Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 AM

141 posts, read 545,441 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm planning a mommy meetup at Waterfront Park for a few moms,mostly with babies, and some with some older kids. Really, we just want to meet up and get together and hang out and talk, maybe eat a picnic lunch, but also want to be close to a play area for the toddlers and older kids. Which area of the park do you reccomend that we meet? I looked on the park map, and it looks like there's an "adventure play area" and a water play area near the "tan" parking area and tan picnic area. Is this a good area? What is the adventure play area. Is there too much construction around here?

There also seems to be an "orange picninc area" that has a children's play area close by. Can anyone who has been to the Waterfront Park with kids give me some opinions?

Also, we need a backup rain plan. Is there anywhere nearby that would have a room where we can get together or something indoor to do that we could change at the last minute too if it rains? Or is there a covered area in the park?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 02:42 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx2ky View Post
Hi, I'm planning a mommy meetup at Waterfront Park for a few moms,mostly with babies, and some with some older kids. Really, we just want to meet up and get together and hang out and talk, maybe eat a picnic lunch, but also want to be close to a play area for the toddlers and older kids. Which area of the park do you reccomend that we meet? I looked on the park map, and it looks like there's an "adventure play area" and a water play area near the "tan" parking area and tan picnic area. Is this a good area? What is the adventure play area. Is there too much construction around here?

There also seems to be an "orange picninc area" that has a children's play area close by. Can anyone who has been to the Waterfront Park with kids give me some opinions?

Also, we need a backup rain plan. Is there anywhere nearby that would have a room where we can get together or something indoor to do that we could change at the last minute too if it rains? Or is there a covered area in the park?

Thanks for your help!
Both those areas are great. The adventure playground is awesome. Just use the maps on the website to guide you. Should you run into bad weather, there is plenty to do in nearby downtown. Kids would probably enjoy the Louisville Science Center and its IMAX theatre. I am not a fan of the food, but lunch at Fourth Street Live may be cool for a kid. It really has a "big city" feel which I always remember going to different downtowns as a kid (mostly around Chicago) and have fond memories.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,209 times
Not sure when you are planning on doing your meetup, but you might keep in mind that the park is going to be disgusting for a little while until the city can clean up the debris from the flooding.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:16 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Great point. The flood brings in lots of garbage. Those areas may still be closed and flooded..,,

Old 03-23-2011, 08:20 AM

141 posts, read 545,441 times
Default Need rain plan!

Thanks for your tips. Looks like there may be rain and cold around when we planned on meeting so unfortunately, we need to move to our backup rain plan. Any other ideas for good baby activiy's, or at least something that moms can easily do and enjoy WITH babies.(7-8 months old), preferably around the downtown area? Thanks again for any help!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,209 times
I just saw in the CJ that it's going to be ~1-2 more weeks before Waterfront Park is cleaned up, and even then it might be a bit soggy. Immediately downtown, no, I don't know of much to do that a 7 month old would enjoy. Especially if you are wanting to stay indoors. I thought about recommending the Louisville Science Center (The Louisville Science Center Louisville Kentucky). I've seen people in there with children this young before, but I'm not sure how much they would really get out of it.

If it turns out that the weather isn't that bad, but the Waterfront is still waterlogged, you might think about taking them to Cherokee Park to run around. Or you could take them for a walk (likely best in a stroller) through the neighborhood of Old Louisville. Some of the city's oldest and most ornate architecture is in this part of town. There are actual walking tours you can take, an iphone app with information on the history of many of the buildings, or I'm sure general information you could pick up at the Old Louisville visitor's center. Central Park is also in this area if the kids wanted to get out of the strollers for a bit and there are restaurants/cafes nearby if you wanted to eat. Both this option and Cherokee Park are within 5-10 minutes of downtown.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:53 PM

11 posts, read 23,437 times
If your going just for the Park.Park Across from tumbleweed and walk a little south and there a nice water park playground for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area