Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:43 AM

14 posts, read 51,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I am a Realtor. I am not soliciting your business. If you can buy a shack now, do. With the $ 8000 tax credit you can use as a down payment, it will take a long time to make up the difference in savings alone. If you still feel that you can't purchase a home, rent the absolutely smallest/lowest rent place that you can. Rent a $ 750 home and put the $1250 into a savings. Two years from now, you can have one very very nice down payment. Buy a home with at least a 20% down payment, save thousands of dollars per year on interest and Private Mortgage Insurance (PMI).

Tomocox, thanks so much for your reply and advice. My husband's pay is $108k a year, so about $9k/mo($2250/wk). We are DEFINITELY not in any position to purchase our own home as we just received our discharge papers from our BK back in early April of this year. We have been told to wait about 18m-2yrs before even trying to purchase. I feel we make enough though to be able to live comfortably in a nice rental while we wait out our time and also save a few thousand a month(maybe around $4k) for 18m-2yrs($96k). And still be able to live off about $3k/mo(we have ZERO debt, cars paid off, no more C/S payments to make, student loan paid off, never had credit cards to begin with, no mortgage obviously, no store charge cards, etc). But we do have 2 kids under 4 and we want to send our 4 y/o to a private Oldham county school in the fall, so rent and tuition would be our only large bills each month. We would prefer to pay no more than $500/mo for a Montessori or Christian school if anyone can recommend please.....
I would LOVE to purchase a home outright right now but the price range we are considering in a few years may be around $400k-$500k and we simply don't have the 20% down required of recent BK filers, unfortunately. Unless there's some program(s) out there I haven't heard of and yes we would both be first time homeowners, my husband has a VA cert he can use & about $10k saved so far. With $9k/mo income I only wonder if anyone would take a chance on us now rather than 2 years from now. We are self employed since '02 as well as make 6 figures annually with ZERO debt/ZERO owing on ANYTHING.
Is there hope for us prior to the 2 yr "waiting period" that you know of Tom? Your business and help would be appreciated very much as we need to move to the area sooner than later, we are currently renting but would prefer not to pay for another month's rent where we live now($1200) and just move into a new rental closer to his work BY June 1st if you know of any rentals in Prospect(N Oldham county area, or even Jefferson county at this point) or ANY surrounding Oldham county areas for the schools.

Last edited by Peter1948; 05-21-2009 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:07 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbblake View Post
Tomocox, thanks so much for your reply and advice. My husband's pay is $108k a year, so about $9k/mo($2250/wk). We are DEFINITELY not in any position to purchase our own home as we just received our discharge papers from our BK back in early April of this year. We have been told to wait about 18m-2yrs before even trying to purchase. I feel we make enough though to be able to live comfortably in a nice rental while we wait out our time and also save a few thousand a month(maybe around $4k) for 18m-2yrs($96k). And still be able to live off about $3k/mo(we have ZERO debt, cars paid off, no more C/S payments to make, student loan paid off, never had credit cards to begin with, no mortgage obviously, no store charge cards, etc). But we do have 2 kids under 4 and we want to send our 4 y/o to a private Oldham county school in the fall, so rent and tuition would be our only large bills each month. We would prefer to pay no more than $500/mo for a Montessori or Christian school if anyone can recommend please.....
I would LOVE to purchase a home outright right now but the price range we are considering in a few years may be around $400k-$500k and we simply don't have the 20% down required of recent BK filers, unfortunately. Unless there's some program(s) out there I haven't heard of and yes we would both be first time homeowners, my husband has a VA cert he can use & about $10k saved so far. With $9k/mo income I only wonder if anyone would take a chance on us now rather than 2 years from now. We are self employed since '02 as well as make 6 figures annually with ZERO debt/ZERO owing on ANYTHING.
Is there hope for us prior to the 2 yr "waiting period" that you know of Tom? Your business and help would be appreciated very much as we need to move to the area sooner than later, we are currently renting but would prefer not to pay for another month's rent where we live now($1200) and just move into a new rental closer to his work BY June 1st if you know of any rentals in Prospect(N Oldham county area, or even Jefferson county at this point) or ANY surrounding Oldham county areas for the schools.

Much thanks,
rtbblake

You were a bit more "personal" than I would have been here, but one of the things we can do for you is to find you a comfortable home, then make a lease option purchase (assuming the seller can accept such an offer), then two years or so from now, trigger the option and buy the home.

Last edited by Peter1948; 05-21-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 AM

14 posts, read 51,142 times
Hi

I dont mind about posting my email, I only open emails from my husband or if I specifically send one I'm waiting on a reply from. We own a computer repair biz so we've got the virus/malware removal thing "down" LOL. And yes, most definitely I would be VERY interested in a lease option if you can assist me, we will be in town today and/or tomorrow looking around.

Thanks

Old 07-19-2009, 06:37 AM

5 posts, read 18,115 times
Question Did you find a home to rent?

Wondering if you found a home, I notice the post was from May?? I know of a great propsect for you ... and yes private schools in Oldham are the best ... lots of info on that as well for you ...can we email privately here? Not sure how this works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area