Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,346,473 times

Advertisements

I don't think it has a specific name. It takes up all of the south side of Belgravia Court from the Pink Palace to the alley. There is another right at the SE corner of Belgravia & 6th Street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 7,382 times
I would suggest avoiding "old Louisville" as my wife and I spent two years on 4th and Gaulbert while attending UofL. Her car was broken into and we would hear gunshots every now and then. The area looks gorgeous during the day but trust me you don't want to live here. We live on the east end now, about 20 min commute to campus but well worth the extra time. Specifically we live in East Chase Apartments, Hurstbourne Pkwy. Good luck to you.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:25 PM

95 posts, read 350,373 times
how about this location ?
1. E.Chestnut at Shelby
2. 2206 Heather Lane (heather house apartment)
3. 1227 S.2nd Street at Ormsby Avenue
4. 1000 Stone Spring Way (Plainview apartment)
5.1622 S. 4th Street/Lee

Thanks

Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM

7,064 posts, read 16,643,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternDoc View Post
1. E.Chestnut at Shelby
5.1622 S. 4th Street/Lee

Thanks
To the poster above, we dont believe you "heard gunshots." Come on now. I have lived on 5th St downtown for 2 years now and never heard gunshots. As noted, the main risk in Old Louisville is for car break ins, but not unless you leave valuables in plain site in your car.

Number one is fine. That is probably Phoenix Place apartments, the only suburban style apartments in the downtown area. 2 blocks to University hospital, but not very walkable otherwise.

Number 2. Nope. A dump and a bad area that is far from the medical district. Goldsmith Lane area is not very nice.

Number 3. It is ok, but it is not the nicest part of Old Louisville. As noted before, the closer to the north side of UofL's campus you are, in general the nicer the homes and neighbors. From a historic perspective, I do love Ormbsy though, and this would be a fine area to live.

Number 4. Nice area. Typical cookie cutter suburbia about 15-20 minutes from downtown with annoying amounts of traffic and 30 minute waits to eat at junky restaurants like Olive Garden. Really, you can do better in Louisville.

Number 5. If you like Old Louisville, that is an excellent choice.

Old Louisville Guide

Secondarly, if you are going to look as far out as Hurstbourne and Buechel, why are you skipping over the much closer in and more desirable areas like Highlands and Crescent Hill?

Old 05-29-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
1. E.Chestnut at Shelby
5.1622 S. 4th Street/Lee

Thanks
To the poster above, we dont believe you "heard gunshots." Come on now. I have lived on 5th St downtown for 2 years now and never heard gunshots. As noted, the main risk in Old Louisville is for car break ins, but not unless you leave valuables in plain site in your car.

Number one is fine. That is probably Phoenix Place apartments, the only suburban style apartments in the downtown area. 2 blocks to University hospital, but not very walkable otherwise.

Number 2. Nope. A dump and a bad area that is far from the medical district. Goldsmith Lane area is not very nice.

Number 3. It is ok, but it is not the nicest part of Old Louisville. As noted before, the closer to the north side of UofL's campus you are, in general the nicer the homes and neighbors. From a historic perspective, I do love Ormbsy though, and this would be a fine area to live.

Number 4. Nice area. Typical cookie cutter suburbia about 15-20 minutes from downtown with annoying amounts of traffic and 30 minute waits to eat at junky restaurants like Olive Garden. Really, you can do better in Louisville.

Number 5. If you like Old Louisville, that is an excellent choice.

Old Louisville Guide

Secondarly, if you are going to look as far out as Hurstbourne and Buechel, why are you skipping over the much closer in and more desirable areas like Highlands and Crescent Hill?

I usually like renting homes and condos, but there are now more suburban style complexes in Old louisville, the Bellamy and the Province.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:24 PM

thank you very much....

Old 05-29-2009, 08:39 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,346,473 times
Actually there have been 2 shootings (1 fatal) within the vicinity of 4th & Gaulbert - I know this since I lived one block up at 4th & Hill from 2005 to 2008. I remember hearing the shots for one on Kensington Court and read in the paper about one that happened on Reeser Plaza while I was away for the weekend.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Actually there have been 2 shootings (1 fatal) within the vicinity of 4th & Gaulbert - I know this since I lived one block up at 4th & Hill from 2005 to 2008. I remember hearing the shots for one on Kensington Court and read in the paper about one that happened on Reeser Plaza while I was away for the weekend.
There have been more shootings than those two in Old Louisville over the last 5 years. But it is rare to hear gunshots. The CJ keeps maps of where homicide victims are found. There have been just as many in the East End as in Old Louisville, and Old Louisville has three times the population density of the densest census tract in the east end. Heck, there was a shootout in broad daylout between a former officer and a guy who honked at him in a Kroger parking lot on Hurstbourne last year. Does that make that area dangerous? Can I go around saying I hear gunshots over there?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:17 PM

how is this place ? I really love this unit...
1367 South Floyd Street.
Thanks

Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
how is this place ? I really love this unit...
1367 South Floyd Street.
Thanks
It is a gentrifying area. How comfortable are you with a real urban environment? There is a nice new Pakistani/American restaurant a block away. Are you on the second floor? Honestly, every block matters in Shelby/Park Old Louisville.

I still say you stick to my advice and stay south of oak along first through sixth streets, with st james court being at the center of it all. There are PLENTY of cheap apartments in that area.

Extra Large Studio Apartment- All Utilities Paid! + Free Wi-Fi N (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1194326379.html - broken link)

Hardwood Floors and Washer/Dryer Hookups (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1193032633.html - broken link)

Are you doing this all remotely? You really need to come visit to see how comfortable with an urban environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area