... well... lol).

So much to stomach! (no pun intended) I can't imagine not finding my edible niche, the most fun will be had figuring out whats best

Plan to arrive on the 20th, and depart on the 21st... hopefully with at least a solid idea of where I'll be residing, maybe even become a resident if the planets align

Old 05-22-2007, 11:28 PM

3 posts, read 11,667 times
Default Considering a move to Louisville

My wife is from Chicago and I'm from San Francisco. Currently, and sadly, we live in Sacramento, CA.

Ideally, we'd like to live either in Chicago or SF but, as it turns out, there are not a lot of teaching jobs in Chicago (I'm a teacher) and SF is very expensive.

As far as we can tell, Louisville seems to have many of the qualities we seek. First, it appears I can get a job in Louisville, or in the surrounding area, and that is key. Next, it seems affordable compared to either Chicago or SF. Sacramento is inexpensive but, believe me, there's a reason for that.

What we'd like to know is where we should look when we come to visit. Our basic idea is that we'd like to live as urban as possible (safe though), near the action, within walking distance to cool stuff such as cafes, bars, music, grocery etc. In Sacramento, for example, you must drive to services most of the time and there is scarce public transportation.

We'd also like to have an ongoing conversation about Lousiville with people who love it - and it appears there are many people who really love Louisville.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:56 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Andrew1 View Post
My wife is from Chicago and I'm from San Francisco. Currently, and sadly, we live in Sacramento, CA.

Ideally, we'd like to live either in Chicago or SF but, as it turns out, there are not a lot of teaching jobs in Chicago (I'm a teacher) and SF is very expensive.

As far as we can tell, Louisville seems to have many of the qualities we seek. First, it appears I can get a job in Louisville, or in the surrounding area, and that is key. Next, it seems affordable compared to either Chicago or SF. Sacramento is inexpensive but, believe me, there's a reason for that.

What we'd like to know is where we should look when we come to visit. Our basic idea is that we'd like to live as urban as possible (safe though), near the action, within walking distance to cool stuff such as cafes, bars, music, grocery etc. In Sacramento, for example, you must drive to services most of the time and there is scarce public transportation.

We'd also like to have an ongoing conversation about Lousiville with people who love it - and it appears there are many people who really love Louisville.
Highlands. Enough said. Near Bardstown Road. You'll like it. Plenty to do, gorgeous rehabbed homes, a progressive vibe, but no big city hassles. Louisville's version of Chicago's Clark street, only on a MUCH smaller scale (perhaps more eclectic too) Cherokee Road, Willow Ave, Everett Ave, and Highland Ave are among my favorite roads. Very safe and high income, and very walkable (when its warm, people are on the sidewalks at all hours, nearly 24 hours a day):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hig...8Louisville%29

Any of the streets crossing Bardstown Road south of Highland Ave and east of Barret Ave would be to your liking.

Highly recommend being as close to Cherokee or Seneca parks as you can.

Also, our downtown is becoming increasingly cool and walkable, without feeling like you are in some huge city. It isn't too vibrant on weekday nights yet, but that is starting to change. Search my other posts and you will find gobs of information about downtown development. Just a taste of it:

http://www.courier-journal.com/assets/B273970520.PDF

Frankfort ave is the other area for walkability, although it is a bit more chilled out vibe. There are some cool old houses over there, and plenty of condo infill. Here is an example of urban infill on Frankfort (known as Crescent Hill/Clifton):

http://www.cliftonlofts.com/

Lots of good restuarant, electic stores, and coffee shops. A progressive area with highly educated residents.

Old Louisville is super cool, but lacks a lot of retail at this point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Louisville

If you want a pulse on the city, pick up one of these:

www.leoweekly.com

This one is more for pictures like RedEye in Chicago:

http://www.velocityweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage (broken link)

Old 05-23-2007, 05:10 AM

5 posts, read 22,855 times
I live in the Cherokee Triangle area, and you should be able to find a nice apartment in your price range. If you are working out towards I-65 and the Watterson Expressway, you may want to look inside the circle of the Watterson, but out from downtown. Look along Bardstown Rd. or along Frankfort Ave. It's an older area, but lots of young people, stuff going on, etc. I have never known anyone to have their car stolen. (Mine has been broken into twice, but only CDs and small stuff taken.)

Old 05-23-2007, 07:20 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
The best thing about the posts that stx12499 makes are the link references. While I don't always agree with him, he makes a huge effort to point you in the right direction and there is nothing like looking at various web sites to get a feel for someplace new. It's not like being there, but it's a good start.

And Hudat is right - we are exceptionally blessed with good and varied restaurants for a city of our size.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:17 PM

12 posts, read 65,797 times
Thumbs up Thanks so much for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Highlands. Enough said. Near Bardstown Road. You'll like it. Plenty to do, gorgeous rehabbed homes, a progressive vibe, but no big city hassles. Louisville's version of Chicago's Clark street, only on a MUCH smaller scale (perhaps more eclectic too) Cherokee Road, Willow Ave, Everett Ave, and Highland Ave are among my favorite roads. Very safe and high income, and very walkable (when its warm, people are on the sidewalks at all hours, nearly 24 hours a day):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hig...8Louisville%29

Any of the streets crossing Bardstown Road south of Highland Ave and east of Barret Ave would be to your liking.

Highly recommend being as close to Cherokee or Seneca parks as you can.

Also, our downtown is becoming increasingly cool and walkable, without feeling like you are in some huge city. It isn't too vibrant on weekday nights yet, but that is starting to change. Search my other posts and you will find gobs of information about downtown development. Just a taste of it:

http://www.courier-journal.com/assets/B273970520.PDF

Frankfort ave is the other area for walkability, although it is a bit more chilled out vibe. There are some cool old houses over there, and plenty of condo infill. Here is an example of urban infill on Frankfort (known as Crescent Hill/Clifton):

http://www.cliftonlofts.com/

Lots of good restuarant, electic stores, and coffee shops. A progressive area with highly educated residents.

Old Louisville is super cool, but lacks a lot of retail at this point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Louisville

If you want a pulse on the city, pick up one of these:

www.leoweekly.com

This one is more for pictures like RedEye in Chicago:

http://www.velocityweekly.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage (broken link)
I'm 1Andrew1's wife & he forgot his password
We will check the links out & we're so grateful for you taking the time to reply & posting links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area