Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:39 PM

79 posts, read 233,541 times

Advertisements

We live in MA and despise the big government, nanny state politics and would love to get out ASAP! We could go to Louisville but he doesn't want to leave family and friends.
Help me convince him that Louisville is a wonderful place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,623 times
Default Help Me Convince him?

No one can convince him if he doesnt want to go. My wife doesnt want to leave CA, but the high crime, taxes, and rents are forcing us to go back to KY. There is no 2 ways about it.

She, and I assume your husband are in the same boat; denying reality for the comforts of the past. Sure family is important, thats why there are non-stop flights! To visit family, but ya gotta live, and ya might as well live in a better place that where you are now.

Facts dont confuse the open minded. They only convince those who's head is in the sand, that if they ignore the situation it (or us) will go away and life will be like it was 30 years ago.

Ive even gone so far to say to my wife that the next mobile home we will have if we stay in Orange County will be a shopping cart. But family is a strong pull to stay here, finances are a strong pull to leave.

Good luck,

Dr. Phil (the real one, not the guy on TV)

Old 05-10-2009, 06:43 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,268,467 times
If he doesn't want to leave, don't. You won't be happy. I would rather see you stay, join a TEA party and from the grass roots level fix the the mess.

Take your time, come visit. Until he really wants to come, there is nothing all the kings men will be able to do to fix the egg.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 PM

666 posts, read 2,527,221 times
If you are really stuck on moving, it won't hurt to drag him out here for a visit and who knows, maybe he'll love it here.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,268,467 times
If you come, let me know. I'll take time to show you the area with no obligation whatsoever. Anyone reading this forum is welcome to have the same tour.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:14 PM

79 posts, read 233,541 times
Thank you everyone! Tomocox - I did go to the Boston TEA party - it was fabulous!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 PM

24 posts, read 111,666 times
I was born and raised in Boston......yet, over the last 12 years I have lived in Vermont, Miami, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Fort Lauderdale, and Tampa. I have worked and spent considerable time in Las Vegas, California, Panama City Panama, and the bahamas. You know what I've learned......Boston doesn't change. The Red Sox are still here, my neighborhood is still here, and its the same way I left it.

Tell him not to worry.......if he hates it and needs to come back, it won't have gone anywhere. Life is about getting out, trying new things, and taking shots even when you're not sure why. Boston was here long before him, and it will be here long after him.......just remind him of that and any reasonable person should give a move a shot. I've been to Louisville......good town. By the way....Taxes in Mass are OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!! If either of you have a job you should definately give it a shot. I'd take a job on the moon right now.

Good luck.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 AM

140 posts, read 617,436 times
I hate to break it to you, Rosanero, but taxes in Kentucky are generally higher than those in Massachusetts. MA taxes are actually fairly reasonable.

For a full comparison, see here: Retirement Living - Taxes by State: Kansas - New Mexico.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:11 PM

24 posts, read 111,666 times
JBMill3, you may very well be correct. All research brings something different, thats the very nature of results, if they can be substantiated then they hold some merit. I have never lived in Kentucky, so it would be pressumtive of me to speak from experience, however I can tell you that Massachusetts aka "tax-achusetts" has taxable rights to everything from property to air.

I read an article released from George Mason University about a week ago that evaluated to irony between taxes enforced and tax law between liberal and conservative states. Massachusetts ranked third in states most asburdly taxed in the country behind only Connecticut and Illinois. It's a liberal nightmare here in more ways than one.

Regardless, I think its safe to assume that taxes are unreasonable just about everywhere since they are justified by local governments and congruent to state objectives and individual goals. Either way, JBTD should still ger her husband out of town.....lol. Staying in the same place forever doesn't do much for anyone except allow them to saturate in their own little world. Anytime I have traveled to Louisville it has been good to me!

Anyway, sorry taxes are tough in Kentucky JBMill3, and good luck getting your husband out of state JBTD!

Old 12-12-2009, 11:07 PM

40 posts, read 109,252 times
waaa waaa waaaa - Why don't you start you own community and set your own rules. Deal with it and get on with your life! Just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area