U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,753 posts, read 14,764,880 times
Reputation: 2029

Advertisements

Kenwood Drive-In goes dark | courier-journal.com | The Courier-Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2009, 01:27 PM
 
49 posts, read 102,897 times
Reputation: 45
I was so disappointed when I heard the Kenwood was closed. That's always been "the drive in" for me; it isn't really summer til it's drive in season!

But if you're in the mood for a drive in movie, I've treked over to Georgetown, IN twice now; the theatre is smaller, but they've got two screens. We actually opened the back of minivan and watched one movie on the front screen, then the second movie on the back screen! (Since we'd already seen the second double feature they were showing on the front screen.)

And their food is great, the prices reasonable. On late nights they serve breakfast! And there's this really cool family-friendly, small town feel to the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,753 posts, read 14,764,880 times
Reputation: 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmissi View Post
I was so disappointed when I heard the Kenwood was closed. That's always been "the drive in" for me; it isn't really summer til it's drive in season!

But if you're in the mood for a drive in movie, I've treked over to Georgetown, IN twice now; the theatre is smaller, but they've got two screens. We actually opened the back of minivan and watched one movie on the front screen, then the second movie on the back screen! (Since we'd already seen the second double feature they were showing on the front screen.)

And their food is great, the prices reasonable. On late nights they serve breakfast! And there's this really cool family-friendly, small town feel to the place.
But it means having to go to... GASP!.... Indiana! LOL Just kidding but I don't know where Georgetown is which means to me it's too far to go for a movie.
I have been looking forward to the drive-in since I bought my truck, back it in, set up some chairs in the bed and watch but Noooooo, the dang things gone! First Otter Creek and now this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2009, 08:42 PM
 
Location: louisville, ky
252 posts, read 588,343 times
Reputation: 90
georgetown is just a few exits up off of 64 in indiana. really not that far at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2009, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,753 posts, read 14,764,880 times
Reputation: 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
georgetown is just a few exits up off of 64 in indiana. really not that far at all.
I'll keep that im mind, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 669,404 times
Reputation: 499
Nmissi and MissyMof3, I totally agree with you! Summer ain't summer with a drive in; pick ups and El Camino's are the best for drive ins.

Why do they shut down things like this? Is it because people just don't go? I mean, it's been a while since I was at a drive in, well, 6 years anyway, but I've never been where there wasn't a gazillion cars.

What a shame.

But Georgetown isn't very far. I've not been to the drive in there; but it's close enough to still make it worthwhile.

Nmissi, do you know how late in the year they're open? Like early-mid October?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,753 posts, read 14,764,880 times
Reputation: 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Nmissi and MissyMof3, I totally agree with you! Summer ain't summer with a drive in; pick ups and El Camino's are the best for drive ins.

Why do they shut down things like this? Is it because people just don't go? I mean, it's been a while since I was at a drive in, well, 6 years anyway, but I've never been where there wasn't a gazillion cars.

What a shame.

But Georgetown isn't very far. I've not been to the drive in there; but it's close enough to still make it worthwhile.

Nmissi, do you know how late in the year they're open? Like early-mid October?


I just bought an F-150 back in January and was looking forward to the drive-in in it but dang it, along with otter Creek it's gone, at least for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
1,447 posts, read 3,037,982 times
Reputation: 808
Honestly, for a trip back in time to old-fashioned American, treat yourself to a trip to the Georgetown Drive-In in Indiana. It's like going back to the 50's! Also, they usually have good first run movies, I guess because they are just out of the geographic area of Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2011, 09:42 PM
 
1 posts, read 730 times
Reputation: 13
Default Kenwood Drive-in Theatre Pending Sale and reopening Soon!

The Kenwood Drive-in Theatre in Louisville, KY Is currently owned by National Amusements but is currently pending a sale and being bought by us and if the offer is accepted then the theatre will reopen in 2011, See you at the Movies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 669,404 times
Reputation: 499
Oooh, hope so! I love going to the drive in the in Autumn, which is usually when I come home for a visit! Would love to take my nephew; he's only seen them in movies and thinks they look really weird but wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top